PDA

View Full Version : Hazel Eye Colour

J Man
06-17-2013, 01:28 PM
I wonder if DMXX is still working on his eye colour project at all? I am wondering if he managed to find any SNPs that seem to be directly linked to hazel (green-brown eyes)?...I have noticed that hazel (green-brown) seems to be an actual distinct colour on it's own. A few of my friends actually have eyes that look to be very similar or almost the exact same as mine in having a light brown ring around the pupil and then a darker green colour on the outside. What can explain this colour?

rossa
06-17-2013, 03:14 PM
What is known of the hereditary process for eye color? I have brown eyes (in my family four of us each have brown and blue eyes), my wife's family all have blue eyes but our daughters have both green(that blue, gray, green color) eyes. I can't think of anyone in our two families with green eyes and the blue shades are more or less regualr blue.

AJL
06-17-2013, 05:10 PM
I wonder if DMXX is still working on his eye colour project at all? I am wondering if he managed to find any SNPs that seem to be directly linked to hazel (green-brown eyes)?...I have noticed that hazel (green-brown) seems to be an actual distinct colour on it's own. A few of my friends actually have eyes that look to be very similar or almost the exact same as mine in having a light brown ring around the pupil and then a darker green colour on the outside. What can explain this colour?

Mine are similar though more grey than green.

My father has grey eyes (his mother has grey, his father has blue-grey). Meanwhile my mother has brown, and her father was brown-eyed but her mother blue-eyed.

Eye colour is conferred by multiple alleles: while I am not up to DMXX's knowledge it appears from my very small test case that hazel arises from a mix of brown and non-brown alleles in some combination (i.e. I probably got some of my maternal grandmother's blue for which my mother was heterozygous, combined with some of my father's grey-blue, overriding the dominance of brown).

On this oversimplifying eye inheritance calculator (http://www.athro.com/evo/inherit.html), if we count grey as blue, I should have green eyes, despite not having any of the green genes! My guess is hazel is a variant of that kind of "greenless green" that arises from a grey allele somewhere in the mix.

J Man
06-17-2013, 07:54 PM
Mine are similar though more grey than green.

My father has grey eyes (his mother has grey, his father has blue-grey). Meanwhile my mother has brown, and her father was brown-eyed but her mother blue-eyed.

Eye colour is conferred by multiple alleles: while I am not up to DMXX's knowledge it appears from my very small test case that hazel arises from a mix of brown and non-brown alleles in some combination (i.e. I probably got some of my maternal grandmother's blue for which my mother was heterozygous, combined with some of my father's grey-blue, overriding the dominance of brown).

On this oversimplifying eye inheritance calculator (http://www.athro.com/evo/inherit.html), if we count grey as blue, I should have green eyes, despite not having any of the green genes! My guess is hazel is a variant of that kind of "greenless green" that arises from a grey allele somewhere in the mix.

Hmm thanks that is interesting. My father has brown eyes and my mother has blue-grey. Mine are in between theirs although the ligght coloured part of my eyes can look green sometimes and like you say even a bit greyish sometimes I think. My brother on the other hand has pure brown eyes like my dad.

J Man
06-18-2013, 12:09 AM
It may be useful to post out eye colour results from GEDmatch as well. Here are my father's, mother's, my own and my brother's results.

Father (Brown eyes):

AC at: rs4778241 - High Melanin. Adds yellow, amber, or brown. Some darkening. Contributes Amber, Brown.
TT at: rs916977 - Adds melanin. Some darkening.
AG at: rs4778138 - Adds melanin. Adds yellow, amber, or brown. Some darkening. Contributes to brown.
GG at: rs7174027 - Blocks some melanin. Often gives light colored eyes.
CC at: rs1129038 - High Melanin production. Brown.
AA at: rs8033448 - Med Brown on Sphincter
AA at: rs1105879 - Weak Amber Gradient
GT at: rs7713279 - Inhibit weak amber gradient
GG at: rs12906280 - Gray ring around outer edge
GT at: rs1470608 - Medium melanin on Anterior Epithelium. Gives dark eyes.
CC at: rs7403602 - High density on Anterior Stroma. Blocks melanin. Blocks blue. Gives lighter colors.
AA at: rs12913832 - High melanin production on Anterior Epithelium. Adds yellow, amber, or brown. Some darkening. Contributes to brown.
CC at: rs1667394 - Increased melanin production on Anterior Epithelium. Adds yellow, amber, or brown. Some darkening.
GG at: rs16891982 - Starburst (Collarette)
CC at: rs12203592 - No pigmented Collarette.
CC at: rs4779685 - Flecks (Nevi).
GT at: rs1448485 - Inhibits weak amber gradient.

