PDA

View Full Version : blood type and personality fake science

MikeWhalen
05-29-2017, 01:13 PM
Some years ago, I was quite suprised, bordering on shocked to hear more than a few members of the forum talking about and seemingly believing in some sort of link between your blood type and your personality. I had never ever heard of such stuff and it sure seemed 'off' to me.
Just a little bit of research made it clear it was all nonsense, and worse, stemming from some of the nasty Nazi era fake science of eugenics. Some how or other, it apparently continues to believed today in some countries, and as usual with such crap, causes trouble for people for no good reason at all.

I was reminded of all of this with the article below, it focusses on Japan and this cockamammee theory's hold on the publics imagination. Apparently, a Japanese Cabinate Minister even used his blood type steriotype to help explain or rationalize a big error he made and had to publicly appologize for.
I thought the author did a pretty good job of explainy why it still holds on there, but I'm not sure it applies to other area's that have this old idea kicking around.

Anyone run into this for real in thier lives?

In the name of openess and transparancy, I apparently am 'intelligent and sensitive' on good days, but possibly "eccentric and unpredictable' on bad days and even maybe a bit 'criminal and psychopathic' when the nasty 'B' element of my 'AB' kicks in'

"Un-True Blood: Japan’s Weird Taste for Discrimination Against ‘Type Bs’
If you have Type B or AB blood in Tokyo, you may not want to admit it, lest you be considered impulsive, even degenerate."
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2017/05/29/un-true-blood-japans-weird-taste-for-discrimination-against-type-bs

Mike

RobertCasey
05-29-2017, 03:41 PM
If you want some very interesting reading on genealogical approach from the Eugenics movement (which was primarily very racist in nature), you need to look at the material of Dr. Albert Eugene Casey. This person published around 25 volumes of work on Irish research (much is just copy and paste of material). It can be found at the LDS microfilm collection and a complete paper collection at the National Library of Ireland in Dublin. 90 % of these books are genealogical in nature - but Dr. Casey also included several hundred pages on Eugenics studies for genealogical purposes via blood types (dozens of variations) and cranial measurements, etc. He extracted and analyzed 1,000s of blood types (many in Ireland) and head shapes (across much wider areas). It is amazing that he matches some of the DNA work of today (with many obvious misses as well). This studies were mainly in the 1950s and 1960s and offer a very unique usage of science for genealogical usage. The cranial studies were much broader in scope.

The series of publications are known as:

O’Kief, Coshe Mang, Slieve Lougher, and Upper Blackwater in Ireland. Birmingham, Ala., published and bound privately for the Knocknagree Historical Fund, 1952-1971; sixteen volumes and index; secondary editor on several volumes is Thomas Eugene P. Dowling, Schoolmaster and Principal, Curraghagalla National School, Parish of Glanworth, Fermoy, Co. Cork, Ireland.

Here is a brief summary of the Eugenics information:

Lastly, there is what could only be called “the other stuff.” Dr. Casey was a pathologist by training (b, 1903; Spring Hill College, A.B., 1922; St. Louis University, M.D., 1927; Pathologist and teacher of pathology, Rockefeller Institute, 1927-1934; University of Virginia, 1934-1938; Louisiana State University, 1938-1942; Pathologist and Director of Laboratories at Birmingham Baptist Hospitals, 1942-1972; d. 1982). 7

Several of his publications, including this unique collection of Irish sources, furthered his unorthodox notions of population genetics and Irish prehistory. So, here and there are found pages of craniometrics, pathologies, blood group studies, etc. which curiously punctuate the genealogical and historical material.

Too bad that all the 1950s and 1960s blood samples (with extensively Irish genealogical information taken from dozens of trips to Ireland) were not preserved for extraction for DNA testing for today. Unfortunately, his blood studies more generic in nature and not tied to the testers (which he acquired extensive genealogical information as well). This is interesting reading of using his former Eugenics research for genealogical purposes after the Eugenics movement became very unacceptable by the general public. Of course, DNA testing is a much better approach - but reading his material is very interesting to see being applied to genealogy research.

