PDA

View Full Version : Ashkenazi Results at Living DNA?

can't_lurk_no_mo'
05-27-2017, 10:11 PM
Of the 80 regions listed in Living DNA's reference populations, none of them are Ashkenazi or any other Jewish group for that matter. Those of you who have Jewish ancestry, what regions are you getting at Living DNA? I'm guessing top populations include Aegean, South Italy, Kurdish, Levant, and Southeastern Europe, not necessarily in that order.

kingjohn
06-11-2017, 12:34 PM
thats why i didn't
do this test
only when they will have jewish refrences i will consider
at least in my heritage they have 4 diffrent jewish diaspora refrences
and as you say in living dna nada
regards
adam

p.s
i believe that if a full aschenazi will took this test the results will be more or less as you described

Claudio
06-11-2017, 09:58 PM
thats why i didn't
do this test
only when they will have jewish refrences i will consider
at least in my heritage they have 4 diffrent jewish diaspora refrences
and as you say in living dna nada
regards
adam

p.s
i believe that if a full aschenazi will took this test the results will be more or less as you described

Hi there KingJohn.. I have a question concerning Jewish ancestry and was sent your way.. could not seem to find a way to PM you so I thought I would ask here..on AncestryDNA I am 50%west European 36%Italian/Greek and 6%European Jewish..
A fellow poster noted that My Iberian on Eurogens was quite high for a half Italian especially one with some European Jewish Ashkenazi ancestry on my mothers side.. my mother is English and has 10% European ashkenazi Jewish ancestry but also a mystery 8% Iberian.. she knows she had a Jewish great great grandfather and can trace one back to East London born in 1780.. there are no records of a Spaniard in the family,so my Question is could my mothers Jewish Ashkenazi ancestors have actually been Sephardi Spanish Jews? as this would account for the mystery Iberian?
Hypothetically in this scenario if someone had a genuine Sephardic ancestor from that time period and they took an AncestryDNA test as there is no option for Sephardic Jewish ancestry could/would there Sephardic ancestry show up as a combination of Ashkenazi and Iberian instead?
Here is my Gedmatch kit number if helps..
A359314

Targum
06-11-2017, 10:01 PM
Hi there.. KingJohn I have question concerning Jewish ancestry and was sent your way.. could not seem to find a way to PM you so I thought I would ask here..on AncestryDNA I am 50% west European 36% Italy/Greek 6%European Jewish..
A fellow poster noted that My Iberian on Eurogens was quite high for a half Italian especially one with some European Jewish Ashkenazi ancestry.. my mother has 10% European ashkenazi Jewish ancestry and also a mystery 8% Iberian.. she knows she had a Jewish great great grandfather and can trace one back to East London born in 1780.. there is no records of a Spaniard in the family,so my Question is could my mothers Jewish ancestors been Sephardic Spanish Jews who came to London as this would account for the Iberian?
Also hypothetically if someone had a genuine Sephardic ancestor and they took an AncestryDNA test as there is no option for Sephardic Jewish ancestry would/could there Sephardic ancestry show up as a combination of Ashkenazi and Iberian instead?

All Sefaradim test high on Ashkenazi measurements, all Western Jews are similar and descend from same "seed" populations of Italqim and Romaniote.

Claudio
06-12-2017, 09:18 AM
All Sefaradim test high on Ashkenazi measurements, all Western Jews are similar and descend from same "seed" populations of Italqim and Romaniote.

But how high would a full Sephardic Jew from back in the 18th century come up results wise on modern tests that are made to only detect Ashkenazi Jewry?

Targum
06-12-2017, 12:29 PM
They are almost identical genetically with much overlap. Also the two populations were in contact/exchange.( look up Dr Kevin. Brook's articles on Khazaria for many documented cases of this.

