PDA

View Full Version : Han Chinese and Indian ancestry ?

IphonePlus
06-06-2017, 01:42 PM
Hello, I recently was doing research into the Indian sub-continent. I was wondering if the average Indian has any traceable Han Chinese ancestry ? In other words, do Indian people have any admixture from the Han Chinese ? Do the Han Chinese have any traceable Indian ancestry? I can't seem to find any evidence that they do. I have looked at several studies and the Han seem to be very genetically different. The reason why I am looking this up is because I want to explore the effects of geography in Asia. It seems the Himalayas provided a huge barrier from India to China.

http://www.pnas.org/content/95/20/11763.long

http://www.pnas.org/content/113/6/1594.full.pdf

Toor
06-07-2017, 06:49 PM
Any Han Chinese migration to the Indian mainland would have been small in number and restricted to Buddhist monks. Tibetans however did have a lot of contact with some groups in India. My region was part of the Tibetan Empire and our language (Maithili) has Tibetan loanwords.

Kulin
06-07-2017, 07:03 PM
Aside from some Chinese migrants in the last two-three centuries, there aren't any Indians of Han Chinese ancestry. "Han China" itself never really extended as far as the Himalayas. Even today, Tibet and Xinjiang are regarded as frontier regions, and aren't part of the Han core. Even Yunnan, which borders Arunachal Pradesh in India is regarded as the southwest frontier of Han Chinese expansion.

If you're on the other hand, talking about "East Eurasian-like" admixture in the Indian subcontinent, then there are lots of communities that have it. There are many East Eurasian majority tribes that dwell in the subcontinent (e.g. Mizo, Bodo, Khasi, Garo, Naga, Limbu, Tripuri, Rai, Gurung, Newar, Magar, ethnic Tibetans,Ladakhis etc). Apart from that, some Indo-Aryan speakers also have some East Eurasian mixture. These include the Pahari speaking people of the Himalayas (Khas Nepalis of Nepal, Garwhalis and Kumaonis of Garwhal/Kumaon region respectively of Uttarakhand, Dogri/Kangri speakers of Himachal) who have some East Eurasian from Sino-Tibetan-like groups. Similarly, Assamese of Assam have some East Eurasian from Tai-Ahoms or tribal-like populations, and so do Bengalis of Bengal from tribal-groups of the area.