Lirio100
05-29-2017, 03:53 PM
I'm type O positive--but not exactly the warrior type! Never run across the discrimination about blood types that the article details though, here it seems to have morphed into yet another diet fad. I tried a search for the blood type diets, the very first hit was amazing, simply amazing and--no, just no.

AJL
05-29-2017, 06:41 PM
Yes, the blood type diet stuff is pretty hilarious. The idea that chicken is Kryptonite to Type Bs is laughable, as is the whole lectin premise.

The personality stuff is much more sinister, and if anyone is eccentric or psychopathic, it's someone who subscribes to such a wacky belief system.

geebee
05-29-2017, 07:40 PM
Those who just love Peter D'Adamo's blood type diets should be aware that he also seems to subscribe (at least somewhat) to the notion that blood type influences personality.

"Blood Type is a marker of individuality - and perhaps of personality as well. In Japan, it has long been believed that Blood Type is an indicator of personality - in fact, you are likely to be asked your blood type in a job interview or while out on a date with a potential mate! In a study conducted by Dr. D'Adamo in 1999, he found some interesting connections between blood type and personality. Type As most often described themselves in ways related to the following characteristics: sensitive to the needs of others, good listeners, detail oriented, analytical, creative and inventive." http://www.dadamo.com/txt/index.pl?1003

Yes, he does say "perhaps", but he really doesn't seem to think it's unreasonable. I'd rather have people draw their conclusions about my personality from their own interactions with me, not based on something like my blood type.

To me, thinking you can "predict" a person's personality based on their blood type doesn't seem very far removed from, say, thinking you can predict it based on their skin color.

EDIT: Fortunately, unlike the color of your skin, it's kind of hard for most people to know your blood type unless you tell them. :)

I'm one of only two people in my family with type O. Both my parents had type B, and all of my five siblings but one. Our personalities are all a bit different, but I don't believe I'm any more like my type-O sister than I am like either parent, or any of my other siblings.

However, even if I did share more personality characteristics with my type-O sister, I'd probably attribute it more to birth order than to blood type. I'm the youngest son, she's the youngest girl.

geebee
05-29-2017, 08:09 PM
This isn't from D'Adamo himself, but from someone who speaks approvingly of his work:

"Blood Type O - Tend to be loners or leaders and are intuitive, focused, self-reliant and daring. They handle stress better than other blood types and have strong immune systems, a well developed physique and a physically active nature. Blood type O's tend to have sluggish blood flow and feel better with vigorous exercise for about an hour each day.

He also references the other blood types, but I'm focusing on O because that's my blood type.

All I can say is that I don't see myself in the above description. I'm definitely not a loner, though I might be a bit of an introvert. As for being focused, I guess I might be if not for this little thing called "Attention Deficit Disorder". (Although I also sometimes hyperfocus -- or obsess -- so maybe that's what is meant?)

Daring? Depends on what you mean by that. I don't like heights, for example, but I've sometimes made do things involving scary heights, anyway. Like, when my family and I visted New Zealand and we went to the top of a tower in Auckland. I stepped right onto the glass panel in the floor -- for the few seconds it took for my wife to take my picture. But that might also be a function of impulsivity, which is another characteristic of ADD.

Sluggish blood flow? Possibly, and it probably does come from my blood type -- rather than from being 60, overweight, and having a rather sedentary lifestyle. I think I do feel better with exercise -- but I suspect most people do.

I almost hate to give the source of this stuff, but here it is:

https://bodyecology.com/articles/link_blood_type_personality_diet.php

It's sad to think that a prospective employer in Japan would even consider your blood type in deciding whether to hire you -- or that it would be legal -- but that seems to be the case. What's just as sad is that anyone outside of Japan would take it seriously. But to be fair, they did give up J-pop. :biggrin1:

EDIT: Check this out: https://blog.gaijinpot.com/blood-type/

The part I really had difficulty wrapping my head around was, different condoms for people with different blood types.

The author of the blog says, "In the U.S., people are often categorized into different racial groups but because Japan is ethnically and culturally homogenous we use blood types to evaluate and categorize each others."

As an American, I find that insulting. We may "categorize" into different racial groups (whether or not we ought to), but most of us find that a pretty crappy way of evaluating anyone.

(Sorry, guys, I think I might be hyperfocusing right now.)