PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for searching haplogroups with too-small letter count?

Dewsloth
03-29-2017, 06:29 PM
I can't search for "H1j" mtDNA by itself because it's too short, and if I search for "H1j mtDNA" I get all "mtDNA" hits. Any tips?

C J Wyatt III
03-29-2017, 06:34 PM
I can't search for "H1j" mtDNA by itself because it's too short, and if I search for "H1j mtDNA" I get all "mtDNA" hits. Any tips?

What are you searching?

Wing Genealogist
03-29-2017, 07:11 PM
If you go to: https://www.familytreedna.com/public/mayflowersociety?iframe=mtresults You will see this project has three mtDNA descendants of Elizabeth (Walker) Warren, and all three are H1j.

Dewsloth
03-29-2017, 07:13 PM
What are you searching?

In this particular instance, searching the Advanced Search "Single Content Type" for the mtDNA haplogroup of H1j. But it could just as easily be someone searching for y-DNA "L51" mentions. The haplogroup designations are too short for the search function.

C J Wyatt III
03-29-2017, 07:22 PM
In this particular instance, searching the Advanced Search "Single Content Type" for the mtDNA haplogroup of H1j. But it could just as easily be someone searching for y-DNA "L51" mentions. The haplogroup designations are too short for the search function.

OK, you are searching Anthrogenica posts.

Thanks,

Jack

Dewsloth
03-29-2017, 07:34 PM
If you go to: https://www.familytreedna.com/public/mayflowersociety?iframe=mtresults You will see this project has three mtDNA descendants of Elizabeth (Walker) Warren, and all three are H1j.

Yep, Dad's Nat Geno partial data seems to match up with them nicely. I hope they do another FMS sale, soon. Maybe Mothers' Day?

Osiris
03-29-2017, 07:38 PM
You could google H1j anthrogenica.

Or search for T4733C

Dewsloth
03-29-2017, 07:38 PM
OK, you are searching Anthrogenica posts.

Thanks,

Jack

Yeah, I was curious to see if it had been mentioned much, but Anthrogenica's search function doesn't seem to like boolean search strings like "H1j and (mtDNA or haplogroup or haplotype or mito! or umbilical)"
I was hoping someone might have a workaround.

C J Wyatt III
03-29-2017, 07:45 PM
Yeah, I was curious to see if it had been mentioned much, but Anthrogenica's search function doesn't seem to like boolean search strings like "H1j and (mtDNA or haplogroup or haplotype or mito! or umbilical)"
I was hoping someone might have a workaround.

Apparently " * " works as a wild card so I used " H1j* " to get the search target long enough.

Jack

Dewsloth
03-29-2017, 07:52 PM
Apparently " * " works as a wild card so I used " H1j* " to get the search target long enough.

Jack

Perfect! Thanks.

swid
03-29-2017, 08:04 PM
Using:

site:anthrogenica.com "whatever you're searching for"

in a search engine invariably provides more relevant search results than using vBulletin's native search functionality.

C J Wyatt III
03-29-2017, 11:12 PM
Using:

site:anthrogenica.com "whatever you're searching for"

in a search engine invariably provides more relevant search results than using vBulletin's native search functionality.

Wow! That's great. Thank you for the tip.

Jack