PDA

View Full Version : Is ancestry more accurate for South East Europeans?

Dibran
05-08-2017, 10:20 PM
The only reason i ask, is because a friend of mine did K36 for his 23 kit and ancestry.

On ancestry his k36 showed closer matches to Albanians and Greeks, while his 23 didn't really pick it up much at all. I know ancestry has a larger database. I was thinking of using it mainly for this purpose.

JerryS.
05-08-2017, 10:23 PM
its troubling to know after spending money on a DNA kit/analysis that the reference populations are skewed towards one way or another....

Dibran
05-09-2017, 12:54 AM
its troubling to know after spending money on a DNA kit/analysis that the reference populations are skewed towards one way or another....

Yea. I would imagine a lot of it is based on those reference populations. Genes slight variances.

Just curious if(being that I'm south east European) that my results would be more accurate in Gedmatch.

I'm doing living DNA but as I understand it they do not have raw data yet.

JerryS.
05-09-2017, 12:39 PM
Yea. I would imagine a lot of it is based on those reference populations. Genes slight variances.

Just curious if(being that I'm south east European) that my results would be more accurate in Gedmatch.

I'm doing living DNA but as I understand it they do not have raw data yet.

by all means load your raw data to GEDmatch. use the calculators to see what mixes they have based on their reference populations. you can make yourself anything from Greek, to Spanish, to Romanian based on the flags you have listed.... there are so many admixture models and most are reasonable but none so far that I have found are very close unless you simply have very little mixed DNA. if you have something like me (England, Germany, and Italy) you get various reading based all around those countries...

Dibran
05-12-2017, 05:58 AM
by all means load your raw data to GEDmatch. use the calculators to see what mixes they have based on their reference populations. you can make yourself anything from Greek, to Spanish, to Romanian based on the flags you have listed.... there are so many admixture models and most are reasonable but none so far that I have found are very close unless you simply have very little mixed DNA. if you have something like me (England, Germany, and Italy) you get various reading based all around those countries...

Oh I'm just Albanian. As far back as we know. I listed all the countries my family migrated to.