PDA

View Full Version : HUGE differences in MyHeritage & Ancestry DNA tests. What to make of it?

JJBoogie
06-07-2017, 07:20 PM
So here's Ancestry.com's results. Also had me at 1% Mali in West Africa and I know that is probably just noise. But 18% British! MyHeritage doesn't have any British at all!. Also MyHeritage doesn't list me as having any Italian at all. Mostly Greek and Sardinian. So now I am wondering if I am Italian at all. All my life I thought I was Italian. Family from Sicily and Abruzzo Italy. Ancestry also has me at 6% Ashkenazi and MyHeritage none. Ancestry gave me more Eastern European and Caucuses and MyHeritage just Balkan and much smaller Middle Eastern percentages with no Caucuses at all.

So which one should I trust more?

http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b599/jjboogie1/Screen%20Shot%202017-06-07%20at%203.09.22%20PM_zpseq1y8azy.png (http://s1293.photobucket.com/user/jjboogie1/media/Screen%20Shot%202017-06-07%20at%203.09.22%20PM_zpseq1y8azy.png.html)

Here's MyHeritage results which gave me almost 1% Somali. LOL

Thoughts? Thanks!

http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b599/jjboogie1/Screen%20Shot%202017-06-07%20at%203.01.55%20PM_zps6f1toohq.png (http://s1293.photobucket.com/user/jjboogie1/media/Screen%20Shot%202017-06-07%20at%203.01.55%20PM_zps6f1toohq.png.html)

lukaszM
06-07-2017, 07:30 PM
Your MyHeritage results is from uploaded kit from other company?

sweuro
06-07-2017, 07:31 PM
in myHeritage seems like Italian is northern-italian, that's why.

lilac9
06-07-2017, 07:51 PM
@JJ Boogie You worry about 1% Somali? Obviously its ancient. Even I consider my own Amerindian and African as old because I don't know any recent ancestors(grandparents, great-grandparents) as 100%( or even 50%) Amerindian or African.

I got 3% Irish on Ancestry. I don't have any Irish ancestors that I know of so I'm assuming it comes from my Spanish ancestry.

I get 26% Italian/Greek on Ancestry.com and 23.8% on MyHeritage.

I do think my Italian is North Italian because using the K36 Eurogenes tool that some have developed here I seem to match rather well with Bergamo and other Northern areas of Italy. I have not one surname in my tree that is Italian although you can find Italian surnames in Puerto Rico like Antonmmarchi, Ghigiliotty, etc.

sktibo
06-07-2017, 08:10 PM
Those results look more similar than they do different

JJBoogie
06-07-2017, 08:15 PM
Your MyHeritage results is from uploaded kit from other company?

Yes sir. Uploaded raw data from another company.

JJBoogie
06-07-2017, 08:16 PM
Those results look more similar than they do different

Ok so do am I part Ashkenazi or not? Am I Italian or not? Lol

lilac9
06-07-2017, 08:31 PM
Ok so do am I part Ashkenazi or not? Am I Italian or not? Lol

I am not an expert on Sicilians but weren't the original settlers of Greek origin? The Ashkenazi is rather harder to figure out. You would think an Israeli company like MyHeritage would get that right.

Did you try MyOrigins 2.0 or DNATribes snp analysis? Both give Jewish.

MyOrigins had me at 8% Sephardi and DNATribes at 12.9% Sephardi and myHeritage gave me 0% Jewish so who knows which is right.

You are Italian of course. Sicily is part of Italy. I always thought Sicilians considered themselves Sicilian first and Italian second.

nuplix
06-07-2017, 10:05 PM
The reason is very obvious:

http://i.imgur.com/6q2X3vx.png

Sikeliot
06-07-2017, 10:35 PM
Ancestry.com is terrible for people of European origins.