Mother (blue-grey eyes):

CC at: rs3794604 - Blocks some melanin. Often gives light colored eyes.
CC at: rs4778241 - Low Melanin. Basis for Gray, Blue, Green, or Yellow Eyes if no other pigmentation is present.
CC at: rs9782955 - Blocks some melanin. Often gives light colored eyes.
AA at: rs4778138 - Weak Amber Gradient
TT at: rs1129038 - Penetrance modifier. Blue.
TT at: rs1667394 - Starburst (Collarette)
TT at: rs35405 - Inhibit weak amber gradient

Mine (Hazel Eyes):

AC at: rs4778241 - High Melanin. Adds yellow, amber, or brown. Some darkening. Contributes Amber, Brown.
CT at: rs1129038 - Adds Yellow.
AA at: rs4778138 - Weak Amber Gradient
CT at: rs3935591 - Heavy melanin on Anterior Epithelium. Brown.
CT at: rs1667394 - Medium melanin production on Anterior Epithelium. Adds yellow, amber, or brown. Some darkening.
CT at: rs916977 - Adds melanin. Adds yellow, amber, or brown.

Brother (Brown eyes):

AG at: rs4778138 - Adds melanin. Adds yellow, amber, or brown. Some darkening. Contributes to brown.
CC at: rs4778241 - Low Melanin. Basis for Gray, Blue, Green, or Yellow Eyes if no other pigmentation is present.
CT at: rs1129038 - Adds Yellow.
AA at: rs8033448 - Med Brown on Sphincter
CT at: rs3935591 - Heavy melanin on Anterior Epithelium. Brown.
CT at: rs1667394 - Medium melanin production on Anterior Epithelium. Adds yellow, amber, or brown. Some darkening.
CT at: rs916977 - Adds melanin. Adds yellow, amber, or brown.
CC at: rs4779685 - Flecks (Nevi).

J Man
06-19-2013, 04:03 PM
Here are a few pics of my eyes in natural light. I took some in sunlight and some in shadow. What colours can you see in them?

http://imageshack.us/a/img571/131/004kjl.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img62/4734/s9kn.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img20/5053/dd95.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img12/4204/z6t4.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img442/3831/wmua.jpg

DMXX
06-19-2013, 05:39 PM
After DNA-Forums crashed, I lost the means to contact most of the members and request their permission to use their data in subsequent analyses. I managed to recover an updated spreadsheet with people's results, but it would be improper to continue using them without their awareness. However, I'm planning on reviving the project here on Anthrogenica now that I can assure the site's longevity as an administrator. This will happen over the summer holidays, where I'll be asking former participants (including you and AJL) for permission to carry on using your data.

With that aside, here are my Gedmatch results. Largely codes for brown eyes, some amber and lighter eye genotypes also present. That's largely consistent with my phenotype (always regarded my eyes as a form of hazel, brown eyes with amber-green exterior).

CT at: rs1800407 - Penetrance Modifier - Blue
CT at: rs989869 - Contrasting sphincter around pupil.
CT at: rs3947367 - Contrasting sphincter around pupil.
AA at: rs1105879 - Weak Amber Gradient
AA at: rs4778241 - Medium melanin on Anterior Epithelium. Brown.
CC at: rs7403602 - High density on Anterior Stroma. Blocks melanin. Blocks blue. Gives lighter colors.
GG at: rs7277820 - Penetrance modifier, Blue.
AG at: rs7174027 - Adds Yellow.
AA at: rs12913832 - High melanin production on Anterior Epithelium. Adds yellow, amber, or brown. Some darkening. Contributes to brown.
CC at: rs1667394 - Increased melanin production on Anterior Epithelium. Adds yellow, amber, or brown. Some darkening.
AG at: rs7495174 - Adds melanin. Adds yellow, amber, or brown. Some darkening. Contributes to brown.

