PDA

View Full Version : How many matches do you have?

Tz85
04-09-2017, 06:19 PM
Hey all

I'm testing my dna for the 3rd time, this time with 23andme. I was wondering, how many matches do you have? What should I expect?

Stephen1986
04-09-2017, 09:57 PM
The number of matches for my brother and myself has fluctuated a lot in the last year or so. Currently, I have 1354 matches whilst my brother has 1234.

The number of matches depends a lot on your ancestry - people with British/Irish and Colonial American ancestry will have a larger amount of matches, as will those with Ashkenazi ancestry, whilst people with ancestry less common on 23andMe (for example, Eastern Europeans, Africans, Asians etc) are likely to have a smaller number of matches.

firemonkey
04-09-2017, 10:03 PM
714 matches.

JFWinstone
04-09-2017, 10:24 PM
I currently have 812 on 23andme. That's down 40 since I last looked.

rod
04-09-2017, 10:54 PM
1504 total including 354 anonymous
9 identified relationships (2nd cousin 1 removed - 5th cousin) including 2 who have died

Tz85
04-09-2017, 11:03 PM
Although I'm over 25% Jewish, I'm also heavily Slavic and Southern Italian, so I probably wont have a ton of matches. I have 4000 at Ancestry. Does 23andme have a large Jewish database?

Calas
04-10-2017, 12:26 AM
I am likely a bad example given my (bourgeoisie) ancestry. Yes, I'm British, not a Martian, but then an American friend almost has fits about my "isolation factor" and lack of relatives on most of these sites.

524 matches, about 3/4ths of which falls into the "distant" category.

My sibling on 23&me gets a whopping 451 matches.

hdurmic
04-11-2017, 12:24 AM
1,362 total. 933 non-anonymous.

geebee
04-11-2017, 01:03 AM
I have 1295; my father has 1312. I could look up the numbers for the other 8 folks in my group, but I think they'd mostly be comparable. The closest relative beyond my immediate family is a 2nd cousin.

At Ancestry, I have close to 250 pages of matches. There my closest relatives -- not counting my daughter -- are two 1st cousins once removed. They're 2nd cousins to each other, and to my daughter. I also have a 2nd cousin at Ancestry.

The funny thing is, it turns out that the 2nd cousin at 23andMe and the 2nd cousin at Ancestry are 1st cousins to each other.

wombatofthenorth
04-11-2017, 06:05 AM
I have 1373 and my mom has 1424 and my dad has 1370, which oddly seems larger than many above got, considering I've mostly Latvian ancestry! Of course most of my matches are very small and I think I top out at 0.41% (I think my mom hits 0.5%) and by my third page I already hit under 0.2% matches and I have tons around 0.08%.

I don't know if that one distant Barclay (Scottish/English eventually, not sure how far back they arrived in Latvia, certainly by lateish 1700s and maybe some bit earlier) ancestor is somehow doing it or maybe the bit of Baltic German and likely the one Dutch and those are just enough to boost it all up? And my dad probably, somehow has some bit of Germany or Western European.

wombatofthenorth
04-11-2017, 06:07 AM
Honestly I am rather stunned I have twice as many as some above who seem to be from areas way better tested. Very curious indeed.

We are all chip V4. I wonder if maybe to try to match V3 people they didn't have to do a lot of imputation guessing and over-boosted the small matches for V4 people??

wombatofthenorth
04-11-2017, 06:16 AM
Maybe it is the well known Barclay family and just being distantly related to them allow for lots of matches, maybe my dad's R-L20 comes illegit from some German Baron and that baron line spread DNA all over the place way back when??? Maybe those listing above are just outliers and maybe those from the UK don't really get all that many, it's just Americans of largely UK ancestry who get tons of matches and tons of close ones. It does seem lots American have their LAST page at like 0.2%, which is almost getting near my top. Maybe nobody in Europe gets tons. But I'd still have imagine anyone from UK would get more than me, not half as many.

One odd thing is my dad has a few very distant matches who have these seemingly all-American trees going back to early 1800s/1700s and then go either all Irish and a little English one a few branches or German on one branch or a very few where it just seems to stay in America as far back as they worked out.

