PDA

View Full Version : Confused with gedmatch and 23 and me results

Ace Mumtaz
06-04-2017, 02:25 PM
Sorry if I sound a bit stupid I am new to this whole ancestry thing. Anyway my 23 and me results said that I was 99% south asian and a 0. Something percent broadly European but I wasn't really satisfied with the results and wanted a more in depth anyalysis of where my southasian Results specifically were. I've uploaded my raw data to GEDmatch and have played around with the admixture tool but I am really confused to be honest with most of projects and calculators and most of them have been giving results around 50 - 70% south asian and the rest being Caucasus or some Sort of hunter gatherers. I really don't know what all this means and why the results are different. I kind of know that some calculators or projects are better for south Asians but haven't got a clue where to start So can u plz help me understand what I'm doing wrong what calculator/project I should be using and why my results are so different. Also how reliable are the results I get from here. Btw I am a Pakistani Kashmiri however my grandparents are originally from the Indian side of Kashmir.

bol_nat
06-04-2017, 04:28 PM
Sorry if I sound a bit stupid I am new to this whole ancestry thing. Anyway my 23 and me results said that I was 99% south asian and a 0. Something percent broadly European but I wasn't really satisfied with the results and wanted a more in depth anyalysis of where my southasian Results specifically were. I've uploaded my raw data to GEDmatch and have played around with the admixture tool but I am really confused to be honest with most of projects and calculators and most of them have been giving results around 50 - 70% south asian and the rest being Caucasus or some Sort of hunter gatherers. I really don't know what all this means and why the results are different. I kind of know that some calculators or projects are better for south Asians but haven't got a clue where to start So can u plz help me understand what I'm doing wrong what calculator/project I should be using and why my results are so different. Also how reliable are the results I get from here. Btw I am a Pakistani Kashmiri however my grandparents are originally from the Indian side of Kashmir.

Can you post your results from Harappa World calculator?

Ace Mumtaz
06-04-2017, 05:11 PM
Can you post your results from Harappa World calculator?

south indian - 32.99
baloch - 40.20
caucasian - 15.68
NE Euro - 5.77
papuan - 0.99
american - 1.36
berinigian - 1.43
mediterranean - 0.43
SW asian - 1.16

bol_nat
06-04-2017, 05:13 PM
south indian - 32.99
baloch - 40.20
caucasian - 15.68
NE Euro - 5.77
papuan - 0.99
american - 1.36
berinigian - 1.43
mediterranean - 0.43
SW asian - 1.16

Are you potohari speaking or ethnic kashmiri?

Kulin
06-04-2017, 06:02 PM
south indian - 32.99
baloch - 40.20
caucasian - 15.68
NE Euro - 5.77
papuan - 0.99
american - 1.36
berinigian - 1.43
mediterranean - 0.43
SW asian - 1.16

Your results look normal for someone from Southern Asia. Are you a Mirpuri/Pahari speaker or do you speak Kashmiri/Koshur? I'm guessing the former since your results seem a bit different from ethnic Kashmiri ones I've seen.

Ace Mumtaz
06-04-2017, 07:00 PM
My grandparents are originally from Srinagar and apparently are ethnic Kashmiri ( had to check with my mum lol ) and migrated to mirpur after the Bangladesh war

Ace Mumtaz
06-04-2017, 07:43 PM
Turns out we are pothari actually my dad said his family speaks potwari

bol_nat
06-04-2017, 07:58 PM
Turns out we are pothari actually my dad said his family speaks potwari

which braderi? raja?

MonkeyDLuffy
06-04-2017, 11:18 PM
yea the Baloch is high for an ethnic kashmiri. Your results seems normal from potohar region, especially higher caucasian. A good example would be Punjabi Khatris who mostly hailed from Potohar region before migration to India after partition. They tend to score high Caucasian.

On second look your results are very Similar to punjabi Khatris

Ace Mumtaz
06-05-2017, 02:58 PM
Gujjar apparently

bol_nat
06-05-2017, 08:49 PM
Gujjar apparently

Father potowari speaking gujjar and mother family koshur speaking ethnic kashmiri? Kashmir&Jammu stuff get confusing. Or both sides are gujjars?

Ace Mumtaz
06-07-2017, 02:46 PM
Father potowari speaking gujjar and mother family koshur speaking ethnic kashmiri? Kashmir&Jammu stuff get confusing. Or both sides are gujjars?
Both are gujjar I think

bol_nat
06-07-2017, 04:32 PM
Both are gujjar I think

@Noman is also Pakistani gujjar
http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?10606-Pakistani-Results!

Post your results from other gedmatch.com calculators. Or better yet upload 23andme raw data to www.DNA.land and www.Myheritage.com.

to compare results with other south asians
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XGY-UIBC2GcUWGl1FizNvu9ofle4ZPHvfNmbrVYxGMo/edit#gid=6