Targum
06-12-2017, 12:39 PM
As I have posted before, Dr Brook has triangulated several shared segments shared by him, other Jews who have been Ashkenazi in recent generations, me, and about 6 non-Jewish (anymore) Northern Mexicans. This can only be explained by all of us having a common Sefaradi ancestor, of whose descendants some became Ashkenazim and some became Mexicans.

Claudio
06-12-2017, 01:31 PM
As I have posted before, Dr Brook has triangulated several shared segments shared by him, other Jews who have been Ashkenazi in recent generations, me, and about 6 non-Jewish (anymore) Northern Mexicans. This can only be explained by all of us having a common Sefaradi ancestor, of whose descendants some became Ashkenazim and some became Mexicans.

Interesting.. and thanks for the information.
Following the paper trail we have it going back to a Jewish couple in London:
Nathaniel Nathan & Eva Barnett (both Jewish)
And Before that going back to 1780 to
Nathaniel's father "Israel Nathan"
I suspect "Israel Nathan" was a Sephardic Jew and part Iberian as we can not find anyone of Iberian decent anywhere else in the timeline.
Also the Jewish Surname "Nathan" is quite common amongst both Ashkenazi & Sephardi Jews.

Targum
06-12-2017, 01:37 PM
Yes you are correct. By the way Dr. Brook says all Ashkenazim have deeply imbedded N African ancestry as well. This is why 23andme gives me N African, and Dnaland and Wegenes give me SW Europe and Iberian, respectively.When you say "part Iberian', if you mean converts in Spain or N. Africa (Amazigh etc) in Roman times, yes, but certainly not in Christian or Muslim Spain.

Pylsteen
06-12-2017, 01:44 PM
Living DNA did not really assign my 6,25% Jewish (mixed Ash/Sef); it probably went under "Europe (unassigned)" and "World (unassigned)".

kingjohn
06-12-2017, 04:18 PM
Living DNA did not really assign my 6,25% Jewish (mixed Ash/Sef); it probably went under "Europe (unassigned)" and "World (unassigned)".

can you upload your raw data fo my hertige
intresting if the 6% jewish will show up
who knows :)
regards
adam

Dewsloth
06-12-2017, 06:17 PM
Of the 80 regions listed in Living DNA's reference populations, none of them are Ashkenazi or any other Jewish group for that matter. Those of you who have Jewish ancestry, what regions are you getting at Living DNA? I'm guessing top populations include Aegean, South Italy, Kurdish, Levant, and Southeastern Europe, not necessarily in that order.

Dad got 13.6% South Europe, of which 8.4% is North Italy (I think some of this is actually Swiss and Bavarian) and 5.2% Aegean.
His grandmother's grandparents were the last "full/official" Ashkenazi couple on our tree, iirc.
A lot of other calculators/oracles combine the two regions and think its a Balkan component, so Dad gets stuff like 80% NW Euro/20% Kosovar.

Edit: He also still has these:
Europe (unassigned) 9.5%
World (unassigned) 1.2%

Claudio
06-12-2017, 06:41 PM
Yes you are correct. By the way Dr. Brook says all Ashkenazim have deeply imbedded N African ancestry as well. This is why 23andme gives me N African, and Dnaland and Wegenes give me SW Europe and Iberian, respectively.When you say "part Iberian', if you mean converts in Spain or N. Africa (Amazigh etc) in Roman times, yes, but certainly not in Christian or Muslim Spain.

I was looking more into the history of the Jews in London today further looking up my family's small part of Jewish ancestry.. I see that the Spanish/Portuguese Jew merchants put down roots in "West London" first in the 16th,17th centuries after the expulsions in Spain and then during that same 17th and then 18th century were joined by a large influx of poorer Ashkenazi Jews who setup shop more in "East London" but I imagine as time went by and they both expanded,intermarriage started to occur,especially in the Ghetto's of Jewish East London amongst the poorer families of both Sephardi and Ashkenazi Jews.I imagine from the paper trail and DNA evidence my Jewish Ancestors living in the East end of London would of been practicing Ashkenazi Jews but with both Sephardic and Askenazi ancestries.

