PDA

View Full Version : Irish tribal links

Jon
05-22-2017, 11:32 AM
Hi All,

Trying to do a bit of historical spadework in my own HG of L513. In Ireland L513 is heaviest in Munster and up in the north (Ulster/Monaghan). Also very frequent in Scotland. The Scotland/Ireland link might suggest Dalriada, but then the Kerry/Munster group wouldn't fit into that.

Can anyone help me with an ancient, related, population group who had presence in both the SW (Munster) and the north (Ulster etc.) of Ireland?

dowpa113
07-12-2017, 01:52 AM
anyone?

RobertCasey
07-12-2017, 04:43 AM
L513 is a very old haplogroup that has several large genetic clusters across Ireland and Scotland. L513/DF1 is around 4,000 years old according to YFULL and you are better off researching a more recent haplogroup under L513 in the 1,500 to 2,000 year range which would be more in line with more reliable concentrations of groups in the same area. L193 and L705 are two of the larger haplogroups under L513 and are predictable by YSTR signatures.

I belong to Z253 which around 4,300 years old according to YFULL. But L226 which is the largest predictable YSNP branch under Z253 became prolific around 1,500 years ago and is predictable via YSTR signature. L226 is 90 % Munster, Ireland, 10 % other Ireland and 10 % elsewhere (mainly England - but some are even in Lithuania - Irish mercenaries that were granted land there).

spruithean
07-20-2017, 09:32 PM
Hi All,

Trying to do a bit of historical spadework in my own HG of L513. In Ireland L513 is heaviest in Munster and up in the north (Ulster/Monaghan). Also very frequent in Scotland. The Scotland/Ireland link might suggest Dalriada, but then the Kerry/Munster group wouldn't fit into that.

Can anyone help me with an ancient, related, population group who had presence in both the SW (Munster) and the north (Ulster etc.) of Ireland?

As RobertCasey pointed out the haplogroup is quite old, and given that people migrate and move around it doesn't seem at all odd to see R-L513 in Scotland/Ulster and Munster. I would imagine it dispersed through Ireland as R-L513's descendants expanded in number and ventured further into Ireland.

Pascal C
09-27-2017, 05:32 AM
Hi All,

IIRC Dal Riata was supposed to be a branch of the Iverni/Erainn who were largely in Munster