PDA

View Full Version : is b2r rare?

crossover
03-18-2017, 04:02 AM
I recently got my grandpa's uncle's results. While ftdna simply gave him haplogroup b2, jameslick's website labeled his mtdna as b2r(it was the top match). So far, he only has one hvr1 match.

Gisele H
04-20-2017, 01:00 AM
While ftdna simply gave him haplogroup b2, jameslick's website labeled his mtdna as b2r....

B2r is defined by a deletion at site no. 5899 (in addition to B2 markers) and is, therefore, impossible to recognize with just the HVR portions of sequences. Since mtDNA deletions are not always very reliable markers, it is even possible that B2r is not a valid group. I have only collected two complete "B2r" sequences thus far, both Hispanic, and Mitotool shows none.

crossover
04-25-2017, 11:04 PM
B2r is defined by a deletion at site no. 5899 (in addition to B2 markers) and is, therefore, impossible to recognize with just the HVR portions of sequences. Since mtDNA deletions are not always very reliable markers, it is even possible that B2r is not a valid group. I have only collected two complete "B2r" sequences thus far, both Hispanic, and Mitotool shows none.

that sounds confusing. i should mention that i tested my my great great uncle at full sequence level, and that sometimes after i made this post- ftdna updated their mtdna clade designations and his went from b2 to b2r. also i can't get his dna on genbank since he passed away on april 3.