kingjohn
06-12-2017, 06:47 PM
this guy was probably half sefhardic by ancestery
not by faith as he converted to christian faith
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Brampton
but they are not sure he was part sefhardi portuguase jew ..
regards
Adam

Claudio
06-12-2017, 09:42 PM
this guy was probably half sefhardic by ancestery
not by faith as he converted to christian faith
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Brampton
but they are not sure he was part sefhardi portuguase jew ..
regards
Adam

What a coincidence..
And a little Ironic..
He was the Governor of the island of "Guernsey"..
I myself live in it's twin Island of "Jersey"..
It's a small world.. lol

kingjohn
06-13-2017, 10:35 AM
here is a person who was of sefhardic hertige
he was governor of india in the days of the british empire
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rufus_Isaacs,_1st_Marquess_of_Reading

Xtian
06-15-2017, 01:18 PM
Is Tuscan linked to Jewish?

I am Russian I have random Tuscan results of 7.5%. Its literally impossible for an Italian to have been in the Soviet Union/Russian Empire where I am from in Krasnodar/Rostov region (Cossack country).

I also have 10% Germanic which again I do not understand.

I had 65% Eastern European, 10% Finnish/Russian, 2% Indian (Assumed Gypsy), and 5.5% unassigned.

AJL
06-15-2017, 01:49 PM
Is Tuscan linked to Jewish?

I think that's possible, though maybe it could have something to do with population movement from the Balkans after the Treaty of 1774, or something ancient (like early farmers), or maybe the test is just wrong.

Xtian
06-16-2017, 10:08 AM
my livingdna results just got updated.

They have split my 'italian' into Tuscan and South Italy now totaling 8% together. This makes me think its more likely Jewish.

They also split my German into German and Scandinavian.

Xtian
06-16-2017, 02:32 PM
Well it gets weirder, Gedmatch Genesis Admixture is now working so I ran the Jtest.

I get 0 Askenazi but 9.35 % West Med and 8% West Asian,

I guess I'll never know how I have Mediterranean dna.

Pylsteen
06-16-2017, 02:41 PM
Also run the Eurogenes JTest; it gives me 4,44% Ashkenazi; when doing per chromosome, the most Ashkenazi chrom is chrom 10, which has 21,5% Ashkenazi.

I don't know if it is normal for NW Europeans to also receive 6,3% East Med?

AJL
06-16-2017, 03:38 PM
Here's another possibility I did not think of before. There was the 1828 Treaty of Turkmenchay with Iran, which redrew the map between the Russian Empire and Iran, resulting in a number of Assyrians finding themselves in Russia. One of the main areas of Russia where Assyrians are found now is Rostov Oblast.

But I don't know how much confidence I would have in the numbers when they keep shifting so much. I believe LivingDNA is eventually to introduce matching segments among actual people? In this case either Ashkenazim or Assyrians, being fairly closed populations, would show up in your matches, if you have such ancestry.

FionnSneachta
06-16-2017, 03:50 PM
Also run the Eurogenes JTest; it gives me 4,44% Ashkenazi; when doing per chromosome, the most Ashkenazi chrom is chrom 10, which has 21,5% Ashkenazi.

I'm from Ireland and my LivingDNA on Genesis has 0.36% while my Ancestry sample on Gedmatch has 1.28% East Med. It's not as high as 6.3% but there's some there.

