PDA

View Full Version : Adoption - where to start?

flannelberry
04-26-2017, 01:44 PM
Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance for reading this.

My mom was adopted and was believed to be First Nations at birth (she was too brown to be considered a "white" baby). I thought my Grandma was told her mom was FN (but I can't remember totally accurately and my Grandma is now long gone). I have done FT DNA testing as well as every GEDMatch calculator and get nothing that indicates that is the case.

I'm just wondering, in the case of a Pacific North West adoptee, which GEDMatch calculator to run to try to get a semblance of accuracy regarding my ethnic background. I have been mistaken for having Tibetan, FN, blood etc. as has my sister. It's one of the mysteries that I would love to solve. Oh - and my mom won't even talk about the fact that she's adopted nor will she get non-identifying medical information the chance of her testing is less than zero. I know it's not 100% reliable to "determine" ethnicity but it's something I'm interested in trying to learn more about.

My Haplogroup is H3C2B, my sister is H21 (I know that's weird. I'm chalking it up to her testing at Oxford Ancestors? IDK).

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

geebee
04-26-2017, 04:05 PM
H3c2b doesn't seem to be one of the haplogroups associated with First Nations. Those are A, B, C, D, and X -- or more precisely, specific subgroups of these.

Also, Ian Logan says that "Haplogroup H21 is a very small European group." http://www.ianlogan.co.uk/discussion/hap_H21.htm

That doesn't necessarily mean your mother wasn't First Nations, if she was admixed. But it does suggest that the line of her mother's mother's mother's mother (etc.) was likely not First Nations. However, I should also point out that I am not by any means an expert on the subject.

Hopefully someone who is will chime in soon. Meanwhile, my impression is that you're probably looking at a European mtDNA haplogroup, or possibly Middle Eastern (though I have seen the Caucasus suggested for H21).

EDIT: If I might ask, what sort of testing have you had done at FTDNA? Have you taken both their Family Finder test and an mtDNA test (especially the FGS), or just the latter?

If you haven't yet taken an autosomal DNA test, that probably be your next step.

flannelberry
04-26-2017, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the reply GB. Much appreciated.

I have done all of the female available testing from FTDNA. I have functionally zero GEDMatch results that suggest anything FN. I do get some results that others have speculated might indicate Turkish or even Romani, neither of which are impossible given that, although my mom was born in a pretty Anglo part of the world, there was a big influx of people who could be considered Balochi in the years just before her birth.

Thanks again for wading in.