PDA

View Full Version : Lincolnshire - anyone get a high percent with any paper trail ?

simdadams
05-22-2017, 01:25 PM
Anyone else getting a bog Lincs region pick up with a paper trail. I have one unknown GGF but otherwise nothing to show for Lincolnshire , even that unknown is a nasty rumour the grandfather was the father. So its of course entirely possible an illegitimate or unknown has cropped up

Is Lincs associated with any particular genetic 'race' , my only other thought is I did have East Anglian which disappeared after a correction run and I have about 13 generations from Cambs just south of Cambridge

Cheers and all the best
Simon

MacUalraig
05-22-2017, 01:41 PM
There was some initial talk/leak that they had struggled to split Lincolnshire off from London so Lincs (sadly) may not be one of their more reliable calls.

rod
05-24-2017, 02:34 AM
I expected 12.5% (great-grandmother, her parents and grandparents). My LivingDNA results are 0.

A Norfolk L-M20
05-24-2017, 09:57 AM
I was pleased by my Lincolnshire result. I got 5%.

I had a 3xgreat grandfather from Maxey, Northants called David Peach. in his time, that parish was within Lincolnshire rather than Northamptonshire, and I see that Living DNA include that area as a part of their "Lincolnshire" zone. Somehow, he met my 3xgreat grandmother who was from Norfolk. The men in his family had been in the Maxey area some years at least, and were all drovers or shepherds, so I fancy that he drove livestock to the marshes of Norfolk, and met his wife there. They returned to the village of Etton, close to Maxey and married. They had a daughter, my 2xgreat grandmother, but then David was arrested and convicted for stealing two steers. He was sentenced at Lincoln Assizes to transportation for Life. He was held for a short time in the Thames prison hulk Justitia, then in 1837, he was boarded onto the transportation ship Neptune. It took him to Holbart, Van Diemen's Land (Tasmania), and there he was soon moved to the notorious Port Arthur convict settlement. He was discharged in 1851, but after that the trail runs dry. He did't appear to get a ticket of leave, and he did have a life sentence, so I do not believe that he ever returned to England.

Meanwhile his wife and daughter returned to Norfolk.

It could be a coincidence, but the top four of my Living DNA sub-regional results all line up well with recorded genealogy, albeit, the East Anglian percentage is only 50% of what I believe.

simdadams
05-24-2017, 01:28 PM
My Lincolnshire is probably down to paper trail gaps or possibly errors .

GGP Essex, London, Berkshire, Suflok, Bengal (English ex-pat)
2GGP Armagh (English ex-pat), Surrey, Middlesex, Kent, Berkshire, Cambridgeshire, Suffolk, Staffordshire, Lomdon
3GGP Devon, Dorset, Cornwall, Kent, Berkshire, Surrey, Cambridgeshire, Sufflolk, Staffordshire, London,IoW, Wiltshire, Norfolk, Essex
4GGP Devon, Somerset, Dorset, Cornwall, Kent, Berkshire, Surrey, Cambridghire, Suffolk , Staffordhire, Oxfordshire, Herffordshire, IoW, Essex, Wiltshire,
5GGP Devon, Somerset, Dorset, Cornwall, Kent, Berkshire, Surrey, Cambridghire, Suffolk , Staffordhire, Oxfordshire, Herffordshire, IoW, Essex, Wiltshire,
6GGP Devon, Somerset, Cornwall, Kent, IoW, Buckinghamsjire, Berkshire, Gloucestershire, Surrey, Cambridgeshire, Staffordshire, Essex
7GGP Devon, Dorset, Cornwall, Kent, Berkshire, Surrey, Cambridgeshire, Staffordshire, IoW, Essex
8GGP Devon, Dorset, Cornwall, Kent, Berkshire, Cambridgeshire, Staffordshire,
9GGP Dorset, Cornwal, Kent, Cambridgeshire, Staffordshire, Somerset,
10GGP Somerset, Kent, Cambrdigeshire, Staffordshire
11GGP Somerset, Kent, Cambrdigeshire, Essex, Staffordshire
12GGP Somerset

But the additional complete and cautious modes may shed more light when they are released , but 15.5% is a large gap , i'm flummoxed

Great Britain and Ireland 100%
Southeast England 27.9%
South England 18%
Lincolnshire 15.4%
Devon 8.2%
South Central England 6.3%
Cornwall 5.5%
South Yorkshire 4.6%
Aberdeenshire 3.9%
South Wales 2.3%
South Wales Border 1.5%
Great Britain and Ireland (unassigned) 6.4%

A Norfolk L-M20
05-24-2017, 02:24 PM
My Lincolnshire is probably down to paper trail gaps or possibly errors .