Sikeliot
06-07-2017, 10:39 PM
Italian on MyHeritage is from somewhere in the north, so southern Italians are going to come up a mixture of Italian, Greek, and various MENA elements (West Asia, Middle East, North Africa, or even some Jewish groups). Every Sicilian I have seen thus far, no matter region of the island, scores Greek and I have even seen an Apulian scoring 68%.

sktibo
06-07-2017, 10:43 PM

Irish excluded, i agree

Tomenable
06-07-2017, 10:53 PM
I am not an expert on Sicilians but weren't the original settlers of Greek origin?

Sicilians are indeed more closely related to Greek Islanders than to Northern Italians, IIRC.

Sikeliot
06-07-2017, 10:58 PM
Sicilians are indeed more closely related to Greek Islanders than to Northern Italians, IIRC.

Sicilians and Cretans, in particular, are very close, closer than either one of them is to mainland Greeks of any kind OR to north-central Italians. But I think the Greek sample on MyHeritage is mostly mainlanders, and I say this because Albanians seem to score that element very significantly, as did the one Peloponnesian I've seen.

Sicilians are basically an Italian-Greek mixture with an additional 20-30% or so of combined excess Caucasus, Levantine and North African admixture, and this is how their results are coming back on both MyHeritage and Ancestry and confirmed by studies like Sarno et al. The same should be true for Crete.

Magnetic
06-07-2017, 11:03 PM
Am I Italian or not? Lol

Ethnicity : Sicilian

JJBoogie
06-07-2017, 11:47 PM

That blows! Why is that?

Sikeliot
06-07-2017, 11:51 PM
That blows! Why is that?

1) Underestimates Iberian ancestry and a lot of it goes into both Italian/Greek and British or Irish
2) Struggles to differentiate British and Irish from "West European"
3) Inflates Ashkenazi Jewish ancestry for southern Italians
4) Sucks a lot of SSA into "North African" for people who are also part Southern European, even if the SSA is genuine

JJBoogie
06-07-2017, 11:51 PM
Ethnicity : Sicilian

Oh duh! Sorry! I still need to get used to saying that. :-)

JJBoogie
06-08-2017, 12:02 AM
Sicilians and Cretans, in particular, are very close, closer than either one of them is to mainland Greeks of any kind OR to north-central Italians. But I think the Greek sample on MyHeritage is mostly mainlanders, and I say this because Albanians seem to score that element very significantly, as did the one Peloponnesian I've seen.

Sicilians are basically an Italian-Greek mixture with an additional 20-30% or so of combined excess Caucasus, Levantine and North African admixture, and this is how their results are coming back on both MyHeritage and Ancestry and confirmed by studies like Sarno et al. The same should be true for Crete.

I didn't even get any Caususus show up at all either. Lol

Sikeliot
06-08-2017, 12:03 AM
I didn't even get any Caususus show up at all either. Lol

Also no causu

Results never show up "half" of that of a full member of an ethnicity. I do not score half of the elements my father doesn't have but my mother scores.. the calculators reinterpret everything all as one.

Magnetic
06-08-2017, 12:17 AM
Oh duh! Sorry! I still need to get used to saying that. :-)

I meant that you put up sicilian in your profile (sicilians are italian) so you are italian . but you doubt if you are italian ?

Sikeliot
06-08-2017, 12:27 AM
I meant that you put up sicilian in your profile (sicilians are italian) so you are italian . but you doubt if you are italian ?

They are part of the Italian nation, but their ancestry is not solely Italian from the mainland, no. Out of 4 Sicilian results I have seen thus far on MyHeritage, 2 of them were more Greek than Italian, with mainland references used for both. So it depends on how you define it.

Magnetic
06-08-2017, 12:31 AM
They are part of the Italian nation, but their ancestry is not solely Italian from the mainland, no. Out of 4 Sicilian results I have seen thus far on MyHeritage, 2 of them were more Greek than Italian, with mainland references used for both. So it depends on how you define it.