Pylsteen
06-20-2017, 11:00 AM
I see that they have likely covered my 1/16 Jewish as follows: 2,5% Kurdish, 2,5% West-Balkan, 1,5% Iberian. Kurds are quite West-Asian, Iberian and Balkan do harbour Mediterrenean, and the Balkan also containts Eastern European, I tend to believe. So it seems ok by lack of a Jewish cluster.

sktibo
06-20-2017, 02:18 PM
I see that they have likely covered my 1/16 Jewish as follows: 2,5% Kurdish, 2,5% West-Balkan, 1,5% Iberian. Kurds are quite West-Asian, Iberian and Balkan do harbour Mediterrenean, and the Balkan also containts Eastern European, I tend to believe. So it seems ok by lack of a Jewish cluster.

i got a little Kurdish, it mentioned genetic similarly to Ashkenazi in the write up. I do suspect some Ashkenazi in my most distant maternal ancestor. Will have to get my mother a DNA test to be sure.

chelle
06-22-2017, 07:38 PM

I am a quarter Jewish by way of Russian-Jewish maternal great-grandparents. 23andme gives me close to that percentage, Ancestry splits it half Jewish and about half of it to Italian with a pinch of Iberian and North African, Living DNA's new update puts it mostly at about 13% Iberian, about 4% Tuscany, about 1% Mordovia and possibly about 1% Pashtun

Dewsloth
06-22-2017, 07:45 PM
Dad got 13.6% South Europe, of which 8.4% is North Italy (I think some of this is actually Swiss and Bavarian) and 5.2% Aegean.
His grandmother's grandparents were the last "full/official" Ashkenazi couple on our tree, iirc.
A lot of other calculators/oracles combine the two regions and think its a Balkan component, so Dad gets stuff like 80% NW Euro/20% Kosovar.

Edit: He also still has these:
Europe (unassigned) 9.5%
World (unassigned) 1.2%

Well, now with the recent update (in red), Living DNA now agrees with the other oracles and sees Balkan (which LukaszM said shows for part-Ashkenazi):

Complete:
Europe 100%

Great Britain and Ireland 71.1%
Southeast England 20.6%
East Anglia 13.6%
Lincolnshire 12.2%
South Central England 9.5%
South Yorkshire 4.7%
Northwest Scotland 2.4%
Cumbria 2.4%
Devon 2.3%
Cornwall 2.2%
North Yorkshire 1.2%

Europe (South) 14.3%
North Italy 11.1%
Aegean 3.2%

Europe (North and West) 8.2%
Scandinavia 8.2%

Europe (East) 6.4%
West Balkans 2.6%
East Balkans 2%
Finland and Western Russia 1.8%

sktibo
06-22-2017, 08:03 PM
Very interesting. I got a small Balkan percentage on complete mode

Claudio
07-12-2017, 04:00 PM

The North African 23andme assigned you could be palestinian or Arabian as if you look at the referance populations unlike other companies 23andme have stupidly lumped them together with north Africa?
Which must prevent Arabians and North Africans from getting an accurate and correct percentage for there ethnicity estimate.. seems a bit wrong to me.🙅

lilac9
07-12-2017, 04:49 PM
I am a quarter Jewish by way of Russian-Jewish maternal great-grandparents. 23andme gives me close to that percentage, Ancestry splits it half Jewish and about half of it to Italian with a pinch of Iberian and North African, Living DNA's new update puts it mostly at about 13% Iberian, about 4% Tuscany, about 1% Mordovia and possibly about 1% Pashtun

Are you saying the Jewish percentage is included in the Iberian percentage? I usually get North African everywhere at quite a high percentage. Sometimes up to 8% in some calculators. Only 23andme gives me 1.4% and LivingDNA gives me none. I am 66% Iberian on LivingDNA and 60% on 23andme.

chelle
07-13-2017, 10:30 AM
Are you saying the Jewish percentage is included in the Iberian percentage? I usually get North African everywhere at quite a high percentage. Sometimes up to 8% in some calculators. Only 23andme gives me 1.4% and LivingDNA gives me none. I am 66% Iberian on LivingDNA and 60% on 23andme.