Codger
04-14-2017, 10:33 AM
Maybe those listing above are just outliers and maybe those from the UK don't really get all that many, it's just Americans of largely UK ancestry who get tons of matches and tons of close ones. It does seem lots American have their LAST page at like 0.2%, which is almost getting near my top.

maybe everyone just needs to retest somewhere else. The cynical side of me suggests they might just be focusing on major markers or mutations that adds up to more for some people, less for others of the supposed same type. just some odd key string than a real comparisons.

I was about in the six hundred range before but after the move been cut by two hundred, and the majority now are small chance, far distant cousins.

While my chart has gone to mostly broad and uploading the data since the move is giving me way too much variability between other sites now to not think something has been screwed up in the process.

I'd ignore for months at a time or pretty much all of last year because it just seems like it was more of a sample problem of being a common type but with histories of unusual locations for it. I did get a couple hits with people that have similar histories before and they're still on my list. but a lot of people that were on my list before are excluded now, and with my chart, the rest of it, I just don't understand how they're interpreting it now. It's like every upgrade is one step forward and three steps back.

Calas
04-14-2017, 01:31 PM
I have 1373 and my mom has 1424 and my dad has 1370, which oddly seems larger than many above got, considering I've mostly Latvian ancestry! Of course most of my matches are very small and I think I top out at 0.41% (I think my mom hits 0.5%) and by my third page I already hit under 0.2% matches and I have tons around 0.08%.

I don't know if that one distant Barclay (Scottish/English eventually, not sure how far back they arrived in Latvia, certainly by lateish 1700s and maybe some bit earlier) ancestor is somehow doing it or maybe the bit of Baltic German and likely the one Dutch and those are just enough to boost it all up? And my dad probably, somehow has some bit of Germany or Western European.

You got to remember that most of these websites have a high American/colonial clientele base. A number likely have NPE questions or can't trace their ancestry that far. And despite the perception [/belief] of mostly British ancestry that isn't always the case. Many Europeans also went to the Americas and many had their names anglicized to something far more "British" in appearance. As I mentioned elsewhere about Poles in England similarly Poles in the America > Piotruś Nowakowski, for example, could have so easily become Peter Newman[/fellow].

AntG
04-14-2017, 02:15 PM
I have 663 matches. In the last week, I've finally got a semi-decent match, maybe 2C1R, on my unknown father's side, yet there is no option to send them a message or anything :( The UK are still on the old experience (expected to change late June), so I'm hoping the new experience will allow me to contact said match somehow.

Match image... (thumbnail is tiny)...

NiloSaharan
04-17-2017, 04:59 AM
I don't have any matches in a recent genealogical time-frame but thought I'd chime in anyway :)

I only have one match, a distant Cuban cousin with paternal mulatto ancestry.

My musings on a possible connection:
Since most of my GEDmatches are African-American, I thought it was a bit ironic to have my only detected 23andMe match be Cuban instead of African-American. I later learned Cuba was one of the last in the western-hemisphere to abolish slavery in the 1860s, I'm guessing this match might be related through the Swahili-Arab slave trade from the hinterland to the coast.

Apparently, Cuba had a substantial amount of slaves from East-Africa, "From 1790 to 1840, those from Africa's eastern-coast constituted approximately 10 percent of the overall trade to Cuba" (Finch, 2015 (https://books.google.ca/books?id=RyQUCAAAQBAJ&pg=PA28&lpg=PA28&dq=cuban+slaves+mozambique&source=bl&ots=1GRxQQbE0G&sig=BRHm4sgiLJ2kWZ0-BI8-PkpeQKc&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjv-_vnzqrTAhVr1oMKHdMWBbYQ6AEISDAG#v=onepage&q=cuban%20slaves%20mozambique&f=false))

...more musings here (http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?6465-Echoes-of-the-East-African-Slave-Trade-Distant-Diasporic-Matches-IBS-or-IBD).

For comparison, here's my amount of matches with the big 3 along with their GEDmatches (*5cM/500SNPs threshold):

23andeMe (1)
- GEDmatch (22)

Ancestry (4)
- GEDmatch (31)

FTDNA (0)
-GEDmatch (30)

I noticed with newly detected distant (5-8cM) GEDmatches that tested with 23andMe (V3/V4 chip), for some reason don't appear as matches on my 23andme profile -- I'm not sure if this is because of their matching algorithm filtering out IBS matches or if it's because 23andme hasn't updated my profile's matches due to my kit being non-US. I know my genealogy is comparatively very isolated but damn -- I haven't had a new 23andme match since I first got my results in January, 2015.

