PDA

View Full Version : A question of surnames...

BackToTheForests
06-03-2017, 11:20 PM
I have a question about a few surnames in my family line, if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

My great grandfather and his parents came to the U.S.A. in the mid 1800's and on all of their census' the place of origin is "Russia" but the language is marked as "Lithuanian". The reason I ask the question of where these names come from is that they are a bit unusual, one is "Gladkowska" and the other is "Schenck" (I lose the ability to trace any other names at this point). I know that Russia had encompassed both Lithuania and Poland (I am assuming Poland because of Gladkowska), but "Schenck" has Silesian origins. I am sure eastern migration played a part but does anyone have any information or know anyone personally with such surnames? I know this is a tricky question so thank you in advance.

Tz85
06-04-2017, 03:58 AM
Ska is the Feminine form of Ski, definitely Polish or Ukrainian. My guess Polish.

Tz85
06-04-2017, 04:01 AM
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gładkůw Their ya go, you're definitely Polish it seems.

Tz85
06-04-2017, 04:07 AM
Schneck is Old German

BackToTheForests
06-04-2017, 02:29 PM
I now have a good reference point to start searching records, thank you for that.

Tz85
06-04-2017, 02:58 PM
I now have a good reference point to start searching records, thank you for that.

The name is literally "from Gladkow".

TŠltos
06-04-2017, 03:33 PM
Welcome to Anthrogenica! If you have a Facebook account join the Lithuanian Global Genealogical Society. https://www.facebook.com/groups/lithuanian.genealogy/

This group was the breakthrough for me in finding the records for my paternal great grandfather's village in Northeastern Poland (a village that is predominately Lithuanian). This line is "Lithuanian/Polish". Various spellings of the last name in Lithuanian and Polish. It is very common to find records for our Lithuanian ancestors with Russia listed as an origin.

BackToTheForests
06-04-2017, 04:04 PM
Welcome to Anthrogenica! If you have a Facebook account join the Lithuanian Global Genealogical Society.

This group was the breakthrough for me in finding the records for my paternal great grandfather's village in Northeastern Poland (a village that is predominately Lithuanian). This line is "Lithuanian/Polish". Various spellings of the last name in Lithuanian and Polish. It is very common to find records for our Lithuanian ancestors with Russia listed as an origin.

Thank you! I do not have a Facebook but I will make one specifically for this as soon as I can.

Tomenable
06-06-2017, 02:29 PM
I suppose that "Schenck" could be from East Prussian Lithuanians:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prussian_Lithuanians

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithuania_Minor

Assuming that they were Lithuanian-speakers (not German-speakers).

BackToTheForests
06-06-2017, 06:07 PM
They were indeed Lithuanian speakers.

Tomenable
06-06-2017, 06:15 PM
They were indeed Lithuanian speakers.

Lithuanian-speakers, but apparently one with a Polish surname and one with a German surname.

Maybe they were respectively of mixed Lithuanian-Polish and mixed Lithuanian-German ancestry?

BackToTheForests
06-06-2017, 06:53 PM
Lithuanian-speakers, but apparently one with a Polish surname and one with a German surname.

Maybe they were respectively of mixed Lithuanian-Polish and mixed Lithuanian-German ancestry?

It is definitely possible, I was thinking the most likely scenario is Schenck came from Silesia and integrated into Lithuania but this is only conjecture on my part until I can find more information.

Tomenable
06-06-2017, 07:59 PM
Did you buy also some autosomal DNA test(s)? And if so, do you have a GEDmatch kit?

BackToTheForests
06-06-2017, 11:22 PM
My kit number: M814467

Tz85
06-06-2017, 11:37 PM
Schenk is a common German and Dutch occupational surname derived from schenken (=to pour out or serve) and referring to the medieval profession of cup-bearer or wine server (later also to tavern keeper).

BackToTheForests
06-14-2017, 08:44 PM
I have a small update, I misinterpreted the surname "Gladkowska", it is actually "Glowatskus". I have tried to search it but have come up with nothing, unfortunately I may be at a dead end here. She is supposed to be from Lithuania according to census info and family history.