In my case that is how I would interpret it. I am no expert in how these things work, but Iberian, Italian and Jewish seem to be the most interchangeable categories of my tests so far. Here are all the non-British segments of my complete mode. The South Asian could be in part from my dad, as he tends to show a small amount on different tests/gedmatch calculators. 17518

maddymappo
04-21-2018, 08:51 PM
At Living DNA - Mta is ashkenazi K group. Grandparents came from north eastern europe or eastern europe. My dna is showing 69.7 % European and 30.3% Near Eastern. The European is broken down to almost 50% Tuscany related, 8% North Italy related, 5% NE European related, 5% Orkney Islands, 2% Eastern Europe, 29% Armenia and Cyprus related, and 1% Kurdish. The breakdowns also show probable 25% from the Levant. The Levant and the Ne and eastern european seemed to make sense. Don't understand high percentage of Tuscany and North Italy areas, could understand smaller amount. But I guess it is possible from what I am reading Jewish men from the Levant mixed with local women who converted. Only mention of "ashkenazi" is the MTA.

jonahst
04-23-2018, 05:24 PM
At Living DNA - Mta is ashkenazi K group. Grandparents came from north eastern europe or eastern europe. My dna is showing 69.7 % European and 30.3% Near Eastern. The European is broken down to almost 50% Tuscany related, 8% North Italy related, 5% NE European related, 5% Orkney Islands, 2% Eastern Europe, 29% Armenia and Cyprus related, and 1% Kurdish. The breakdowns also show probable 25% from the Levant. The Levant and the Ne and eastern european seemed to make sense. Don't understand high percentage of Tuscany and North Italy areas, could understand smaller amount. But I guess it is possible from what I am reading Jewish men from the Levant mixed with local women who converted. Only mention of "ashkenazi" is the MTA.

Hi Maddy! Are you full Ashkenazi? Your results sound really interesting, can you share screenshots? Living DNA doesn't have an Ashkenazi or Jewish group, which is actually great because it breaks us down into our regional makeup.

Living DNA tends to overestimate European ancestry, especially Italian and British. It's also true that in the Roman period, Levantine Jewish men mixed with Southern European women before later moving into Northern and Eastern Europe. Generally speaking, a Lebanese or Palestinian Christian will get about 50% Italian (mix of South Italy and Tuscany) in Living DNA while Ashkenazi Jews (like me) will get about 50-60% South Europe, 30% Near Eastern, and 10-20% Northern and Eastern European. The "Italian" in Living DNA is probably part actual Italian and part East Med or West Asian.

In reality, we're about 50% Middle Eastern 50% European (of which 35% is South Europe, 15% is North/East Europe).

Anyway, if you can, please post some pictures or you can share a link to you results (there's a share button on the right side of the Living DNA website).

Also, are you a member of the Living DNA Users Facebook group? If not, you should join and share your results there! :)

jonahst
04-23-2018, 05:41 PM
Also, I just realized I never shared my results here. I'm full Ashkenazi.

ianz91
04-24-2018, 08:48 PM

JTest is known as being unreliable. It's common for Europeans, even NW Euros, to score like 3 or 4% Ashkenazi on jtest. Anything below 5% is to be dismissed. Also, 6% east med is within normal range for NW Europeans. On the eurogenes k13 spreadsheet for example, Dutch score 3% East Med, Germans score 5%, French 10%, etc.

kingjohn
04-25-2018, 02:57 PM
Also, I just realized I never shared my results here. I'm full Ashkenazi.

thanks for sharing:thumb:
cool results :)
what the differences you see in eurogenes k36 calculator in gedmatch between living dna raw data and ftdna raw data ?
can you post your eurogenes k36 using the living dna raw data?
kind regards
adam

Nive1526
04-25-2018, 04:37 PM

Sometimes very large parts of single chromosomes can be inherited from far distant ancestors and some components might increase on single chromosomes just by random recombination from different ancestors. I get 4.98% Ashkenazi with a maximum of 8.5% on chromosome 21. and 7.98% East Med with a maximum of 21.9% on chromosome 1. You can check how well you fit to Dutch or other European peoples either by checking your oracle or comparing your scores with the Eurogenes spreadsheet and identify which admixture components are actually increased.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XgXrkqivuGCbYocBm_MMbdRd2tX1A68D3bl_wJN3pUM

jonahst
04-25-2018, 04:49 PM
thanks for sharing:thumb:
cool results :)
what the differences you see in eurogenes k36 calculator in gedmatch between living dna raw data and ftdna raw data ?
can you post your eurogenes k36 using the living dna raw data?
kind regards
adam