I mean they are italians and part of italy . and when you ask a sicilian what he is other than sicilian he will say italian . he will not say "well we are part of the Italian nation, but our ancestry is not solely Italian from the mainland, no. Out of 4 Sicilian results I have seen thus far on MyHeritage, 2 of them were more Greek than Italian, with mainland references used for both. So it depends on how you define it." lmao

Sikeliot
06-08-2017, 12:37 AM
I mean they are italians and part of italy . and when you ask a sicilian what he is other than sicilian he will say italian . he will not say "well we are part of the Italian nation, but our ancestry is not solely Italian from the mainland, no. Out of 4 Sicilian results I have seen thus far on MyHeritage, 2 of them were more Greek than Italian, with mainland references used for both. So it depends on how you define it." lmao

But for the purpose of a conversation on GENETICS it is perfectly reasonable for them to question whether they are 'Italian' or not. Maybe they'd score more Greek, or like Principe and the woman from Trapani I posted a significant portion comes up as Moroccan Jewish. I doubt that poster disputes that Sicilians are Italian nationals.

Magnetic
06-08-2017, 12:41 AM
But for the purpose of a conversation on GENETICS it is perfectly reasonable for them to question whether they are 'Italian' or not. Maybe they'd score more Greek, or like Principe and the woman from Trapani I posted a significant portion comes up as Moroccan Jewish. I doubt that poster disputes that Sicilians are Italian nationals.

I think it is nitpicking though . there are always a few variables here and there . as long as a sicilian doesnt come out as 80% west asian and 20% ssa or something like that there is no need to make any divisions or subcategories or whatever

but that was not the point I wanted to make . I wondered if he is not sure wether he is sicilian or not which he put on the profile because he asks if he is italian so I guess he is not sure about his exact origins

Sikeliot
06-08-2017, 12:44 AM
but that was not the point I wanted to make . I wondered if he is not sure wether he is sicilian or not which he put on the profile because he asks if he is italian so I guess he is not sure about his exact origins

I think what he meant was he doesn't know if his Sicilian side was genetically Italian or whether it was more Greek. Anyway we only have four results to go by but of those the Greek ranges from 53% to 14%, the Italian from 48% to 6%, and MENA elements combined are roughly 25-30% added together. Two of them got high (16-22%) Moroccan Jewish.

His question was reasonable.

Magnetic
06-08-2017, 12:49 AM
I think what he meant was he doesn't know if his Sicilian side was genetically Italian or whether it was more Greek. Anyway we only have four results to go by but of those the Greek ranges from 53% to 14%, the Italian from 48% to 6%, and MENA elements combined are roughly 25-30% added together. Two of them got high (16-22%) Moroccan Jewish.

His question was reasonable.

ok then

I apologize to have interfered fratello

hihi

JJBoogie
06-08-2017, 12:59 AM
@JJ Boogie You worry about 1% Somali? Obviously its ancient.

Ha! No I am not worried about it at all. I just thought it was funny one sight had 1% African but from the west coast and then another DNA site has 1% African but from the East coast. :-)

JJBoogie
06-08-2017, 01:03 AM

Forgive my ignorance and I do understand what you are saying with the timeline chart you shared however I do not really understand how they can just give you information about a snapshot of your DNA ethnicity history. Why do different companies focus on different time frames? And how are they able to read your DNA from different time periods?

Sikeliot
06-08-2017, 01:15 AM
ok then

I apologize to have interfered fratello

hihi

No worries I just wanted to clarify what I think he meant. Sicilians are obviously Italian by the standards that apply in the real world :)

JJBoogie
06-08-2017, 01:20 AM
No worries I just wanted to clarify what I think he meant. Sicilians are obviously Italian by the standards that apply in the real world :)

Yes you understood what I was asking.

Sorry everyone for not being more clear.

And thank you to everyone chiming in trying to help me. I really appreciate it. This whole DNA is extremely confusing to me. I don't understand it that well. I am trying though! I am really trying! :-)

Dibran
06-08-2017, 01:38 AM

Yea. I get 74 percent Greek and 16 percent Balkan with 8 percent Italian.

