PDA

View Full Version : Y Full - Ever Prolonged Expected Date :(

Angoliga
05-22-2017, 04:28 AM
My expected date for Yfull results has steadily increased from an initial date of July 4th to intermittent days afterwards and then a recent big push to July 21st. I submitted my BAM file on May 16th and was batched the same day (ID: YF9620)

Has anyone experienced this?
Could this be attributed to an influx of submissions from the last BigY sale?
Are less common haplogroups more cumbersome to process?

I hope this is the last delay.

lgmayka
05-22-2017, 09:14 AM
My expected date for Yfull results has steadily increased from an initial date of July 4th to intermittent days afterwards and then a recent big push to July 21st.
YFull's initial projected completion dates are very cautious.

It is more useful to think in terms of YFull's tree update cycle:
1) YFull releases a new haplotree
2) YFull incrementally makes an initial haplogroup assignment and tree placement to BAM files submitted since the last cycle
3) YFull incrementally analyzes the BAM files assigned in (2)
4) YFull prepares a new haplotree
5) Return to step (1).

YFull just released a new haplotree about a week ago, and is now apparently at step (2). They have given an initial assignment to YF09547 (https://yfull.com/tree/R-ZP77/), so wait another week to see whether you have been given an initial haplogroup assignment and tree placement. If so (which is likely), you will be included in this iteration, and your results should then be ready in a month or so. I suspect that the Big Y sale in late April has not had much of an impact yet, because not many of those orders have yielded results and BAM files yet.

By the way, the worst-case YFull delay is a BAM file submission during step (3), because the customer has to wait for the completion of the current cycle before his own (next) cycle even begins.

Afshar
05-24-2017, 10:45 AM
They are currently down, maybe it has to do with the extra maintenance?

asquecco
05-24-2017, 12:19 PM

2) YFull incrementally makes an initial haplogroup assignment and tree placement to BAM files submitted since the last cycle
5) Return to step (1).

YFull just released a new haplotree about a week ago, and is now apparently at step (2). They have given an initial assignment to YF09547 (https://yfull.com/tree/R-ZP77/), so wait another week to see whether you have been given an initial haplogroup assignment and tree placement. If so (which is likely), you will be included in this iteration, and your results should then be ready in a month or so. I suspect that the Big Y sale in late April has not had much of an impact yet, because not many of those orders have yielded results and BAM files yet.

By the way, the worst-case YFull delay is a BAM file submission during step (3), because the customer has to wait for the completion of the current cycle before his own (next) cycle even begins.

Not sure where the STR data extraction batch process takes place with regard to the tree update cycle.
By the way, about STR, I noticed that for one of my Kits YFull released the STR results in the R-U152 group without releasing them in my account.

Amerijoe
05-24-2017, 12:36 PM

lgmayka
05-24-2017, 01:29 PM
They are currently down, maybe it has to do with the extra maintenance?
My own personal suspicion (really just a guess) is that YFull suffered a malware attack. The remedy may require upgrading the operating system, installing better protection, etc.

Angoliga
05-24-2017, 01:41 PM
My own personal suspicion (really just a guess) is that YFull suffered a malware attack. The remedy may require upgrading the operating system, installing better protection, etc.

That might be the case -- earlier on yesterday before the official "unscheduled maintenance" notice, all I saw was a server unavailable error when trying to access the site

JMcB
05-24-2017, 02:56 PM

They mentioned being the victim of an attack the other day where they were overwelhmed with thousands of simultaneous requests to see their tree. However, they have subsequently said the maintenance is unrelated.

Angoliga
05-26-2017, 04:19 AM
It's back up now, but then again someone on their facebook group noticed the same earlier on today and was told it was just temporarily available:

"This is a test... The site will be disabled again. Unfortunately this optimization of database tables is very long procedure." - Roman Sychev

...still awaiting my initial haplogroup assignment and tree placement:faint:

Angoliga
06-28-2017, 12:25 AM

5) Return to step (1).

I was just notified my raw data analysis has been completed -- could this in anyway be used to gauge how close (in days) the next haplotree will be released?
I'm aware there'll be delays for v5.05, due in part to the ~100 added kits from research papers, but was curios to know what you've experienced after receiving raw data analysis results

lgmayka
06-29-2017, 01:20 AM
I was just notified my raw data analysis has been completed -- could this in anyway be used to gauge how close (in days) the next haplotree will be released?
The highest-numbered posted entry (that I can find) is YF10009 (https://yfull.com/tree/R-Y16854*/). But the highest-numbered fully analyzed entry (that I can find) is YF09731 (https://yfull.com/tree/R-BY3290/).

JMcB
06-29-2017, 03:16 PM
The highest-numbered posted entry (that I can find) is YF10009 (https://yfull.com/tree/R-Y16854*/). But the highest-numbered fully analyzed entry (that I can find) is YF09731 (https://yfull.com/tree/R-BY3290/).

If I'm understanding those numbers correctly, then my exact match, who I'm hoping to add to our new branch (I-Y3647) is 244 Bam files away from being listed. Hopefully, he'll get in before the new tree is listed.

Maximus
07-07-2017, 10:28 PM
NiloSaharan,
the new version of YTree (for current batch) will be start calculating within one day and will be available during week (+/-). Your STRs I hope comes go ~11/July.

Angoliga
07-08-2017, 03:26 AM
NiloSaharan,
the new version of YTree (for current batch) will be start calculating within one day and will be available during week (+/-). Your STRs I hope comes go ~11/July.

I appreciate the direct response.

I think this thread has run it's course, we've already established the slightly longer delay is due to an enrichment of ~100 samples from research papers (*of which we're all extremely grateful)

I worry the thread's title might give somewhat of a negative publicity to the hard work of YFull and it's staff; I've requested an admin remove the thread.