J Man
06-19-2013, 05:49 PM
^Thanks DMXX and yes you have my permission to use my data again no problem. What colours do you see in my eyes?

DMXX
06-19-2013, 06:44 PM
^Thanks DMXX and yes you have my permission to use my data again no problem. What colours do you see in my eyes?

If I'm very specific, I see two zones; one with shades of green (dark---pale) and another with shades of brown (amber---medium brown).

The dark green layer is actually a limbal ring (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limbal_ring), a normal variant that supposedly changes with age. I believe in Gedmatch this is covered by rs12906280 (see my results, GG = "Gray ring around outer edge"). You are GG there, also. JOlson on DNA-Forums commented that it's a blue-ish tinged ring, but I don't know much about that qualification.

Overall, your eyes are the shade I'd typically expect of someone who is AG on rs12913832. This is the principal SNP (on HERC2) which determines light vs. dark eye colour in modern populations. Most AA's will be brown, most GG's will be green/blue eyed, but those with AG have plenty of variation between them due to other SNP's and genes. MC1R is a very good example of this.

J Man
06-20-2013, 11:41 PM
If I'm very specific, I see two zones; one with shades of green (dark---pale) and another with shades of brown (amber---medium brown).

The dark green layer is actually a limbal ring (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limbal_ring), a normal variant that supposedly changes with age. I believe in Gedmatch this is covered by rs12906280 (see my results, GG = "Gray ring around outer edge"). You are GG there, also. JOlson on DNA-Forums commented that it's a blue-ish tinged ring, but I don't know much about that qualification.

Overall, your eyes are the shade I'd typically expect of someone who is AG on rs12913832. This is the principal SNP (on HERC2) which determines light vs. dark eye colour in modern populations. Most AA's will be brown, most GG's will be green/blue eyed, but those with AG have plenty of variation between them due to other SNP's and genes. MC1R is a very good example of this.

Right okay I see thank you. My ''Limbal Ring'' is much greener than yours though is it not even though we both have GG at rs12906280?

DMXX
06-21-2013, 12:55 AM
Right okay I see thank you. My ''Limbal Ring'' is much greener than yours though is it not even though we both have GG at rs12906280?

Yes, mine is (as far as I can tell) a dark brown-grey shade and isn't green.

J Man
06-21-2013, 03:33 AM
Yes, mine is (as far as I can tell) a dark brown-grey shade and isn't green.

Something else must account for it then.

pollywood
10-28-2013, 09:10 AM
Hi all,
I'm new here but I have some advice. Go to GEDmatch and register there. After that, download your DNA results from 23andMe to GEDmatch (they give you directions). Then you can access their eye color predictor. It will give you results for many modifier genes that determine eye color and then it will actually post a drawing of what your eye color should be. They ask for feedback and a photo if they don't get it correct. They got my peculiar eye color dead on - a large center starburst of a reddish golden brown color, an outer color of dark olive green, and a gray ring around the iris. My mother was a natural blonde with yellow green eyes (very cat-like) and my father had brown eyes so I guess that my eye color is a combo of their eyes. My only child has hazel/green eyes.

http://www.gedmatch.com/

Pappy
08-13-2017, 03:39 AM
I've hazel "reflects green" eye color, OCA2, my wife has lite blue eyes "reflects green" OCA2
Our sons have 1) Normal Hazel, 2) Brown/ reflects green,3) Blue Yellow "hazel" reflects green.
It's my though that we all have semi translucent iris.
My eyes reflect green in low light, really trips people out when they first see it.
Probably going to start an OCA thread if anyone is interested

LauraHolland
08-15-2017, 12:39 PM
I recently did the gedmatch eye predictor for me, mum and my dad, and it was spot on with all, although my dad's eyes have gotten much lighter as he has gotten older, I did a photo with mine to compare (sorry if you don't eyes)
Mum's
Dad's
Mine
Mine with photo comparison