My father gets 98 percent Greek and 2 Italian. We are both Albanian.

JJBoogie
06-08-2017, 01:48 AM

Oh wow!

Yeah I ran my wife's raw data thru MyHeritage as well and on AncestryDNA no Native American showed up but on MyHeritage it gave her 1.5%
She had called her grandmother who had always told her growing up that she was part Cherokee that the DNA test said there was NONE! Now this other one shows a little. LOL

lilac9
06-08-2017, 01:57 AM
Ha! No I am not worried about it at all. I just thought it was funny one sight had 1% African but from the west coast and then another DNA site has 1% African but from the East coast. :-)

Figure of speech the "worried." I know no one worries about such small percentages. Most people just think its noise or else something ancient. They may have a very hard time pinpointing such small amounts because I have noticed that African DNA overlaps just as much as European dna.

lilac9
06-08-2017, 02:02 AM
Oh wow!

Yeah I ran my wife's raw data thru MyHeritage as well and on AncestryDNA no Native American showed up but on MyHeritage it gave her 1.5%
She had called her grandmother who had always told her growing up that she was part Cherokee that the DNA test said there was NONE! Now this other one shows a little. LOL

Tell her not to celebrate yet. MyHeritage is using mestizos for its Central American category. I've seen Mexicans who get like 45% Native on other tests get like 70% Central American on MyHeritage.

Sikeliot
06-08-2017, 02:16 AM

So this also means some Sicilians might really also have Arbereshe ancestry but it is going to show up Greek. Though I do think we all have some Greek in us by now.

Roaring
06-08-2017, 02:49 AM
MyHeritage is not very reliable in my opinion, my grandfather is 1\2 Baltic German and 1\2 East Slav, while his Ftdna make perfect sense myheritage looks extremly wild.

http://i.imgur.com/1Mf6Esj.png
http://i.imgur.com/nWn6f1s.png

Dibran
06-08-2017, 03:11 AM
So this also means some Sicilians might really also have Arbereshe ancestry but it is going to show up Greek. Though I do think we all have some Greek in us by now.

As far as ref group it appears Greek covers Greece Macedonia Bulgaria southern Albania and part of northeast Albania(where I'm from).

It might just be all are included in that reference group from said regions.

My Albanian friends from Malesia Kosova and Montenegro all get elevated Balkan percentages. Usually 50/50 Balkan and Greek.

Sikeliot
06-08-2017, 03:13 AM
As far as ref group it appears Greek covers Greece Macedonia Bulgaria southern Albania and part of northeast Albania(where I'm from).

It might just be all are included in that reference group from said regions.

My Albanian friends from Malesia Kosova and Montenegro all get elevated Balkan percentages. Usually 50/50 Balkan and Greek.

So "Greek" is really southern Balkan then. As I mentioned before southern Italians are also scoring a lot of it, but never any Balkan otherwise, though this could be Greek, Illyrian, or Arbereshe.

JJBoogie
06-08-2017, 03:26 AM
I am not an expert on Sicilians but weren't the original settlers of Greek origin? The Ashkenazi is rather harder to figure out. You would think an Israeli company like MyHeritage would get that right.

Did you try MyOrigins 2.0 or DNATribes snp analysis? Both give Jewish.

MyOrigins had me at 8% Sephardi and DNATribes at 12.9% Sephardi and myHeritage gave me 0% Jewish so who knows which is right.

You are Italian of course. Sicily is part of Italy. I always thought Sicilians considered themselves Sicilian first and Italian second.

