PDA

View Full Version : I am not a typical native of any region. So what am I?

Signils
05-22-2017, 04:30 AM
What do the trace results signify if anything, how far back do these ancestors go based on ℅?

43% Central Asian (Afghanistan, Tajikistan etc.)
25% Caucasus (Iran, Turkey, Armenia etc.)
16℅ Asia South (India, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh)

8℅ European
* 3% Italy/greece
* 2℅ Finland/Russia
* 1% East Europe
* 1% West Europe
* <1℅ European Jewish

5℅ East Asia (China, Mongolia, Japan etc.)
2℅ Middle Eastern (Arab)
<1℅ Native America

fished
05-22-2017, 06:34 AM
What do the trace results signify if anything, how far back do these ancestors go based on ℅?

8℅ European
* 3% Italy/greece
* 2℅ Finland/Russia
* 1% East Europe
* 1% West Europe
* <1℅ European Jewish

2℅ Middle Eastern (Arab)
<1℅ Native America

Actually, these results would be pretty typical for some parts of Central Asia or South Central Asia. Virtually everyone who takes a commercial DNA test is going to show a mix of many components, even if all their recent ancestors are from one single region.

As for the trace results, they probably represent affinities to various groups rather than actual ancestry from them. For example that miniscule Native American probably just indicates ancestry from Siberian groups with high affinity to Amerindians, rather than actual ancestry from the Americas.

Where are you from?

Magnetic
05-22-2017, 06:42 AM
you are probably a Tajik or something

khanabadoshi
05-22-2017, 08:48 AM

8℅ European
* 3% Italy/greece
* 2℅ Finland/Russia
* 1% East Europe
* 1% West Europe
* <1℅ European Jewish

2℅ Middle Eastern (Arab)
<1℅ Native America

Agree with Magnetic; just on a cursory view of your numbers -- Tajikistani or Afghan (Tajik/Pashtun/Uzbek). Perhaps Uzbekistani? Though, I think too much S Asian for that. What company/test is the breakdown from?

Signils
05-22-2017, 10:21 AM
I am Afghan i.e. both my parents belong to Afghanistan. The results are from ancestrydna.

My father is Hazara (identify themselves as having descended from Mongols) and my mother is Tajik (identify themselves as having descended from Iranians). I can see cacausus (25%) mentioned and it made sense but didn't see anything specifically pointing to Mongol heritage? I was a little disappointed haha! There's a 5% trace for East Asia but I have been reading and it says anything less than <15% could even be dismissed in the future? So why is it showing up?

I was VERY surprised by the Asia South markers, what does 16% signify - that I had a recent great grandparent that was Indian? I was also excited by the European markers, but since they are very low, what does it mean?

Signils
05-22-2017, 10:23 AM
Actually, these results would be pretty typical for some parts of Central Asia or South Central Asia. Virtually everyone who takes a commercial DNA test is going to show a mix of many components, even if all their recent ancestors are from one single region.

As for the trace results, they probably represent affinities to various groups rather than actual ancestry from them. For example that miniscule Native American probably just indicates ancestry from Siberian groups with high affinity to Amerindians, rather than actual ancestry from the Americas.

Where are you from?

Thank you so much! This is the kind of information I need to understand these results!

Rukha
05-22-2017, 04:17 PM
Where in Afghanistan are your parents from? The Hazaras and part-Hazaras whose results I've seen on 23andme score higher East Asian. Not too familiar with the AncestryDNA components though.

Upload your raw data to Gedmatch and try some of the calculators there.

fished
05-22-2017, 10:03 PM
I was VERY surprised by the Asia South markers, what does 16% signify - that I had a recent great grandparent that was Indian? I was also excited by the European markers, but since they are very low, what does it mean?

Both your Indian and European scores probably signify ancient ancestry rather than recent ancestors from India or Europe, and they're pretty much expected for an Afghan. There is plenty of South Asian or South Asian-related ancestry in South Central Asia, as one would imagine based on geography. The Italy/Greece score may be demonstrating a connection via West Asia, and the Finland/Russia score hints at Bronze or Iron Age expansions from the steppe.

Ava
08-12-2019, 11:50 AM
What do you identify as if I may ask?

Dizos9
08-14-2019, 12:56 AM
It's of interest to see the Finland ancestry there. I'm afghan and European but didn't see any Finnish on my 23 and me test. Is there a possibility u have a European great great grandparent?