PDA

View Full Version : J2b2 With only Western European heritage

Cabal65
06-07-2017, 05:07 AM
I'm a J2b2, but have absolutely no southeastern European ancestry. Also no Italian or Roman ancestry. My father's family is from Northwest England, and was originally from France. The family name is of Gaulish origin. I know that there is speculation that the Celts may have carried J2b2 in minority. Any ideas would be great.

Nihil ex nihilo
06-07-2017, 05:14 AM
J2b2 in France that's head scratchier.

Cabal65
06-07-2017, 08:45 AM
Yeah, it's been hard trying to figure that one out. I know my family came to England during the Norman conquest. But before that, all I know is the original family name, and that they were in France.

lgmayka
06-07-2017, 01:30 PM
J-Z2507 (https://yfull.com/tree/J-Z2507/) is pretty common all across Europe. If you really want a more definite answer, you could use the current coupon (RAMBigY2017) to order the Big Y for $425.

Cabal65
06-09-2017, 02:38 AM
My deep subclade is J-Y32998 underneath J-Z1043.

slamberty
06-09-2017, 09:55 AM
I am also a J2b2 with paternal ancestry originating from what is now the area of Daleiden/Eschfeld in Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany but was once a part of Luxembourg prior to the territory acquisition by Prussia. I've reached more or less the same conclusion as you have with my paternal ancestry as well, the most likely source of mine being either Celtic or Roman. I'm mainly going by the history of the region as well as demographics (as far as ancient ancestry and ethnicity goes), people moving around and the likelihood of populations intermingling with one another at any given point in time. I learned that our ancestral home lie outside of not one but two J2b2 hotspots in the area of Germany and the low countries (Netherlands), in which Roman legions were stationed, namely comprised of legionnaires from southeastern Europe, which is why I took that possibility into consideration. However, my uncle was the first to take the test with 23andMe and I noticed that while we ended up with slightly different genetic ancestry patterns which changed again once I linked up my account with my mothers (which I'm not surprised about given the circumstances and not everything is perfect), our paternal haplogroup assignment was and remained the same so that made it credible. Also I had noticed that my uncle had a tiny amount of Italian DNA but none specifically from the area of southeastern Europe, which I figured would most likely have been the source of our paternal lineage if it did come with the Romans, with his ancestral European composition being predominantly northwestern European. And the way I figured, with such small amounts of DNA assigned to a certain group, I look at the history of different regions as well as the history of the populations and try to determine for myself whether or not there are any similarities, then that can help me draw specific conclusions, that we may or we may not have that ancestry in our background. I also take into consideration how far back in time the DNA test goes as well. And again, nothing's perfect. Hopefully we'll be able to find out more in the near future.

olive picker
06-09-2017, 01:52 PM
J2b2 is a rare haplogroup outside the Balkans, but it's certainly not a a haplogroup that's alien to Europe.

Fatherland
06-09-2017, 01:59 PM
^ as Olive Picker said.