PDA

View Full Version : How we use to do Sharing

A Norfolk L-M20
05-24-2017, 02:54 PM
Before DNA...

Anyone else remember genealogical interest directories like these? recently discovered while digging through my old junk at the ex's.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4197/34479229070_f29b37a9a2_c.jpg

Saetro
05-24-2017, 11:51 PM
I remember them quite well.
I never posted, myself, but I certainly looked through quite a few.
My interests went into FHSociety journals.
Some family history magazines still have surname lists.

Early in my days in Sydney I came across the authors running a genealogical/history bookshop.
Later on I realised how unusual it was them running the GRD from a little outpost in the colonies.

A Norfolk L-M20
05-25-2017, 08:37 AM
The other source that we had were the surname interests listed in family history magazines. I have to confess, using surname interest directories like these book and the magazines, I had greater success at correcting and understanding my genealogy, than I've had with the genetic matching of DNA tests. Possibly because DNA testing is still not as popular in the UK as it is in the USA, while documentation genealogy is very established here, with many family history societies organised.

Earl Davis
05-25-2017, 05:18 PM
Yes. That GRD is a bit early for my own entries but you should find me in later ones during the late 1990's or very early 2000's. I may even have owned that 1993 one at some point as I picked up some older copies at the Hay-on-Wye book fair at one point. Sadly I don't have them anymore.

Earl.

Saetro
05-25-2017, 10:06 PM
The best bits of sharing to benefit me were to do with local history collections in public libraries.

1) Was some handwritten notes left at the city municipal branch library near where a great-great-grandfather lived.
A 1C2R cousin I had spent 30 years tracking down had a copy even though they were not his blood relatives, and was kind enough to send it to me.
It unlocked about 4 generations of descendants.
I have since greatly benefited from family histories at FHSs although there are still some good, privately published ones in local history collections in branch libraries.
I just wish all such writers would not entitle their books Flowery phrase: the descendants of Joe and Ann Bloggs, but rather the reverse.
Many catalogue systems are still not good, surprisingly, at searching anything after the colon, so the surname should come in the first bit.

2) A local history librarian for a council library in Britain.
He and an excellent amateur local historian put together an annotated collection of newspaper articles about the area.
The prose descriptions together with a hand-drawn map of the area as it was then and some poems by a poet contemporaneous with the author of the original articles, provided a wonderful picture of the area at a time just before everything changed. It did not hurt that the poet was my ancestor.

I mention this because I find that local history collections in libraries are very frequently overlooked, especially by people who do not live in the area.
And by councillors who do not understand that some travel to the area is for these records, and more would be if people knew they existed and had reasonable access. And travel means local business.