PDA

View Full Version : I1 and Olalde Bell Beaker

JonikW
05-19-2017, 09:36 PM
Does the lack of I1 (M253) in the 2017 Olalde et al paper suggest that the haplogroup was largely confined to Scandinavia in the Neolithic/Calcolithic, given that we are all likely to descend from one man who lived about 2,600BC?

angscoire
06-06-2017, 05:28 PM
Does the lack of I1 (M253) in the 2017 Olalde et al paper suggest that the haplogroup was largely confined to Scandinavia in the Neolithic/Calcolithic, given that we are all likely to descend from one man who lived about 2,600BC?

That's very likely . I'm disappointed with the lack of ancient I1 data ( partly for selfish reasons - a great grandfather from Surrey was downstream of I-L22 ). Unfortunately not much DNA from Scandinavia (or Northern Germany for that matter) has been sampled from the key period of I1's development and expansion . Battle Axe , Nordic Bronze Age , Iron Age ( such as Jastorf , although its widespresd use of cremation will hamper sampling efforts) , Viking Age ... all need to be extensively sampled . Unfortunately I am unaware of any projects on the go that will enlighten us , except a Viking project (Copenhagen University) which will be fascinating but obviously won't provide us with what we really want. It does puzzle me why the richest and most progressive region in Europe hasn't forged ahead with these studies into its genetic heritage....maybe we'll just have to be patient .

spruithean
06-07-2017, 02:18 AM
Seems to be the case indeed.

I too am disappointed with the lack of I-M253 in ancient DNA. However perhaps it's only a matter of time until something really good pops up!

Gravetto-Danubian
06-07-2017, 03:07 AM
There is a large scale Scandinavian study which is finished and waiting publication(s).
Also more work on palaeolithic and mesolithic of Europe
Some I1 is bound to turn up ;)

JMcB
06-07-2017, 04:18 AM
There's a little bit about it in Carlos Quiles recent essay but other than that, it's slim pickings.

http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?10839-I-M253-in-Carlos-Quiles-Recent-Essay

pyromatic
07-07-2017, 06:38 PM
I doubt I1 originated in Scandinavia. My money is on absorption in CWC and a west/northwest expansion from the south Baltic into Scandinavia and the North Sea area.