Here's some DNA Tribes results

http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b599/jjboogie1/Screen%20Shot%202017-06-07%20at%2010.45.04%20PM_zpsmwwsugqn.png (http://s1293.photobucket.com/user/jjboogie1/media/Screen%20Shot%202017-06-07%20at%2010.45.04%20PM_zpsmwwsugqn.png.html)

http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b599/jjboogie1/Screen%20Shot%202017-06-07%20at%2010.45.13%20PM_zpsogoeznfo.png (http://s1293.photobucket.com/user/jjboogie1/media/Screen%20Shot%202017-06-07%20at%2010.45.13%20PM_zpsogoeznfo.png.html)

http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b599/jjboogie1/Screen%20Shot%202017-06-07%20at%2010.45.44%20PM_zps8gvb0ebw.png (http://s1293.photobucket.com/user/jjboogie1/media/Screen%20Shot%202017-06-07%20at%2010.45.44%20PM_zps8gvb0ebw.png.html)

lilac9
06-08-2017, 03:48 AM
Ok so you get Ashkenazi Jew on DNATribes and Ancestry and very similar percentages too. So maybe it is real. How about 23andme and MyOrigins?

Salento
06-08-2017, 04:04 AM
If Apulians score 68% West Asia, then are NOT Apulians.

JJBoogie
06-08-2017, 04:18 AM
Ok so you get Ashkenazi Jew on DNATribes and Ancestry and very similar percentages too. So maybe it is real. How about 23andme and MyOrigins?

I have never done 23andMe but you did remind me about MyOrigins. Here are those results. Pretty cool. They don't list much Middle Eastern on there but they include Jewish DNA but they say Sephardic and not Ashkenazi which is weird. Not sure why that is. What do you think?

http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b599/jjboogie1/Screen%20Shot%202017-06-08%20at%2012.11.04%20AM_zps8scrhyiv.png (http://s1293.photobucket.com/user/jjboogie1/media/Screen%20Shot%202017-06-08%20at%2012.11.04%20AM_zps8scrhyiv.png.html)

Dibran
06-08-2017, 04:28 AM
So "Greek" is really southern Balkan then. As I mentioned before southern Italians are also scoring a lot of it, but never any Balkan otherwise, though this could be Greek, Illyrian, or Arbereshe.

Definitely possible. I would bet its connected to Greek and Arbereshe. As I would think Balkan would be more steppe, like illyrians. Me and my father score higher greek than normal for Gheg(north) albanians. Doing some research, I have one of 2 possible explanations.

The first(possibly most likely) There was a Albanian clan with our surname(Koci) from Epirus, who were of mixed Arvanite, and Greek origin. Perhaps some splinter groups broke off and moved to our present location. Me and my father form our own cluster next to Albanians on the PCA.

Listed as Dibran/Dibran father. It could be due to isolation in Okshtun. Very rugged mountain region.

The other possibility is this. We have oral history claiming to have originated in Mirdita with the surname Pershpalaj. Persh=from, Palaj=Paul. From Paul...

I spoke to an Albanian guy from here, who claims the Pershpalaj(according to village elders and oral history) was a Italian Condottieri from somewhere in Italy, hired by Skanderbeg, and brought to Albania to fight the Ottomans.

No way to confirm this(doing a yelite with full genomes).

Assuming the line didnt come in from a woman who married into the Kocis, then I would presume(if true) ancestry could have arrived 550 years ago into Albania. Assuming it arrived directly down the male line rather than intermarriage lost in translation.,

As far as our results, this is what I get for My Heritage:

My father:

My23:

My fathers23:

christa
06-08-2017, 08:33 AM

I Think so. Apulia, before the Romans, was an illiric region and south coast was Magna Grecia.

firemonkey
06-08-2017, 08:57 AM

Where did you get that from?

christa
06-08-2017, 09:00 AM

I'm certer apulian, i have in Myheritage 68% greek, 11% iberia, about 9% italian, 6,8% askenazi, and about 5% North africa and middle estern . With FTDNA i have 94% Southest Europe, 4% west and centrale Europe, <1% South American, <1% South central Asia and < 2% west middle west . So i have only very few middle estern (also in dnaland I have only 1,1% middle est).

christa
06-08-2017, 09:02 AM
I think Myheritage goes back of more of 2000 years ago.

Sikeliot
06-08-2017, 11:12 AM

No, she scored 68% Greek. Her non-European components were only around 6%.