FTDNA:

Population

Amerindian
-

Arabian
7.59 Pct

Armenian
6.01 Pct

Basque
2.86 Pct

Central_African
-

Central_Euro
-

East_African
-

East_Asian
-

East_Balkan
3.56 Pct

East_Central_Asian
-

East_Central_Euro
1.99 Pct

East_Med
12.74 Pct

Eastern_Euro
0.25 Pct

Fennoscandian
1.22 Pct

French
5.09 Pct

Iberian
12.49 Pct

Indo-Chinese
-

Italian
13.26 Pct

Malayan
-

Near_Eastern
12.29 Pct

North_African
3.58 Pct

North_Atlantic
3.05 Pct

North_Caucasian
5.34 Pct

North_Sea
1.43 Pct

Northeast_African
1.70 Pct

Oceanian
-

Omotic
-

Pygmy
-

Siberian
-

South_Asian
0.69 Pct

South_Central_Asian
0.32 Pct

South_Chinese
-

Volga-Ural
-

West_African
-

West_Caucasian
3.06 Pct

West_Med
1.46 Pct

Living DNA:

Population

Amerindian
-

Arabian
8.49 Pct

Armenian
6.14 Pct

Basque
0.87 Pct

Central_African
-

Central_Euro
-

East_African
-

East_Asian
-

East_Balkan
1.69 Pct

East_Central_Asian
-

East_Central_Euro
-

East_Med
14.27 Pct

Eastern_Euro
1.91 Pct

Fennoscandian
0.32 Pct

French
8.92 Pct

Iberian
14.08 Pct

Indo-Chinese
-

Italian
18.43 Pct

Malayan
-

Near_Eastern
13.47 Pct

North_African
1.07 Pct

North_Atlantic
-

North_Caucasian
-

North_Sea
1.84 Pct

Northeast_African
2.11 Pct

Oceanian
-

Omotic
-

Pygmy
-

Siberian
0.39 Pct

South_Asian
-

South_Central_Asian
2.24 Pct

South_Chinese
-

Volga-Ural
0.66 Pct

West_African
-

West_Caucasian
2.80 Pct

West_Med
0.32 Pct

Pretty different, though I think they more-or-less even out similarly, the regions are just distributed differently. Overall, my FTDNA data seems to be slightly more accurate for GEDmatch.

My K13 results for the two are very similar:

FTDNA:

#
Population
Percent

East_Med

North_Atlantic

West_Med

West_Asian

Baltic

Red_Sea

Northeast_African

South_Asian

Siberian

Living DNA:

#
Population
Percent

East_Med

North_Atlantic

West_Med

West_Asian

Baltic

Red_Sea

Northeast_African

South_Asian

Siberian

kingjohn
04-25-2018, 07:32 PM
FTDNA:

Population

Amerindian
-

Arabian
7.59 Pct

Armenian
6.01 Pct

Basque
2.86 Pct

Central_African
-

Central_Euro
-

East_African
-

East_Asian
-

East_Balkan
3.56 Pct

East_Central_Asian
-

East_Central_Euro
1.99 Pct

East_Med
12.74 Pct

Eastern_Euro
0.25 Pct

Fennoscandian
1.22 Pct

French
5.09 Pct

Iberian
12.49 Pct

Indo-Chinese
-

Italian
13.26 Pct

Malayan
-

Near_Eastern
12.29 Pct

North_African
3.58 Pct

North_Atlantic
3.05 Pct

North_Caucasian
5.34 Pct

North_Sea
1.43 Pct

Northeast_African
1.70 Pct

Oceanian
-

Omotic
-

Pygmy
-

Siberian
-

South_Asian
0.69 Pct

South_Central_Asian
0.32 Pct

South_Chinese
-

Volga-Ural
-

West_African
-

West_Caucasian
3.06 Pct

West_Med
1.46 Pct

Living DNA:

