PDA

View Full Version : Living DNA 'Though history'/Ancestry ethnicity results

ollie444
05-15-2017, 04:09 PM
I was just flicking through my Living DNA 'through history' function and noticed a marked similarity with my Ancestry ethnicity results.160551605616057

The Ancestry ethnicity estimate is meant to be 'thousands of years ago' and the regions line up well with my Living DNA 'Europe, The Great Migration' c. 1700 years ago map. Not only that, but regions with the highest percentage in my ethnicity results, are the ones coloured darkest on the LivingDNA map.

I thought this was quite interesting, and wondered if this is reflected in anyone else's results?

JMcB
05-15-2017, 05:36 PM
I was just flicking through my Living DNA 'through history' function and noticed a marked similarity with my Ancestry ethnicity results.160551605616057

The Ancestry ethnicity estimate is meant to be 'thousands of years ago' and the regions line up well with my Living DNA 'Europe, The Great Migration' c. 1700 years ago map. Not only that, but regions with the highest percentage in my ethnicity results, are the ones coloured darkest on the LivingDNA map.

I thought this was quite interesting, and wondered if this is reflected in anyone else's results?

Hello Ollie444,

I've found that "through history" application to be very interesting and at times it has correlated quite nicely with some of my own information. I'm currently waiting for my Ancestry results to come in and when they do, I'm definitely going to make the same comparison.

FionnSneachta
05-26-2017, 12:05 PM
In my case my Ancestry results and Great Migration don't match up. My Ancestry results can be seen as my profile image. They both highlight Ireland, Great Britain and Scandinavia. However, the Great Migration also has Spain, Portugal, France, Germany, Northern Italy and other mainland Europe countries highlighted that weren't in my Ancestry results. The Great Migration also doesn't have Finland/Northwest Russia highlighted. They don't really match up in my case.

However, Ireland, Great Britain and Scandinavia are highlighted the darkest shade of blue. Our Great Migration map is very similar actually.

Mike_G
05-26-2017, 12:35 PM
Ancestry doesn't include Western European in my results. And by the 31% Irish call, I guess they're saying I have Celtic (?) vice Anglo Saxon (?) heritage.

Celt_??
05-26-2017, 01:06 PM
Sorry, Ollie, to be so OFF TOPIC. Because of your post, I was comparing my results and dumb struck by how different results can be even when the testing was performed in the same lab, FTDNA, and using the same Next Generation (NG) technology. I'm referring to my National Geographic GENO 2.0 NG results as reported by Nat Geo and then reinterpreted by FTDNA using their My Origins algorithm after I transferred my files:

16298 16299

........................................Nat Geo.....My Origins......Living DNA

Western and Central Europe: 53%..............0%..................9%
Great Britain and Ireland: ......38%.............25%................85%
Scandinavia: .........................2%.............38%
Asia Minor:............................4%.............. 0%......... ........4%
Jewish Diaspora:....................2%...............0%
Southeastern Europe:.............0%.............26%
Iberia:....................................0%..... ........11%

Same lab, same NG technology, same Autosomal DNA test results but different reported results due to the marked difference in algorithms. And here are my Living DNA results:

16301 16302

There is no way to rationalize these results.

ollie444
05-26-2017, 02:50 PM
Sorry, Ollie, to be so OFF TOPIC. Because of your post, I was comparing my results and dumb struck by how different results can be even when the testing was performed in the same lab, FTDNA, and using the same Next Generation (NG) technology. I'm referring to my National Geographic GENO 2.0 NG results as reported by Nat Geo and then reinterpreted by FTDNA using their My Origins algorithm after I transferred my files:

16298 16299

........................................Nat Geo.....My Origins......Living DNA

Western and Central Europe: 53%..............0%..................9%
Great Britain and Ireland: ......38%.............25%................85%
Scandinavia: .........................2%.............38%
Asia Minor:............................4%.............. 0%......... ........4%
Jewish Diaspora:....................2%...............0%
Southeastern Europe:.............0%.............26%
Iberia:....................................0%..... ........11%

Same lab, same NG technology, same Autosomal DNA test results but different reported results due to the marked difference in algorithms. And here are my Living DNA results:

16301 16302

There is no way to rationalize these results.