Sikeliot
06-08-2017, 11:13 AM
I Think so. Apulia, before the Romans, was an illiric region and south coast was Magna Grecia.

In your case it could be a combination of Illyrian and Greek. It is likely Greek descendants eventually migrated north from their original area of settlement also.

Salento
06-08-2017, 12:35 PM
In the South of Puglia, the Messapi purge most of the Greek Colonies. The Greeks come back with Vengence, but they were only able to take back Taranto.
More Greeks settle in South Puglia less then 1100 ago years or so.

lilac9
06-08-2017, 05:59 PM
I have never done 23andMe but you did remind me about MyOrigins. Here are those results. Pretty cool. They don't list much Middle Eastern on there but they include Jewish DNA but they say Sephardic and not Ashkenazi which is weird. Not sure why that is. What do you think?

http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b599/jjboogie1/Screen%20Shot%202017-06-08%20at%2012.11.04%20AM_zps8scrhyiv.png (http://s1293.photobucket.com/user/jjboogie1/media/Screen%20Shot%202017-06-08%20at%2012.11.04%20AM_zps8scrhyiv.png.html)

Well this is disconcerting. I don't know how similar Ashkenazi are to Sephardi. I myself never seem to get Ashkenazi on any test except 23andme which finds 1.5%. Since 3 of your tests say you have Jewish though I would look into it. I háve no idea how you would know if any were Jewish though like I don't know how to investigate if any of my Spanish ancestors were Sephardi. I always seem to get North African but someone said here that North African shows differently than Sephardi and these tests can tell the difference. I once thought one of my ancestors might have been Sephardi because they named a daughter, Rosalia Sabá. The second name I found most curious because this is not a Spanish name. But then I found it in a Catholic almanac. The almanac was a calendar which had the name of Catholic saints and it was customary to name children out of that almanac in Puerto Rico at that time in the 1800's.

JJBoogie
06-08-2017, 06:54 PM
Well this is disconcerting. I don't know how similar Ashkenazi are to Sephardi. I myself never seem to get Ashkenazi on any test except 23andme which finds 1.5%. Since 3 of your tests say you have Jewish though I would look into it. I háve no idea how you would know if any were Jewish though like I don't know how to investigate if any of my Spanish ancestors were Sephardi. I always seem to get North African but someone said here that North African shows differently than Sephardi and these tests can tell the difference. I once thought one of my ancestors might have been Sephardi because they named a daughter, Rosalia Sabá. The second name I found most curious because this is not a Spanish name. But then I found it in a Catholic almanac. The almanac was a calendar which had the name of Catholic saints and it was customary to name children out of that almanac in Puerto Rico at that time in the 1800's.

I asked everybody who is left in my family who might know our history and all everybody knows and remembers is great great grandparents where all Catholic on both sides but who knows before that there certainly could have been converts from Judaism.

Also my last name is Reichert which has showed up on a few Ashkenazi Surname websites which is interesting. LOL

JJBoogie
06-08-2017, 07:17 PM
This is an interesting article which mentions the similarities between Sephardic and Ashkenazi DNA. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/10/science/10jews.html

Aldric
06-08-2017, 07:18 PM
Have you tried gedmatch (eurogenes)? You might get a better picture since autosomes assigned/genotyped by various genetic companies can vary quite tremendously. So it can be quite hard sometimes to approximate one's autosomal dna with that in mind.

JJBoogie
06-08-2017, 07:35 PM
Have you tried gedmatch (eurogenes)? You might get a better picture since autosomes assigned/genotyped by various genetic companies can vary quite tremendously. So it can be quite hard sometimes to approximate one's autosomal dna with that in mind.

Here's my jtest results. Also on the Eurogenes K13 on the oracle showed both Ashkenazi and Sephardic with far distances.

