PDA

View Full Version : 23 is currently updating

Zozoa
04-28-2017, 05:04 AM
Guess we will see what's new in the morning

Dibran
04-28-2017, 02:09 PM
Guess we will see what's new in the morning

Ancestry results? Or just the website layout?

I'd imagine it would take longer than a day.

Edward J
04-28-2017, 02:28 PM
They are supposed to be adding a new 'Countries of Ancestry' feature. Similar to the old PCA that used to be included before the overhaul.

geebee
04-28-2017, 03:30 PM
Actually, the only thing I've seen is an announcement in the Forums (New Experience) of a new report called "Your DNA Family". It's currently only available to "a small number of customers", and I'm not one of them. However, here's what the moderator says about it:

Using Your DNA Family, you can see:
- Where your relatives are located around the world.

- How many of your relatives have ancestry from a particular region. For customers who had results on the old website experience, this is similar information to what was shown in Countries of Ancestry.

- See what traits your relatives are likely to exhibit compared to other 23andMe customers.

Perhaps this isn't what you're talking about, but it's the only change I've seen reported so far.

EDIT: The new report does seem to include a feature entitled "Ancestry of Your DNA Relatives". It looks like this gives rank and number for various ancestries you share with DNA Relatives. Could this be what you're referring to?

Dibran
04-28-2017, 04:42 PM
Actually, the only thing I've seen is an announcement in the Forums (New Experience) of a new report called "Your DNA Family". It's currently only available to "a small number of customers", and I'm not one of them. However, here's what the moderator says about it:

Using Your DNA Family, you can see:
- Where your relatives are located around the world.

- How many of your relatives have ancestry from a particular region. For customers who had results on the old website experience, this is similar information to what was shown in Countries of Ancestry.

- See what traits your relatives are likely to exhibit compared to other 23andMe customers.

Perhaps this isn't what you're talking about, but it's the only change I've seen reported so far.

EDIT: The new report does seem to include a feature entitled "Ancestry of Your DNA Relatives". It looks like this gives rank and number for various ancestries you share with DNA Relatives. Could this be what you're referring to?

Kinda silly that it's only available for certain customers. Kinda tempted to call them and make a fus. Shouldn't all paying customers be entitled to these features?

geebee
04-28-2017, 04:58 PM
Kinda silly that it's only available for certain customers. Kinda tempted to call them and make a fus. Shouldn't all paying customers be entitled to these features?

I guess there doing the roll out in stages. Supposedly it will be available to everyone ... they just don't say exactly when. You figure that Ancestry first released its Genetic Communities feature to just a select few of its customers. I have their maximum-level subscription, but that didn't get me an early look.

Dibran
04-28-2017, 08:18 PM
I guess there doing the roll out in stages. Supposedly it will be available to everyone ... they just don't say exactly when. You figure that Ancestry first released its Genetic Communities feature to just a select few of its customers. I have their maximum-level subscription, but that didn't get me an early look.

That's makes sense I guess. Assuming there were issues on launch, you wouldn't want all subscribers to go ballistic at once. Lol. So that's probably why it's in stages.

AntG
04-28-2017, 10:08 PM
I'm surprised they are introducing more things on the New Experience when some of us are still left behind on the Old Experience.

A Norfolk L-M20
04-29-2017, 12:44 AM
Not for me it isn't. Same very old, outdated, discarded website.

firemonkey
04-29-2017, 01:48 AM
I think it shows the contempt they have for some of their users when instead of transferring people to the new experience asap they are busy introducing new things for those on the new experience.
The focus should be on getting the rest of us transferred. There is no excuse as to why it's taking so long.

wombatofthenorth
04-29-2017, 03:54 AM
I don't get why it should take any time at all to transfer people over. What is the difference other than the billing address? So how can it be any harder those people to be sent to the new site than anyone else. Nothing about it makes any apparent sense. Maybe it's something to do with health regulations or something? (or maybe sort of the opposite, no regs overseas so they rather let those people stay on the old system so they could sell the health results which the new system doesn't support as much yet?)

wombatofthenorth
04-29-2017, 03:57 AM
In some ways the old website is still a lot nicer and easier to use though. The new relatives in common tool is super useful (and open sharing), but otherwise, you are almost all still lucky to be stuck on the old site, but I guess those two new things are a big enough deal that it is a pain to be stuck on the old site now (for most of this time, believe me, you were better off and only missing out on disaster).

Zozoa
04-29-2017, 03:58 AM
Yes, this is it. I missed the post on the 23 forum when I posted. I recieved it, but no one else in my group did. I'm really disappointed in the update. To me at least, it appears to be a useless feature providing no new insight or value what so ever. The map feels generic and I could care less if someone who shares .15% of DNA with me is more likely to have been a lifeguard or own a dog. Who knows, maybe someone will find a value in it.

geebee
04-29-2017, 04:42 AM
In some ways the old website is still a lot nicer and easier to use though. The new relatives in common tool is super useful (and open sharing), but otherwise, you are almost all still lucky to be stuck on the old site, but I guess those two new things are a big enough deal that it is a pain to be stuck on the old site now (for most of this time, believe me, you were better off and only missing out on disaster).

I agree on both points. There are many things I still don't like about TNE, but open sharing and relatives in common on both very valuable to me.

There have been cases in which I share a significant amount of DNA with a relative who has almost no information, but because I can quickly find what relatives we both share -- and even where all of us have overlapping segments -- I can usually find someone whose ancestry is more fleshed out.

Solothurn
04-29-2017, 01:06 PM
Like a lot of folks, I am still awaiting the 2015 update :(

A Norfolk L-M20
04-29-2017, 02:10 PM
Apparently the UK will be transferred last. I'm not holding my breath to see if they even make the target. It's not a better place than the NE. It's broken down, deserted, and outdated.

bjp
04-30-2017, 05:06 PM
It's currently only available to "a small number of customers", and I'm not one of them.
It looks like I am. Image attached showing my "Your DNA Family" page for reference. The last section expands down into a few more random statistics.

jortita
04-30-2017, 05:35 PM
I am just waiting for them to make their kits available in Asia as of now, they only ship to Singapore, Hong Kong and South Korea

Rafe
05-02-2017, 01:31 AM
Yes, this is it. I missed the post on the 23 forum when I posted. I recieved it, but no one else in my group did. I'm really disappointed in the update. To me at least, it appears to be a useless feature providing no new insight or value what so ever. The map feels generic and I could care less if someone who shares .15% of DNA with me is more likely to have been a lifeguard or own a dog. Who knows, maybe someone will find a value in it.

Yeah, cheer up, Old Users: the new feature is pretty meh and doesn't add absolutely anything. It's a poor man's version of the old Countries of Ancestry.

Mike_G
05-03-2017, 02:27 AM
Awwww c'mon ladies and gents. I'm sure you can't wait to see really useful information like this :\

And FWIW, I can wiggle my ears much to the annoyance of my lovely bride.

rocky
05-03-2017, 07:59 AM
Can't wait to see the new 23andMe update, let's see what I get now.

OldAl
05-05-2017, 07:13 PM
Are they updating ancestry calculations? I believe the last time mine changed was about a year and a half ago, and it was very minor.

Rafe
05-21-2017, 05:43 PM
It is interesting how Yakut doesn't show up in the list of ancestries that relatives of mine possess, even though many do have Yakut. I think 23andme may be acknowledging that Yakut is in many cases just crypto-Native American?

sktibo
05-21-2017, 08:28 PM
some people get slight ancestry changes, some people's don't change is what I've seen