PDA

View Full Version : Question from an amateur regarding SNPs?

Dibran
05-12-2017, 05:25 AM
Does LivingDNA pick up SNPs? If you belong to an undiscovered clade or SNP, would they label it or just group you in an older subclade rather than a deeper one?

AntG
05-12-2017, 07:10 AM
Someone may correct me (as I'm fairly new to this too) but this isn't an SNP discovery test, only NGS tests do that (such as FTDNA BigY or FGC Y-Elite 2.1 or Whole Genome tests). It will only pick up the known SNPs that they put on the chip to look for, and that in itself isn't all known SNPs. They've given me R-Z2534 and I know I am several known branches further down from that (R-Z2534>R-FGC5618>R-L226>FGC5660>R-ZZ31_1>R-DC28>R-FGC12295>R-FGC12290).

Dibran
05-12-2017, 02:40 PM
Someone may correct me (as I'm fairly new to this too) but this isn't an SNP discovery test, only NGS tests do that (such as FTDNA BigY or FGC Y-Elite 2.1 or Whole Genome tests). It will only pick up the known SNPs that they put on the chip to look for, and that in itself isn't all known SNPs. They've given me R-Z2534 and I know I am several known branches further down from that (R-Z2534>R-FGC5618>R-L226>FGC5660>R-ZZ31_1>R-DC28>R-FGC12295>R-FGC12290).

I see. So do you recommend ftdna big y. Y elite. Full genome or Yseq?

Amerijoe
05-12-2017, 04:09 PM
I have recently completed both BigY & Y-Elite. BigY has advantages in several areas, (value, speed and integration into FTDNA projects for comparative matches. Waiting for another sale would provide added value. Savings could then be used for additional snp testing should the need arise. Y-Elite has more coverage, but in my case I saw no notable information advantage comparing the two. Tremendous time advantage for BigY. Both will do the job. :)

AntG
05-12-2017, 05:34 PM
I ordered Y-Elite 2.1 in November last year. I'm still waiting but I expect to see results at the start of June. I did read this Anthrogenica thread first... http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?6904-Big-Y-vs-Full-Genomes
Prior to going down the Y-Elite 2.1 route, I have previously done a Y111 STR test at FTDNA and an SNP Pack to get to my terminal SNP on the known tree. The FTDNA projects are great (particularly the one I'm in for Irish Type III - the admins are really engaged and give great advice) and of course, there is the matching database for the STRs.

Cofgene
05-12-2017, 08:44 PM
I have recently completed both BigY & Y-Elite. BigY has advantages in several areas, (value, speed and integration into FTDNA projects for comparative matches. Waiting for another sale would provide added value. Savings could then be used for additional snp testing should the need arise. Y-Elite has more coverage, but in my case I saw no notable information advantage comparing the two. Tremendous time advantage for BigY. Both will do the job. :)

BigY DOES NOT HAVE THE ADVANTAGE OF VALUE over FGC Elite or a 15+x whole genome result. Remember that BigY provides 30-40% FEWER variants, less y coverage, no mtDNA, and courtesy of the technical makeup has data coverage holes when converted to current human reference builds. You can get the result faster but you have less genealogically useful data. There is no value is that type of loss. BigY's lack of coverage also shows up as gaps in the y-haplotree. One may not be able to test something that BigY missed with either Sanger or FTDNA's SNP pack technologies.

Amerijoe
05-13-2017, 12:26 PM
BigY DOES NOT HAVE THE ADVANTAGE OF VALUE over FGC Elite or a 15+x whole genome result. Remember that BigY provides 30-40% FEWER variants, less y coverage, no mtDNA, and courtesy of the technical makeup has data coverage holes when converted to current human reference builds. You can get the result faster but you have less genealogically useful data. There is no value is that type of loss. BigY's lack of coverage also shows up as gaps in the y-haplotree. One may not be able to test something that BigY missed with either Sanger or FTDNA's SNP pack technologies.

I won't shout, but it's a matter of perspective concerning value. Yes, Y-Elite does provide a broader range of coverage which is great for individuals who are researching deep ancestry. Without the cooperation of a project administrator, how do you transfer the results to FTDNA? I presently receive match notices from FTDNA for YDNA, mtDNA, and BigY. This is of great value in itself. To date Yfull has not listed any matches for either kit, which means any possible matches are beyond a TMCRA of 2700 years. My Y-Elite test results took just shy of, 'ONE YEAR', sorry, couldn't resist. The BigY results took '16 days'. In my case, time is my enemy. Therefore, accelerated timeframe is of great value. Just recently had two perspective members of my clad obtain BigY tests with the recent sale for $325, again to me, a great value. In my humble opinion, the average individual would be better served pursuing FTDNA product line for genealogical research. Y-Elite is comparable to a high end auto, great for population genetics, but very limited on where you can take it. :car: