PDA

View Full Version : 12,000 yr old 'Mexican' girl had a very hard life

MikeWhalen
04-05-2017, 07:06 PM
I hope this is the right sub forum for this, if not, admins feel free to move it appropriately

I ran into this article from a few days ago, and remembered hearing the original news of how it was found in an underwater cave in the Yucatán Peninsula in 2007. I thought the tidbits they were able to pull out from examining her bones was fascinating

...although I must confess to feeling a bit sad for her...she was barely more than a child herself and had already had a child and had many signs of chronic malnutrition and a hard life. Then, to finish it all off, she fell (or was pushed/thrown) into a big scary pit where he bones rested for one long assed time till 'we' found her

http://www.nature.com/news/ancient-bones-reveal-girl-s-tough-life-in-early-americas-1.21753

Mike

Grossvater
04-05-2017, 10:59 PM
That poor girl...I wonder what her story really is. I have followed this because I have a cousin with roots in the Cayuse-Walla Walla tribes of Northeast Oregon who carries the same mtdna as "Naia."

razyn
02-08-2018, 07:26 AM
The PBS NOVA special "The First Face of America" that aired earlier tonight is based on the discovery, recovery and analysis of this girl's remains. It also includes discussion of Kennewick Man, the Anzick child, and a couple of 11,000 year old Beringean babies recovered in Alaska. Ancient DNA was not a large part of the program, but the person narrating most of that segment on camera was Eske Willerslev, so it was very well informed. Well worth watching.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/evolution/first-face-america.html

Grossvater
02-08-2018, 03:56 PM
I wonder if Naia's genome will be released so that comparisons can be made on the GEDMATCH calculators. My wife and daughter-in-law (both of Native American descent) both share small separate segments of DNA with the Anzick child. I'd love to know if Naia is also distant kin.

Safedrugs
02-08-2018, 05:46 PM
I am also Walla Walla-Cayuse , we just have mtDNA that shows C1c, not sure of the tribe but from Walla Walla area.

Saetro
02-08-2018, 07:55 PM
I wonder if Naia's genome will be released so that comparisons can be made on the GEDMATCH calculators. My wife and daughter-in-law (both of Native American descent) both share small separate segments of DNA with the Anzick child. I'd love to know if Naia is also distant kin.

Following the connections from the link in the first message in the thread leads to this news item https://www.nature.com/news/mexican-skeleton-gives-clue-to-american-ancestry-1.15226

Which leads to this article http://science.sciencemag.org/content/344/6185/750
The supplementary data appears to be behind a paywall.
There is another version of just the article here.
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Thomas_Stafford_Jr/publication/262381885_Late_Pleistocene_Human_Skeleton_and_mtDN A_Link_Paleoamericans_and_Modern_Native_Americans/links/0a85e537cb1a521f84000000/Late-Pleistocene-Human-Skeleton-and-mtDNA-Link-Paleoamericans-and-Modern-Native-Americans.pdf

The openly available abstract and some other comments are below.
They provide the information that they found mtDNA haplogroup D1

American Beauty
Modern Native American ancestry traces back to an East Asian migration across Beringia. However, some Native American skeletons from the late Pleistocene show phenotypic characteristics more similar to other, more geographically distant, human populations. Chatters et al. (p. 750) describe a skeleton with a Paleoamerican phenotype from the eastern Yucatan, dating to approximately 12 to 13 thousand years ago, with a relatively common extant Native American mitochondrial DNA haplotype. The Paleoamerican phenotype may thus have evolved independently among Native American populations.

Abstract
Because of differences in craniofacial morphology and dentition between the earliest American skeletons and modern Native Americans, separate origins have been postulated for them, despite genetic evidence to the contrary. We describe a near-complete human skeleton with an intact cranium and preserved DNA found with extinct fauna in a submerged cave on Mexico’s Yucatan Peninsula. This skeleton dates to between 13,000 and 12,000 calendar years ago and has Paleoamerican craniofacial characteristics and a Beringian-derived mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) haplogroup (D1). Thus, the differences between Paleoamericans and Native Americans probably resulted from in situ evolution rather than separate ancestry.