Your myorigins results seem to line up pretty well with the LivingDNA through history map, apart from Western Europe.

Thanks to everyone who's posted, I guess my results just happen to fit together fairly neatly by chance.

Amerijoe
05-26-2017, 04:23 PM
ollie444, our GM maps are so close, had to count the dots to see the difference. :) Joe

sktibo
05-26-2017, 09:19 PM

Ancestry DNA vs Great Migration. I don't see the connection

Judith
05-29-2017, 08:31 PM
I have just gone through my brother's and the one which is wierdest is the first British one, in that it shows a large cluster in Yorkshire, the area that they claimed in the PoBI was the iron age tribe. But Yorkshire is conspicuous in it absence in the regionla breakdow, virtually every where else in England but not Yorkshire.
16379 16380. London seems to have thrown everything. It has been a melting pot for centuries, but few people left London to become an rural agricultural worker 200 miles away. I have cousins and nth gret uncles/aunts who went to London, but no signs of anyone coming back to work the land.
Europe to follow

Judith
05-29-2017, 08:56 PM
I suspect my Europe wide ones look like those of many other people on this forum. They are 500 years ago (age of discovery), 1200 years ago (Middle Ages) 1700 years ago (great migrations), then I skipped the Iron age to the Bronze.16381, 16382, 16383,16384

It shows a large connection with Germany, which is consistent with their ancestry prediction. Strange that we have very little in common with any of the Hinxton samples, since the obvious reason is Saxon.
I like the Living DNA presentation though, it does show the time dependant nature of matching with other populations.

timberwolf
06-02-2017, 02:04 AM
Has anyone had a look at their Europe "the age of discovery" map, and has also tried to pinpoint the city/region where the blue dots are? Either in the UK/Ireland or on the continent.

Also does it match any paper trail, that you may have?

Personally I think the 'your ancestry through History" feature is an interesting tool.

JMcB
06-02-2017, 03:20 AM
I suspect my Europe wide ones look like those of many other people on this forum. They are 500 years ago (age of discovery), 1200 years ago (Middle Ages) 1700 years ago (great migrations), then I skipped the Iron age to the Bronze.16381, 16382, 16383,16384

It shows a large connection with Germany, which is consistent with their ancestry prediction. Strange that we have very little in common with any of the Hinxton samples, since the obvious reason is Saxon.
I like the Living DNA presentation though, it does show the time dependant nature of matching with other populations.

Hello Judith,

Just for the fun of it and as a comparison, here are mine.

And here is my slightly amended LDNA map as a reference.

FionnSneachta
06-02-2017, 05:41 PM
Has anyone had a look at their Europe "the age of discovery" map, and has also tried to pinpoint the city/region where the blue dots are? Either in the UK/Ireland or on the continent.

Also does it match any paper trail, that you may have?

Personally I think the 'your ancestry through History" feature is an interesting tool.

My map has a blue dot in Connacht which is right but it should be a bit higher in Connacht. However, Great Britain and France are also shaded which doesn't match with my paper trail. Although this could be easily possible since it's going back 500 years.

sktibo
06-02-2017, 06:38 PM
My map has a blue dot in Connacht which is right but it should be a bit higher in Connacht. However, Great Britain and France are also shaded which doesn't match with my paper trail. Although this could be easily possible since it's going back 500 years.

It gives those GB dots to just about everyone it seems

timberwolf
06-02-2017, 10:27 PM
With the maps I have seen, for us of British and Irish ancestry. France seems to be consistently the next darkest shaded nation, followed by Germany.

In my case it is France and then Spain/Portugal.

All my blue dots in the UK and Ireland are in the usual spots. For whatever reason I seem to have a series of dots in Wallonia ,Brittany and some also in Portugal.

I have no known continental ancestry.

Whether this is a hint of some unknown ancestry from those regions, or it is just a random coincidence of the algorithm that Living DNA uses to generate these maps. I don't know.