PDA

View Full Version : Curious Gedmatch Result.



peternorth
04-18-2017, 06:48 AM
Hi,


My genome has been posted on Gedmatch for a couple of months now, but the other day, I received a most curious new match.
The match seems to be with a pure Punjabi Indian Sikh gentleman. The match is over over 7 cm.

I am purely of European ancestry. I am certain that I have no non European ancestry, let alone Indian ancestry well within the 'historical' time period. It is the only non Euro match amongst hundreds of European matches.

Is this a real, deep historic time connection or is it down to some other effect?

I would be pleased to read the opinions of other commenters here.

JohnHowellsTyrfro
04-18-2017, 08:22 AM
Hi,


My genome has been posted on Gedmatch for a couple of months now, but the other day, I received a most curious new match.
The match seems to be with a pure Punjabi Indian Sikh gentleman. The match is over over 7 cm.

I am purely of European ancestry. I am certain that I have no non European ancestry, let alone Indian ancestry well within the 'historical' time period. It is the only non Euro match amongst hundreds of European matches.

Is this a real, deep historic time connection or is it down to some other effect?

I would be pleased to read the opinions of other commenters here.

You might find this link of interest, but others here know far more than me. I would just add that I have all - British ancestry too as far as I know, but I tend to get some percentages around the NW Pakistan region which I'm told most likely reflects ancient population structures. I also get an ancient population match at 7 cM with 8,000 year old Loschbour man which may not necessarily mean identical by descent, so I would guess the likelihood is you aren't related, but others may know more. John

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj5jJizxa3TAhWsIsAKHcWoB2gQFggvMAI&url=https%3A%2F%2Fisogg.org%2Fwiki%2FAutosomal_DNA _match_thresholds&usg=AFQjCNEu3mstCenxV-PohyHeG5YU3kO3Cg&sig2=nMMNAfrVz10aTWQGnKsoRA

kafky
10-19-2017, 09:11 PM
Hi! I do not know about your ancestry, but I am Portuguese and there are a few matches from India. That should be related to Portuguese colonization of India. Remember that India was a marriage gift gave by the Portuguese king to Uk. So if you have Portuguese ancestor, it may be possible to have distant link to India...

therrien.joel
10-27-2017, 12:27 AM
If you aren't seeing multiple matches like that and it's not above 11-12cM then it is very likely just random chance, or as the technical term goes: Identical By State.

Miqui Rumba
02-26-2018, 01:11 PM
Hi, I am native from Eastern Iberia and I uploaded a VCF to Gedmatch Genesis with my variant SNPs to Hg19 in my Dantelab's Whole Exome Sequencing test. My kit number is YA1705593. You can see I match most of FullGenomes kits and another NGS chips (also Vindija Neardenthals!). Eurogenes calculators show us mistaken eastern asian components. I think Gedmatch algorythms aren't ready for our chips.

fostert
02-26-2018, 02:15 PM
Hi,


My genome has been posted on Gedmatch for a couple of months now, but the other day, I received a most curious new match.
The match seems to be with a pure Punjabi Indian Sikh gentleman. The match is over over 7 cm.

I am purely of European ancestry. I am certain that I have no non European ancestry, let alone Indian ancestry well within the 'historical' time period. It is the only non Euro match amongst hundreds of European matches.

Is this a real, deep historic time connection or is it down to some other effect?

I would be pleased to read the opinions of other commenters here.

If the total segment is < 11 cM it is increasingly likely to be identical by state = random. At 7 cM in fact there is only a 30% chance it is identical-by-descent (truly inherited from a recent common ancestor) and a 70% chance it is IBS. Or it could be a segment that is common to the broader population of humans across the races an dno inherited from a recent common ancestor.

pauleug
04-19-2019, 03:14 AM
Could well be random