Population

Amerindian
-

Arabian
8.49 Pct

Armenian
6.14 Pct

Basque
0.87 Pct

Central_African
-

Central_Euro
-

East_African
-

East_Asian
-

East_Balkan
1.69 Pct

East_Central_Asian
-

East_Central_Euro
-

East_Med
14.27 Pct

Eastern_Euro
1.91 Pct

Fennoscandian
0.32 Pct

French
8.92 Pct

Iberian
14.08 Pct

Indo-Chinese
-

Italian
18.43 Pct

Malayan
-

Near_Eastern
13.47 Pct

North_African
1.07 Pct

North_Atlantic
-

North_Caucasian
-

North_Sea
1.84 Pct

Northeast_African
2.11 Pct

Oceanian
-

Omotic
-

Pygmy
-

Siberian
0.39 Pct

South_Asian
-

South_Central_Asian
2.24 Pct

South_Chinese
-

Volga-Ural
0.66 Pct

West_African
-

West_Caucasian
2.80 Pct

West_Med
0.32 Pct

Pretty different, though I think they more-or-less even out similarly, the regions are just distributed differently. Overall, my FTDNA data seems to be slightly more accurate for GEDmatch.

My K13 results for the two are very similar:

FTDNA:

#
Population
Percent

East_Med

North_Atlantic

West_Med

West_Asian

Baltic

Red_Sea

Northeast_African

South_Asian

Siberian

Living DNA:

#
Population
Percent

East_Med

North_Atlantic

West_Med

West_Asian

Baltic

Red_Sea

Northeast_African

South_Asian

Siberian

wow you score high french with living dna raw data .....
no wonder you score also high in the complete mode ...... the gauls B)

bzaa't
05-08-2018, 07:18 PM
I might be wrong but I think since they have a specific category for South Italy then it "steals" some of the Levantine ancestry and assigns it to the South Italian component. Either way very interesting results.

jonahst
05-09-2018, 02:26 AM
I might be wrong but I think since they have a specific category for South Italy then it "steals" some of the Levantine ancestry and assigns it to the South Italian component. Either way very interesting results.

South Italy is basically just East Med + South Italy. Of the results I've seen, Levantine Christians get about 20% South Italy, 20% Tuscany (which seems to have a lot of West Asian-Caucasus), and 45% Levant. A Cypriot girl got 35% South Italy, some Aegean, about 20% Levant, and zero "Armenia-Cyprus." All Jews I've seen (Ashkenazi and Mizrahi) get about 15-25% Levant and 25-35% South Italy. Also, I just saw a Sicilian's results for the first time and he got 50% South Italy, 25% Tuscany. In other words, Living DNA's specific labels need a lot of work, haha, but there are clear patterns :-)

One day soon, I'm going to post all of the Middle Eastern and Mediterranean results I've seen from Facebook, YouTube, and other forums (without names obviously) to the Living DNA thread so people can see these more diverse results.

Sikeliot
05-09-2018, 03:01 AM

Yes, this is true. I always say that these tests should not have a southern Italian category of its own, because then if someone of southern Italian ancestry tests, they'll get a very high percent of this component, and it will not show that person's breakdown of European-like ancestry to Levantine.

It also has adverse effects on Levantines who test, who end up with inflated "Italian" as if they are partially European, when the reality is southern Italians have Levantine ancestry (and likely other West Asian). It also might obscure that Cypriots have significant Levantine ancestry too, as they generally plot between southern Italians themselves and Levantines.

Sikeliot
05-09-2018, 03:01 AM
Also, I just saw a Sicilian's results for the first time and he got 50% South Italy, 25% Tuscany. In other words, Living DNA's specific labels need a lot of work, haha, but there are clear patterns :-)

What was the other 25%?

jonahst
05-09-2018, 03:11 AM
What was the other 25%?