It's also interesting that Ancestry DNA showed a hint of West African and MyHeritage showed a hint of West African. LOL

http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b599/jjboogie1/Screen%20Shot%202017-06-08%20at%203.25.29%20PM_zpsasvo19hv.png (http://s1293.photobucket.com/user/jjboogie1/media/Screen%20Shot%202017-06-08%20at%203.25.29%20PM_zpsasvo19hv.png.html)

lilac9
06-08-2017, 07:41 PM
I asked everybody who is left in my family who might know our history and all everybody knows and remembers is great great grandparents where all Catholic on both sides but who knows before that there certainly could have been converts from Judaism.

Also my last name is Reichert which has showed up on a few Ashkenazi Surname websites which is interesting. LOL

Oh wow your last name is really un-Italian! I would not be sure that Reichert is Jewish though. It sounds German to me.

Oh about the Jewish surname websites. It seems that most Spanish surnames are Sephardi. I hardly think they are reliable since I have most of those surnames!

I think it would be very cool to be Sephardi but I'm not sure I will ever be able to prove it.

JJBoogie
06-08-2017, 08:02 PM
Oh wow your last name is really un-Italian! I would not be sure that Reichert is Jewish though. It sounds German to me.

Oh about the Jewish surname websites. It seems that most Spanish surnames are Sephardi. I hardly think they are reliable since I have most of those surnames!

I think it would be very cool to be Sephardi but I'm not sure I will ever be able to prove it.

LOL! It is of Bavarian origin. But I have found several jews with the same name.

My mother's maiden name is Maltese. My dad's mother's maiden name is DiDonato. Reichert comes from the Polish side of my family which is a small percentage ethnicity wise.

Sikeliot
06-08-2017, 08:04 PM
In the South of Puglia, the Messapi purge most of the Greek Colonies. The Greeks come back with Vengence, but they were only able to take back Taranto.
More Greeks settle in South Puglia less then 1100 ago years or so.

Both would be read as Greek on MyHeritage I believe.

christa
06-08-2017, 08:58 PM
Both would be read as Greek on MyHeritage I believe.

I have seen Southern Apulia with about 57% greek, 20% sardinian,15% west asian and the rest is iberian.

Sikeliot
06-08-2017, 09:21 PM
I have seen Southern Apulia with about 57% greek, 20% sardinian,15% west asian and the rest is iberian.

Interesting. That is getting closer to the Sicilian results but not quite. Either way there is clearly Greek input in there.

JJBoogie
06-11-2017, 03:04 PM
Interesting. That is getting closer to the Sicilian results but not quite. Either way there is clearly Greek input in there.

I love your knowledge on this stuff man. Trying to keep up! :-)

kingjohn
06-11-2017, 04:04 PM
jjboogie 65% greek here and 66% south east europe in my origins 2.0
it could be the same componnet if my heritage use ftdna chip and refrence
or just an amazing fortuity:)

JJBoogie
06-11-2017, 11:47 PM

Right? Lol

crossover
06-13-2017, 06:24 AM
well my grandpa's uncle got 50% central american on myheritage but on ancestry gets 32% native american

JJBoogie
06-15-2017, 04:32 PM
well my grandpa's uncle got 50% central american on myheritage but on ancestry gets 32% native american

I've heard of other folks with similar issues regarding Native American DNA.

wombatofthenorth
06-17-2017, 03:37 AM
1) Underestimates Iberian ancestry and a lot of it goes into both Italian/Greek and British or Irish
3) Inflates Ashkenazi Jewish ancestry for southern Italians
4) Sucks a lot of SSA into "North African" for people who are also part Southern European, even if the SSA is genuine

From the few Baltic results I have seen it (Ancestry) also fails to separate Baltic German/Scandinavian/UK from Eastern European and it seems to way overdo Finnish and Siberian (even more than Geno 2.0 NG/MyOrigins 1.0 which are supposed to look much farther back and where it may make more sense). Geno 2.0 NG/MyOrigins 1.0 were not so good at that either. MyOrigins 2.0 is even worse at that.
MyHeritage seems random mixed, mostly not so good, but sometimes partly good (at times give correct non-Esatern European % but may assign it to mostly suspect other areas, like my dad got 13%+ Irish and 1.4% North African which seems suspect. Some should be FInnish, maybe 2%, and some would more likely be German, Slovakian/Romanian/western Ukrainian/Hungarian-ish and probably only a smaller bit Irish and probably no North African.
For my mom and some others it totally misses Baltic German/Scandinavian entirely and just calls it all Baltic (in fact it scores my mom as 100.0% Baltic) also misses her touch Oceanian.