GGP Essex, London, Berkshire, Suflok, Bengal (English ex-pat)
2GGP Armagh (English ex-pat), Surrey, Middlesex, Kent, Berkshire, Cambridgeshire, Suffolk, Staffordshire, Lomdon
3GGP Devon, Dorset, Cornwall, Kent, Berkshire, Surrey, Cambridgeshire, Sufflolk, Staffordshire, London,IoW, Wiltshire, Norfolk, Essex
4GGP Devon, Somerset, Dorset, Cornwall, Kent, Berkshire, Surrey, Cambridghire, Suffolk , Staffordhire, Oxfordshire, Herffordshire, IoW, Essex, Wiltshire,
5GGP Devon, Somerset, Dorset, Cornwall, Kent, Berkshire, Surrey, Cambridghire, Suffolk , Staffordhire, Oxfordshire, Herffordshire, IoW, Essex, Wiltshire,
6GGP Devon, Somerset, Cornwall, Kent, IoW, Buckinghamsjire, Berkshire, Gloucestershire, Surrey, Cambridgeshire, Staffordshire, Essex
7GGP Devon, Dorset, Cornwall, Kent, Berkshire, Surrey, Cambridgeshire, Staffordshire, IoW, Essex
8GGP Devon, Dorset, Cornwall, Kent, Berkshire, Cambridgeshire, Staffordshire,
9GGP Dorset, Cornwal, Kent, Cambridgeshire, Staffordshire, Somerset,
10GGP Somerset, Kent, Cambrdigeshire, Staffordshire
11GGP Somerset, Kent, Cambrdigeshire, Essex, Staffordshire
12GGP Somerset

But the additional complete and cautious modes may shed more light when they are released , but 15.5% is a large gap , i'm flummoxed

Great Britain and Ireland 100%
Southeast England 27.9%
South England 18%
Lincolnshire 15.4%
Devon 8.2%
South Central England 6.3%
Cornwall 5.5%
South Yorkshire 4.6%
Aberdeenshire 3.9%
South Wales 2.3%
South Wales Border 1.5%
Great Britain and Ireland (unassigned) 6.4%

Recently for several years, I lived in Cambridgeshire, but close to the modern Lincolnshire border. When the Fens were drained, particularly from the 17th Century onward, a lot of people from around the outskirts of the Fens filled in the vacuum. You can hear it in the local accent in the Wisbech area of North Cambs. Mainly Norfolk sounding, but with lots of Lincolnshire twangs added. So think about your Cambridgeshire ancestors. Any from the Fens?

simdadams
05-24-2017, 03:29 PM
Recently for several years, I lived in Cambridgeshire, but close to the modern Lincolnshire border. When the Fens were drained, particularly from the 17th Century onward, a lot of people from around the outskirts of the Fens filled in the vacuum. You can hear it in the local accent in the Wisbech area of North Cambs. Mainly Norfolk sounding, but with lots of Lincolnshire twangs added. So think about your Cambridgeshire ancestors. Any from the Fens?

Your thoughts were mine, but most of mine were from the Babraham and Linton area just south of Cambridge , thats not to say some didn't head further south or were relations of Wisbech area fen settlers

Loderingo
05-25-2017, 07:49 PM
I have the opposite issue. My mother has a g-grandmother from Frodingham (now a suburb of Scunthorpe but then a rural village) but I get 0% Lincolnshire. Looking at the POBI map this may be because N Lincolnshire is not well represented with one purple cross (N Wales border) and one red square on the border with the rest of Lincs.

sktibo
05-25-2017, 08:09 PM
I have the opposite issue. My mother has a g-grandmother from Frodingham (now a suburb of Scunthorpe but then a rural village) but I get 0% Lincolnshire. Looking at the POBI map this may be because N Lincolnshire is not well represented with one purple cross (N Wales border) and one red square on the border with the rest of Lincs.

i think it's more likely that the test failed to pick up the lincS. ancestry, for reasons currently unknown. it's unfortunately far from perfect. I have zero percent Central English or south Yorkshire, and 12.5 of my ancestry comes from Nottingham and Derbyshire... it's one of the lines my family has traced further back than any others, in some cases to the 1500's.
so, I'm not surprised that you got 0 Lincolnshire, that can happen with this test which we unfortunately know very little of the methodology of at this time

simdadams
05-27-2017, 11:42 AM
One thingg I am doing this weekend is to pin map my paper over the LDNA Map I got. In regard to Lincolnshire I did a random sample of my direct known tree and although I have no known paper record for Lincs , some surnames showed up on 1881 census as being predominantly Lincs, with is interesting if not possible evidence

Judith
05-29-2017, 01:59 PM
Just to add to the puzzle I have 6.3% of Lincolnshire and no paper trail at all. But it could be moving "next door" to Central England to make beer, but before I know of it!

ollie444
06-16-2017, 07:40 PM
Both my kits have lost all their Lincolnshire. Other regions to disappear include Cornwall, but Orkney remains on one of the kits...

simdadams
06-17-2017, 05:35 PM
My Lincs has gone down from around 15% to 3% ish now

Adrian Stevenson
06-17-2017, 05:52 PM
In the new revised figures I have 12% Lincs, but only a few known Ancestors from there that I am aware of.

Cheers, Ade.

tomz
06-18-2017, 11:36 PM
hmm...no change at all in my estimates yet. Received the initial results a few weeks ago.