PDA

View Full Version : Can someone help me interpret my 23andme results? Still confused.

jpb
03-22-2017, 12:12 AM
Here are my results:

100% European
92.5% Northwestern European
33.6% British and Irish
15.3% French and German
6.0% Scandinavian
37.5% Broadly Northwestern European
1.3% Ashkenazi Jewish
1.1% Eastern European
0.8% Southern European
0.8% Broadly Southern European
4.3% Broadly European
<0.1% Unassigned

I would like some help interpreting them and I recently discovered an NPE. I would love to know what these results seem like. Thank you!

evon
03-22-2017, 10:04 AM
Here are my results:

100% European
33.6% British and Irish
15.3% French and German
6.0% Scandinavian
1.3% Ashkenazi Jewish
1.1% Eastern European
0.8% Southern European
4.3% Broadly European
<0.1% Unassigned

I would like some help interpreting them and I recently discovered an NPE. I would love to know what these results seem like. Thank you!

That data alone wont help you with a NPE, you would have to start mapping your DNA matches to figure that out... From that data it seems you are a mixed person of mostly European ancestry with a touch of Jewish ancestry..

wombatofthenorth
03-24-2017, 04:58 AM
Maybe a ton of northern German or such. Could be some UK mixed in too, who knows.

sktibo
03-24-2017, 05:52 AM
To me, they look like the results of a French person with some Eastern European ancestry. It doesn't necessarily mean you're French - just that the mixture of whatever populations you are result in a French looking admixture... I'm guessing British Isles and Germany?

jpb
03-24-2017, 02:01 PM
Maybe a ton of northern German or such. Could be some UK mixed in too, who knows.

Thank you! Out of curiosity, what makes you think this? Is it the high Scandinavian? :)

A Norfolk L-M20
03-24-2017, 02:06 PM
100% European
33.6% British and Irish
15.3% French and German
6.0% Scandinavian
1.3% Ashkenazi Jewish
1.1% Eastern European
0.8% Southern European
4.3% Broadly European
<0.1% Unassigned

Mainly NW European: in this case English / Dutch / French / German / Danish can be some or either of. Also with some Eastern European as a minor admix.

jpb
03-24-2017, 03:16 PM
My great grandmother (who's 97!) did AncestryDNA 4 years ago by the advice of my grandma because she was adopted. We were able to find her birth family, and her mother was a Colonial American (English, Scottish) and her father was an immigrant from Saxony, Germany (Leipzig). She got 13% Europe East, so I think that may be where my Eastern European comes from.

jpb
03-24-2017, 11:56 PM
Also, I thought I should mention that I am a carrier for Familial Dysautonomia according to 23andme.

wombatofthenorth
03-25-2017, 01:52 AM
To me, they look like the results of a French person with some Eastern European ancestry. It doesn't necessarily mean you're French - just that the mixture of whatever populations you are result in a French looking admixture... I'm guessing British Isles and Germany?

doesn't the Southern European look pretty low for most French though?

wombatofthenorth
03-25-2017, 01:53 AM
Thank you! Out of curiosity, what makes you think this? Is it the high Scandinavian? :)

so little Southern European plus some decent bit of Scandinavian and a trace of Eastern European

jpb
03-25-2017, 03:12 AM
Currently I only have my tree back to my 2nd g-grandparents solidly.

Here are the birthplaces and ethnicities of each of them.

1. Bavaria, Germany
2. Nebraska to English (New England) parents
3. Kentucky to Scots-Irish and English Parents
4. Same as (3)
5. New York to parents of likely Dutch and North German descent
6. Virginia to English and Scottish parents
7. Ohio to English, Irish, German, and French parents
8. Lower Saxony, Germany
9. Iowa to Scottish, Irish, Dutch, and Welsh parents
10. Northern Ireland
11. Virginia to English parents
12. Missouri with English and Bavarian parents
13. South Dakota to English and North German parents
14. Posen, Germany
15. Saxony, Germany
16. Nebraska to English parents

sktibo
03-25-2017, 03:56 AM
doesn't the Southern European look pretty low for most French though?

