PDA

View Full Version : Which counties are in which subregions?

kbella
06-07-2017, 10:16 PM
Just received my LDNA results today - a month prior to ETA, which was nice.

I've been trying to compare the results map - very poor, IMHO - with maps showing counties in the BI, but it's pretty iffy. I've also tried reading the descriptions of the regions to try to decipher the areas covered. For instance, what counties are in Central England?

Does anyone know if there is a list of descriptions available?

From what I can see in my results compared to my paper trail, I am pleased and look forward to the expansion of the results and database. My mother is Scots/Ulster Irish/Manx and my dad's ancestors are mostly from the south/west of England, EXCEPT for his surname ancestor. I took the test to see if I could get clues where to look for the TEFFT surname - no confirmed male descendants available for testing.

Also, this is the only forum I could find covering Living DNA -are there any others? Not that the company here is not desirable!

Thanks!

sktibo
06-07-2017, 10:41 PM
Just received my LDNA results today - a month prior to ETA, which was nice.

I've been trying to compare the results map - very poor, IMHO - with maps showing counties in the BI, but it's pretty iffy. I've also tried reading the descriptions of the regions to try to decipher the areas covered. For instance, what counties are in Central England?

Does anyone know if there is a list of descriptions available?

From what I can see in my results compared to my paper trail, I am pleased and look forward to the expansion of the results and database. My mother is Scots/Ulster Irish/Manx and my dad's ancestors are mostly from the south/west of England, EXCEPT for his surname ancestor. I took the test to see if I could get clues where to look for the TEFFT surname - no confirmed male descendants available for testing.

Also, this is the only forum I could find covering Living DNA -are there any others? Not that the company here is not desirable!

Thanks!

there's a list available on their website. https://www.livingdna.com/en-ca/uk-regional-breakdown

You should post your results and include your paper trail for comparison in the results section

kbella
06-07-2017, 11:04 PM
Thank you! I followed the breadcrumbs in your link and could only get to the Family Ancestry portion on the US site. They really make you dig for the info! I'll need to figure the percentages on my ancestry.

Thanks again.
Kathleen

sktibo
06-07-2017, 11:15 PM
Thank you! I followed the breadcrumbs in your link and could only get to the Family Ancestry portion on the US site. They really make you dig for the info! I'll need to figure the percentages on my ancestry.

Thanks again.
Kathleen

no problem, try Google searching for living DNA uk regional breakdown or something like that. the page I'm trying to link you to is one where it has a description of each British region they offer and at the bottom it tells you approximately which counties they represent

timberwolf
06-07-2017, 11:33 PM
Hi Kbella

This may be useful for you. This is from Blog site I found a while ago.

Sub-region Approximate counties
Aberdeenshire Aberdeenshire, Angus, Fife, Moray areas
Central England Warwickshire/Bedfordshire/Leicestershire/Nottinghamshire/Derbyshire, Northamptonshire/ Staffordshire areas
Cornwall
Cumbria Cumbria, Dumfries and Galloway areas
Devon
East Anglia Norfolk/Suffolk/Cambrigeshire/Essex areas
Ireland
Lincolnshire Lincolnshire/Nottinghamshire areas
North Wales Powys/Ceredigion/Gwynedd/Conwy/Anglesey/Wrexham areas
North Yorkshire North Yorkshire/East Riding of Yorkshire areas
Northwest England Lancashire/Merseyside/Cheshire/Staffordshire areas
Northwest Scotland Highland/Argyll and Bute/Stirling/Perth and Kinross areas
Northumbria Northumberland/Tyne and Wear/Durham/Scottish Borders/Fife areas
Orkney Islands
South Central England Somerset/Wiltshire/Oxfordshire/Berkshire/Gloucestershire/Warwickshire areas
Southeast England Surrey/Sussex/Kent/London/Hertfordshire/Essex
South England Dorset/Wiltshire/Hampshire and surrounding areas
SW Scotland and Nrn Ireland Northern Ireland/Dumfries and Galloway/Ayrshire/Lanarkshire and surrounding areas
South Wales Border Herefordshire/Worcestershire/Shropshire/W Midlands and surrounding areas
South Wales Pembrokeshire/Carmarthenshire/South Powys/Swansea/Glamorgan/Monmouthshire areas
South Yorkshire South Yorkshire/West Yorkshire areas

sktibo
06-07-2017, 11:57 PM
timberwolf has posted what i was trying to link you to

kbella
06-08-2017, 12:29 AM
Thanks, timberwolf! That's better than my scribbled notes. The link from sktibo did work, but I couldn't find the same thing on the US site.

K