PDA

View Full Version : L-21 predictor from 23andMe raw data

Reith
05-04-2017, 02:15 PM
So I had my uncle test on 23andMe to help piece out my ancestral history and he came back as L-21 even though his grandfather came from eastern Prussia. I ran his Gedmatch and he comes up mostly Swedish, Danish and North German on Eurogenes.

Is there a resource to see what sub group he would be?

Thank you for any help.

RobertCasey
05-04-2017, 04:03 PM
Reith -

R-L21 is around 4,500 years old and it is one of the most common major haplogroups for western Europeans. To understand more about your YDNA, you need much more than the very limited YSNP testing at 23andMe or Ancestry.com. You really need to order 67 YSTR markers from FTDNA and see what kind of matches that you get and what YSNPs that they have already tested for.

MacUalraig
05-04-2017, 06:11 PM
So I had my uncle test on 23andMe to help piece out my ancestral history and he came back as L-21 even though his grandfather came from eastern Prussia. I ran his Gedmatch and he comes up mostly Swedish, Danish and North German on Eurogenes.

Is there a resource to see what sub group he would be?

Thank you for any help.

You will need to do another test to refine below L21. The cheapest and quickest way is the YSEQ L21 panel which is USD99 and has no prerequisites.

https://www.yseq.net/product_info.php?products_id=4321

A 67 STR test at FTDNA will cost USD268 and will not give you a detailed haplogroup. It *might* give you some clues to then spend *more* money on some SNP testing but single SNPs are more than twice as expensive at FTDNA as they are at YSEQ. FTDNA bulk SNP tests are also more expensive.

Reith
05-05-2017, 02:36 PM
Thank you both. Trying to avoid FTDNA for I spent a ton of money on myself and haven't really had any answers for my Y lone.