PDA

View Full Version : AncestryDNA autosomal database hits FOUR MILLION!

MacUalraig
04-23-2017, 05:24 PM
Almost the population of Scotland!

https://twitter.com/ancestry/status/855870110304751616

Angoliga
04-23-2017, 05:35 PM
"The AncestryDNA database grew from 3 to 4 million in the last 3 months. That's about as fast as babies are born in the United States"

I wonder if this takes processed kits into account or just those that've been ordered - that's still impressive

MacUalraig
04-23-2017, 05:47 PM
Don't know, but they were selling kits at WDYTYA in Birmingham the other day so hopefully some new UK matches coming soon.

MitchellSince1893
04-23-2017, 05:55 PM
Don't know, but they were selling kits at WDYTYA in Birmingham the other day so hopefully some new UK matches coming soon.

That's good news. Hopefully a close relative of my father's mystery english paternal great grandfather will buy a test.

geebee
04-23-2017, 06:27 PM
I'm glad to hear about the database size, but I'll never be satisfied with Ancestry until they drop their stubborn refusal to include a chromosome browser. I understand the privacy concerns, but a browser should still be available for those willing to choose a higher level of sharing, and willing to accept the associated risk.

It simply is not enough to say how much DNA you share with someone, if you have no way of knowing where the shared segments are.

Earl Davis
04-24-2017, 04:17 PM
I'm glad to hear about the database size, but I'll never be satisfied with Ancestry until they drop their stubborn refusal to include a chromosome browser. I understand the privacy concerns, but a browser should still be available for those willing to choose a higher level of sharing, and willing to accept the associated risk.

It simply is not enough to say how much DNA you share with someone, if you have no way of knowing where the shared segments are.

I can live without the full browser if they would only just provide the chromosome and positions of the matching segments.

C J Wyatt III
04-24-2017, 04:35 PM
Consumer DNA testing has become a really huge business. It's got to be worldwide at least a quarter billion USA dollars a year now. Most of the marketing is based on ethnicity testing which is probably the aspect that has the least sound basis to it.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some really big litigation against the main players a few years down the pike based on unsubstantiated claims. I do not see any disclaimers in the advertising from AncestryDNA, 23andMe, etc.

Jack

evon
04-24-2017, 09:46 PM
Almost the population of Scotland!

https://twitter.com/ancestry/status/855870110304751616

Was going to say, that is about the same size as my ethnic group, we are more or less around 4 Million give or take a few 100 000's..

Angoliga
04-25-2017, 12:14 AM
Consumer DNA testing has become a really huge business. It's got to be worldwide at least a quarter billion USA dollars a year now. Most of the marketing is based on ethnicity testing which is probably the aspect that has the least sound basis to it.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some really big litigation against the main players a few years down the pike based on unsubstantiated claims. I do not see any disclaimers in the advertising from AncestryDNA, 23andMe, etc.

Jack

There's been a petition (https://www.change.org/p/www-ancestry-com-requesting-that-ancestry-com-stops-labelling-horn-of-african-cluster-southeastern-bantu?source_location=topic_page)against AncestryDNA's "Africa Southeastern Bantu" cluster -- as of date, it's only garnered 42 supporters but complaints of this sort could materialize into something larger.

Of the big 3, Ancestry has done the worst job of labeling different East and Central African affinities despite well known works published for years in the field. I could understand if they just did a blanket regional grouping for East-Africa like FTDNA or 23andMe but Ancestry specifically decided to include the term "bantu" which is entirely misleading to their customers -- for an industry leader, this kind of negligence is laughable and pathetic

Thankfully ethnicity testing wasn't the sole purpose for me buying their kit

geebee
04-25-2017, 02:54 AM
I can live without the full browser if they would only just provide the chromosome and positions of the matching segments.

I'd rather have a full browser, but I'd be willing to accept what you're suggesting. It would definitely be an improvement over simply giving total cM and number of shared segments.

wombatofthenorth
04-25-2017, 07:20 PM
Was going to say, that is about the same size as my ethnic group, we are more or less around 4 Million give or take a few 100 000's..

And probably close to TWICE the total number of Latvians in the world!

evon
04-25-2017, 07:22 PM
And probably close to TWICE the total number of Latvians in the world!

Yeah I was shocked to hear how few of you there are :grouphug:

estevard
04-25-2017, 10:43 PM
... how few of you there are

But with a formidable extended family!