15% Great Britain (probably misattributed Germanic), 1.5% Iberia, 3% North Turkey, 2% Levant, 3% Sindh.

Nive1526
05-09-2018, 08:45 AM
Has anyone seen results from Tuscany or other nearby central Italian regions?

Sikeliot
05-09-2018, 03:41 PM
15% Great Britain (probably misattributed Germanic), 1.5% Iberia, 3% North Turkey, 2% Levant, 3% Sindh.

So the South Italy cluster is masking most of their Levantine. Which part of Southern Italy is that cluster modeled on?

jonahst
05-09-2018, 05:12 PM
So the South Italy cluster is masking most of their Levantine. Which part of Southern Italy is that cluster modeled on?

Yeah, if Ashkenazi Jews tend to get around 30-35% "South Italy" and 20-25% Levant while the Sicilian gets 50% "South Italy" and no Levant, I think it's safe to assume that the "South Italy" component includes ancient Levant/East Med. It seems to cover everything south of Abruzzo and Lazio, including Sicily. That means Abruzzo actually falls under the "Tuscany" category, which I'm pretty sure includes a lot of West Asian and maybe also some East Med.

Nive1526
05-09-2018, 07:10 PM
The Levant cluster could fall short on ancestry of ancient mediterranean seafarers if it is based on more "landlocked" Levantine peoples. This would explain why Levantines show both Levant and South Italy, one being the pre-seafarer the other the seafaring-related component. Since South Italians derive most of their Levant admixture from seafarers, they do not score the expected amount of Levant.

Sikeliot
05-09-2018, 09:20 PM
The Levant cluster could fall short on ancestry of ancient mediterranean seafarers if it is based on more "landlocked" Levantine peoples. This would explain why Levantines show both Levant and South Italy, one being the pre-seafarer the other the seafaring-related component. Since South Italians derive most of their Levant admixture from seafarers, they do not score the expected amount of Levant.

Also any historical settlement from Greco-Romans, Philistines, and Normans would have remained on the coasts and inland Levantines wouldn't have it, and these components might get sucked into the South Italy cluster. Surely Philistine DNA would be read as southern Italian if it exists.

jonahst
05-09-2018, 11:25 PM
Has anyone seen results from Tuscany or other nearby central Italian regions?

I think I saw some on the Living DNA Facebook group. Soon, I'm going to write a long post on the Living DNA results thread with a lot of Middle Eastern and Mediterranean results I've seen on FB, YouTube, and elsewhere.

Dave123
05-28-2018, 10:52 AM
Hi Targum:

When I first tested with FTDNA in 2009, they confidently predicted I would be R1b on my paternal Schroeder line from a north German village called Ostereistedt, midway between Hamburg and Bremen. So, I was surprised to be in haplogroup E, subclade V-13. I had low-level (12 and 25 marker) matches from rather far-flung locations like Alleppo, Syria, Mexico, and North Africa, and more robust matches in NW Europe at the 37 and 67 marker levels. I also did the autosomal testing at FTDNA, Ancestry.com, and 23andme.com - the 'big-three' in other words.

At 23andme both my older brother (who tested only at 23) and I show 0.1% North African, which is now called "Western Asian and North African". At none of the three 'biggies' did I show any Jewish results in my ancestry composition, though early on my older brother showed less than 1% Ashkenazi at 23andme, which later disappeared, apparently morphing into Western Asian and North African, as that wasn't there before. Now, about a month ago my youngest sister tested at Ancestry.com and showed up with 1% "European Jewish", plus less than 1% each of Asia South, Europe South, and Caucasus. After seeing your reply to Claudio, on 06-11-17, at 05:01, (who scored 6% "European Jewish at Ancestry.com), I'm suspecting that a quite distant Sephardic ancestor was on our dad's side of the family.