PDA

View Full Version : haplogroup r0 in Ireland

sonofhatton
03-18-2017, 10:44 PM
Hello, according to Wegene, my mtdna is r0.
My mothers maternal lineage comes from Ireland
Dont know where in ireland but her maternal side has red hair and brown eyes.[i know that in ireland brown eyes are rare]
Does this indicate a jewish ancestor or how would this haplogroup get into ireland?
I do know that Europeans associate red hair with jews though in the USA most people would think that someone is Irish if they have red hair.
Thanks for any response.

Melcombe
08-25-2017, 06:03 PM
I do know that Europeans associate red hair with jews though in the USA most people would think that someone is Irish if they have red hair.

Seriously?

Red hair is very common throughout the UK & Ireland and particularly prevalent in Scotland.

When I discovered a red-headed acquaintance was jewish, I must admit to being quite surprised - none of my other jewish friends & acquaintances (E European & Sephardi) have even a hint of red hair.

As for brown eyes in Ireland, I'd put them in a majority if you include hazel. They really are very common indeed.

Bear in mind that Ireland has been a popular stopping off place for seaborne travellers for millennia - the post ice-age populations have had fairly large scale deliveries of germanic & scandinavian DNA to top up the original post ice-age population.

PAdeutsch
07-31-2019, 07:21 AM
As for brown eyes in Ireland, I'd put them in a majority if you include hazel. They really are very common indeed.

Based on the 10,000 young Irishman observed between 1934 and 1936 by Earnest A. Hooton and C. Wesley Dupertuis, a slight majority of 52.7% had mixed eyes. Of these mixed eyes, 77.2% were classified as light-mixed and only 22.8% the even-mixed or dark-mixed eyes that would regarded as a typical hazel. Of the 77.2% light-Mixed eyes, 59.3% were classified as pronouncedly light mixed which could include blue-green or blue eyes that are slightly yellowish.

The vast majority of the unmixed eyes were pure blue eyes with 42.4% Overall. Most of the remainder is grey or grey-blue at 4.4% Overall. Less than .5% of the total series had pure brown eyes.

It seems as though brown and typical Hazel eyes are only about 1/8 of the Irish population, far from being a majority. The Irish are truly a remarkably light eyed population.

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=wu.89058374257;view=plaintext;seq=77;skin=mo bile

artemv
08-01-2019, 05:21 PM
Hello, according to Wegene, my mtdna is r0.
My mothers maternal lineage comes from Ireland
Dont know where in ireland but her maternal side has red hair and brown eyes.[i know that in ireland brown eyes are rare]
Does this indicate a jewish ancestor or how would this haplogroup get into ireland?
Thanks for any response.

Most important thing about uniparental DNA is to know the TMRCA of happlogroup.
So, R0 happogroup emerged from 23,600 to 54,900 years ago. That's too much time. Jews as a group of people are just about 3000 years old.
Probably if you know the sub-branch that would tell you more.

Only recent Jewish admixture will influence phenotype, some direct female line distant Jewish/Arab ancestor (10 or more generations ago) could not result in changing eye colour or things like that.

You can check this site, and see that R0 was already present in Europe 3000 BCE (although at a low frequency).
https://amtdb.org/records/

Use autosome results to check if there could be some recent Jewish (or other Mediterranean) admixure.