Celt_??
02-08-2018, 08:11 PM
ADMIN: Please delete my new thread under Human Evolution about the same PBS video:

https://anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?13402-First-Face-of-America-13-000-year-old-skeleton-found-in-Mexican-cave-under-waterhttps://anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?13402-First-Face-of-America-13-000-year-old-skeleton-found-in-Mexican-cave-under-water

Onur Dincer
02-09-2018, 06:09 AM
The thread has been moved from the General section to the Health and Fitness section.

Celt_??
02-09-2018, 01:23 PM
Da ?? That is really inappropriate. This research has to do with the migration of the human species into North and South America via Beringea and the evolution of the native Indians in the Americas. The child's fall was the cause of her death but NOT the essense of this research.

razyn
02-09-2018, 05:38 PM
I agree, this is not about health and fitness. The Feb. 2018 NOVA program is most appropriately addressed on an existing thread in the Ancient DNA forum, and I posted more details and links there. https://anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?7447-Ancient-DNA-revealing-the-peopling-of-the-Americas&p=345294&viewfull=1#post345294

Naia herself may not have produced a good enough DNA sample for NextGen sequencing; I couldn't determine that from the program (which I watched three times). Anyway it argues in support of the hypothesis of a "Beringian standstill" for about 10,000 years while present Canada was under an ice sheet, but Beringia wasn't (and was still connected to eastern Siberia). All of the Native American aDNA samples (including Naia, who does not appear in studies limited to North America) from the Clovis culture (Anzick child, etc.) to European contact can be traced to admixed Beringian migrant populations, with more distant ancestry in several parts of Asia.

Webb
02-09-2018, 06:47 PM

What size segments, if you don't mind me asking? Do you share any segments with them?

Grossvater
02-09-2018, 08:23 PM
What size segments, if you don't mind me asking? Do you share any segments with them?

The segments are quite small. My wife (who is only approximately 30% Native American) shares a 6.0 cM segment on chromosome 9 with the Anzick child. My daughter-in-law, who is 86% Native American shares a 6.0 cM segment on chromosome 21.

Although I have one paper-trail Native American ancestor who lived in the early 18th Century, I inherited a very miniscule amount of her DNA...making me what my Native American friends would call a "nose-bleed" NDN. Oddly enough, I do carry two 5.0 cM sections on chromosomes 3 and 20 in common with the 45,000 year old Ust-Ishim man.

I don't know enough about the science to think this is something unusual and cool or just really, really common.

Webb
02-09-2018, 08:48 PM
The segments are quite small. My wife (who is only approximately 30% Native American) shares a 6.0 cM segment on chromosome 9 with the Anzick child. My daughter-in-law, who is 86% Native American shares a 6.0 cM segment on chromosome 21.

Although I have one paper-trail Native American ancestor who lived in the early 18th Century, I inherited a very miniscule amount of her DNA...making me what my Native American friends would call a "nose-bleed" NDN. Oddly enough, I do carry two 5.0 cM sections on chromosomes 3 and 20 in common with the 45,000 year old Ust-Ishim man.

I don't know enough about the science to think this is something unusual and cool or just really, really common.

That's interesting. I was curious because you are U152 and I'm DF27, meaning is this something that all R1b guys have a little bit of? I have no reportable Native American but even at 2.0 cM is still share segments with Clovis and Ust-Ishim man.

Celt_??
02-10-2018, 12:28 AM
That's interesting. I was curious because you are U152 and I'm DF27, meaning is this something that all R1b guys have a little bit of? I have no reportable Native American but even at 2.0 cM is still share segments with Clovis and Ust-Ishim man.

Is it not possible that the R1b individuals obtained these segments from the same original source as the Native Americans - perhaps 15,000 years ago from ANE?