Yeah, definitely low, but I think it's close.. maybe east English isn't a bad fit either. I'll take a look at Norfolk's 23andme English results chart

Tolan
03-25-2017, 04:48 AM
Here are my results:

100% European
33.6% British and Irish
15.3% French and German
6.0% Scandinavian
1.3% Ashkenazi Jewish
1.1% Eastern European
0.8% Southern European
4.3% Broadly European
<0.1% Unassigned

Here is your average position:

I think it's fairly typical for a white American, mainly Anglo-Saxon origin and a bit of continental Europe

jpb
03-25-2017, 04:57 AM
Thank you! Where did you get that?

A Norfolk L-M20
03-25-2017, 05:48 AM
I believe that I'm the atypical British red dot down in the French yellow.

sktibo
03-25-2017, 06:19 AM
That chart is really cool, how can we place ourselves on it?

Tolan
03-25-2017, 12:28 PM
I believe that I'm the atypical British red dot down in the French yellow.

Yes! :biggrin1:

Tolan
03-25-2017, 12:40 PM
I set a geographic average on the 23 and Me components with people unmixed results that I found on the internet or whom we friendly gave me.
And then, it's a coefficient story with your results.

This is not available on the internet.
If you want, you can give your results 23andme, but this is off topic's jpb!

A Norfolk L-M20
03-25-2017, 03:52 PM
Here is your average position:

I think it's fairly typical for a white American, mainly Anglo-Saxon origin and a bit of continental Europe

Closest distances on that to jpb are a Dutch tester and my SE English self. However, this doesn't mean that jpb has ancestry in the North Sea between SE England and the Northern Netherlands. He is also between England and Bavaria, and Spain and Scandinavia, etc. Still I do love these demonstrations. It pretty matches his known family history.

AnnieD
03-26-2017, 09:11 PM
Currently I only have my tree back to my 2nd g-grandparents solidly.

Here are the birthplaces and ethnicities of each of them.

1. Bavaria, Germany
2. Nebraska to English (New England) parents
3. Kentucky to Scots-Irish and English Parents
4. Same as (3)
5. New York to parents of likely Dutch and North German descent
6. Virginia to English and Scottish parents
7. Ohio to English, Irish, German, and French parents
8. Lower Saxony, Germany
9. Iowa to Scottish, Irish, Dutch, and Welsh parents
10. Northern Ireland
11. Virginia to English parents
12. Missouri with English and Bavarian parents
13. South Dakota to English and North German parents
14. Posen, Germany
15. Saxony, Germany
16. Nebraska to English parents

Settlers of Southeast Georgia
1700-1750:"Many English immigrants who went to Virginia in the 17th and early 18th century were the second or third sons of landed gentry who chose to leave Britain to support themselves because of the inheritance laws that favored first-born sons. Hundreds of indentured servants followed to labor on thriving cotton and tobacco plantations. Peasants in southwestern Germany, devastated by decades of war and famine, and the Salzburgers and Moravians, escaping religious persecution, went to North Carolina to try their hand at taming the American wilderness."You are more mid-western USA than me, but regarding your more southern regions in #3, 6 & 11 and some of your German, you might find the beta Genetic Genealogies feature at AncestryDNA of interest.

Settlers of the North Carolina Foothills & Northwest South Carolina
1725 - 1775:

"Peasants in southwestern Germany were devastated by the French who burned their land and destroyed their villages. Multiple famines around the same time added to their terrible situation. When English agents from the American colony of Carolina promised free passage and land, many took the offer and went to North Carolina to try their hand at taming the American wilderness. Pennsylvania and Virginia also became popular destinations for many Scots and Scots-Irish who were fleeing political unrest."

I am not certain where the Germans for modern mid-western Americans are primarily from. You may have some mixing with Scandinavians in the Dakota, Nebraska and other northern / mid-western states. My guess with your heritage background is that you are going to see a pull in different NW Euro directions on various admixture tools.