Geno 2.0 original seemed to do very well with the basic ancient components.
23 seems to do pretty well for European area stuff and seems to be the only commercial company that can currently and seemingly pretty consistently pick out Baltic German/Scandinavian from Baltic (although it can smooth and wash away some far away stuff and just call it whatever your main ancestry is if a lot of it surrounds the segment).

wombatofthenorth
06-17-2017, 03:39 AM

which company's test doesn't though? there are too many shared patterns in the UK and Germany area

Rach_27
06-19-2017, 01:15 AM

Your oracle results are very similar to mine. Maybe we are related? My Gedmatch kit number is A175143 if you want to check.. :)

Tomenable
06-19-2017, 02:08 AM
which company's test doesn't though? there are too many shared patterns in the UK and Germany area

"West European" in Ancestry can be German or French.

"Scandinavian" in FTDNA can be Scandinavian or German.

I know a person who got 10% "West European" in Ancestry and 10% "Scandinavian" in FTDNA. And she is 6.25% West German according to paper trial.

23andMe failed to notice her German, as it underestimates minor ancestries:

http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?4576-Do-you-trust-23andme-s-Ancestry-Composition-or-GEDmatch-calculators-more&p=145261&viewfull=1#post145261

I'm not sure why some people think that 23andMe is better than other tests.

I also saw a case of someone who got "70% Unassigned" in 23andMe...

wombatofthenorth
06-19-2017, 07:11 AM
"West European" in Ancestry can be German or French.

"Scandinavian" in FTDNA can be Scandinavian or German.

I know a person who got 10% "West European" in Ancestry and 10% "Scandinavian" in FTDNA. And she is 6.25% West German according to paper trial.

23andMe failed to notice her German, as it underestimates minor ancestries:

http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?4576-Do-you-trust-23andme-s-Ancestry-Composition-or-GEDmatch-calculators-more&p=145261&viewfull=1#post145261

I'm not sure why some people think that 23andMe is better than other tests.

I also saw a case of someone who got "70% Unassigned" in 23andMe...

Don't forget to count Broadly Northwestern European as potential German for people with German backgrounds.

From all I have seen 23 is the only one of them that can pick out German, UK, Scandinavian for Baltic people correctly a fair amount of the time and not just call it all Eastern European (or do a sometimes it can, sometimes it can't and even when it can it might all call it one odd component from Europe like MyHeritage) of the current commercial tests. And does it mix up UK and Germany and Scandinavia a bit? Sure. But they all do. But at least 23 seems to do it in a more stable fashion than MyOrigins 2.0 which can be very random about it. And if it is stable you can at least try to read ratios into it (so long as you know enough to suspect ancestry largely from one region, of course not everyone knows this and then it's tricky, but it's tricky with all of the tests then other than for the old Geno 2.0 using ancient basic components).

And just looking over tons of comparison threads at 23 it seems like it does tend to match extensive family tree for Europeans the best and with the most detail (that said I do believe it does wash away minor segments of distant ancestry at times for sure and sometimes that washes away clues or interesting things).

wombatofthenorth
06-19-2017, 07:14 AM
I mean what do probably 75%+ of Latvians get with MyOrigins 2.0 - 100% Eastern European. Not very informative and this even when some are 50% Baltic German or 8% Baltic German and other.
In fact with MyOrigins 2.0 now even many non-Baltic Eastern Europeans can get 100% so it doesn't even help to differentiate across the huge Eastern European region the way Geno 2.0 NG/MyOrigins 1.0 did.