Another sidenote, compared to ancestry and ftdna, less distant (5-8cM) gedmatches were observed with 23andme's V4 kit becauce of its lower SNP resolution.

Anyhow, to answer your question on how many matches to expect, since you're 25% Jewish, I'd reach out specifically to forum members with Jewish/ more similar ancestry to get better comparisons

Dorsetshireman
04-22-2017, 09:17 PM
I only have 638, though perhaps still being on the 'old experience' affects this.

Tz85
05-13-2017, 06:50 PM
Turns out I have around 1300. Not too bad, was expecting more.

asm
09-03-2017, 03:04 PM
31 FtDNA

1564 Gedmatch

sgdavies@hotmail.com
09-03-2017, 03:09 PM
I have 1240 DNA relatives on 23andme. Vast majority of them in the US.

Amerijoe
09-03-2017, 03:49 PM

Well Steven, @1189, you beat me. I have provided my top country list which illustrates agreement with US majority. How
many UK matches were in your total? Joe

http://www.anthrogenica.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=18531&stc=1

sgdavies@hotmail.com
09-03-2017, 04:14 PM
Well Steven, @1189, you beat me. I have provided my top country list which illustrates agreement with US majority. How
many UK matches were in your total? Joe

http://www.anthrogenica.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=18531&stc=1

Hi Joe, here is mine.

JenneR
09-03-2017, 05:03 PM
Just tested at 23andme and got the V5 chip and I have 1205 matches. The majority are in the US, 10 in Canada, 5 in UK and 5 in Australia. No close or immediate family, yet.

On ancestry there are 386 4th cousins, 2 aunts, a great aunt, 4 second cousins (one in Australia) 4 3rd cousins and 450 pages in total.

ollie444
09-03-2017, 05:07 PM

Edging me out there, I have 1233!

EDIT: Pic 18536 Some suspiciously rounded/similar numbers in our results.

Amerijoe
09-03-2017, 05:19 PM
Hi Joe, here is mine.

Steven, do you have any known ancestors immigrating to the US? Mum's side had no known US transplants. She and I were the first of her family to come to the US. Does anyone have Ancestry's proportional breakdown of total test subjects per country? I guess for me being in an under tested clade and from under tested Scotland produces underwhelming results. All my matches are at a distance where no connections can be made. Since the US is the largest testing pot, do they always show up as #1 in matches with other ethnic members as well?

Amerijoe
09-03-2017, 05:27 PM
Just tested at 23andme and got the V5 chip and I have 1205 matches. The majority are in the US, 10 in Canada, 5 in UK and 5 in Australia. No close or immediate family, yet.

On ancestry there are 386 4th cousins, 2 aunts, a great aunt, 4 second cousins (one in Australia) 4 3rd cousins and 450 pages in total.

Welcome, JenneR, could you please provide some background, known ancestry would be great, for comparative purposes.
Thanks, :) Joe

sgdavies@hotmail.com
09-03-2017, 06:00 PM
Joe,
Until recently the only known family to move to the US, was a second cousin moved about 1988, and then 2 brothers of my maternal Grans dad in about 1900.

Recently I had a match on my DNA relatives with 1.1% shared dna, I managed to make the link to my paternal great grand fathers sisters sons who both emigrated to the US! Early 20 C, I was only able to make the link as the common surname was “Lane”, an not so common Irish surname, and also she had she had married a Mathias, also a not so common surname.
So the 1% match was in fact a third cousin once removed, amazed we still share that much dna.

JenneR
09-05-2017, 07:46 PM
My dads side is 100% Colonial American, primarily from Virginia. On ancestry, Im in the Early Settlers of the lower Midwest and Virginia genetic community, it fits the paper trail.

Maternal grandfathers family came to the US from Wales in the early 1800's and settled in Ohio, they were coal miners. Maternal grandmothers family immigrated to Australia from Ireland in the early 1800's, they had primarily Irish background and some Scottish. My grandmother immigrated to the US from Australia during WWII.

My Australia matches are definitely maternal, UK probably is too.