PDA

View Full Version : Ancestry DNA-Mexican(high Italy/Greece)

nreyes124
06-13-2017, 10:38 PM
Here's my Ancestry DNA results:
Africa North 4%
Mali 1%
Senegal <1%

Asia Central <1%

Italy/Greece 23%
Iberian Peninsula 13%
Ireland 7%
Europe West 2%
Great Britain 2%
European Jewish 1%
Scandinavian 1%

Native American 42%

Polynesia <1%

Caucasus <1%

I am 4th-6th generation Mexican completely from Tamaulipas. All generations before that lived in Texas. I also know of some of my ancestors living in Southern Spain and I've heard also from either Italy or Syria. On WeGene , I got up to 19% Balkan and 6-10% Sardinian Italian. I was also surprised about not getting Middle Eastern or Asia South as many people say I look Middle Eastern and Pakistani. The Greek would make sense as I've mainly been told I look Greek as well. If anyone has any information please let me know. Thanks!

Luis
06-13-2017, 11:01 PM
You should consider the Italy-Greece designation as part of your Spanish ancestry. People from the Iberian Peninsula not only show "Iberian", but Italy-Greece, Northern Europe etc.

crossover
06-15-2017, 06:39 AM
Here's my Ancestry DNA results:
Africa North 4%
Mali 1%
Senegal <1%

Asia Central <1%

Italy/Greece 23%
Iberian Peninsula 13%
Ireland 7%
Europe West 2%
Great Britain 2%
European Jewish 1%
Scandinavian 1%

Native American 42%

Polynesia <1%

Caucasus <1%

I am 4th-6th generation Mexican completely from Tamaulipas. All generations before that lived in Texas. I also know of some of my ancestors living in Southern Spain and I've heard also from either Italy or Syria. On WeGene , I got up to 19% Balkan and 6-10% Sardinian Italian. I was also surprised about not getting Middle Eastern or Asia South as many people say I look Middle Eastern and Pakistani. The Greek would make sense as I've mainly been told I look Greek as well. If anyone has any information please let me know. Thanks!

my grandpa's half bro(same mom different dad, who is also mexican like my grandpa) got high italy/greece and low west asian/middle eastern unlike my grandpa. not sure if that's due to the fact they have different father or some of my grandpa's half bro's dna labeled as italy/greece is actually middle eastern in origin

Kabah
06-15-2017, 08:04 AM
Nice the Italian/Greek and Irish come from within the Spaniards unless you have a ancester from those you regions you may be aware of.

geebee
06-15-2017, 10:59 AM
I really urge anyone with results from Ancestry to go beyond looking at just their "scores". These represent the average for each ancestry over 40 runs, but that doesn't mean it's necessarily the best number. Consider also the range.

But more than that, be sure to take a look at the "details" for each ancestry. For example, my highest score (44%) is for Europe West. When I click on "See Details" (which appears when I click on the ancestry), I see a page which gives some important information about this category.

Specifically, I find that it is "primarily located in Belgium, France, Germany, Netherlands, Switzerland, Luxembourg, Liechtenstein". So essentially, this looks like what 23andMe would label "French & German". However, the description also notes that it is "also found in England, Denmark, Italy, Slovenia, Czech Republic".

In other words, I can't rule out one or more of these places as also contributing to my Europe West score. The problem is, the regions overlap. There's not some magical dividing line where on one side you have one ancestry, and on the other side you have a completely different ancestry. Not only were people able to cross borders, sometimes borders ended up crossing people.

For example, my maternal grandmother's maternal grandmother immigrated with her parents from Alsace-Lorraine. This was in the first half of the 19th century, when she was just a toddler. Now, was she French? Or was she German? The region has gone back and forth between both countries, and now the place where my 2nd great grandmother was born is part of France. But it appears that my 2nd great grandmother's first language was actually German. (Of course, ancestry and language are two different things.)

Once you've clicked on "See Details" and gone to the explanatory page for whatever ancestry you're interested in, it's also very illuminating to click on "Genetic Diversity". This will show you how you compare to a "typical native" of the region.

Looking at Europe West again, I see that the "typical native" of the Europe West region actually shows far less than 100% of this component. In fact, only 48% -- which is not really so much higher than my own score of 44%. What's more, even the range of scores for the "typical Native" didn't reach as high as 100%. Interestingly, my lowest score was lower than the bottom of this range; but my highest score was also higher than the top of this range.

Now, when you read further you'll see some examples taken from their sample for the region, which for Europe West consists of 416 people. Out of the five examples show, there actually is one which is 100% Europe West. But there's another which is 0.

Lastly, there's a section which is labeled "Other regions commonly seen in people native to the Europe West region". From this we can see than just over half of those in Ancestry's the sample population for Europe West(52%) have some percentage of Great Britain. We don't know precisely how much, on average, but just that they have some.

By the same token, if we looked at the same page for Great Britain, we'd find that 49% of Ancestry's "collection of 195 people" [native to the Great Britain region] have some amount of the Europe West component. This is a bit less than the percentage who have Ireland as one of their ancestral regions, which is 55%; but obviously there are going to be quite a few folks who have both Ireland and Europe West among their ancestral components.

So don't just look at the page that lists your ancestral components and take that as the final word. Look at the ranges and the information pages, and consider how much sense any or all of this makes in light of what you already know. If you don't know anything, unfortunately what Ancestry can tell you won't be everything you need to know. It has to be taken in context.

sweuro
06-15-2017, 12:57 PM
The average on AncestryDNA for spaniards is :

56.0% Iberian Peninsula
22% Italy/Greece
2% Great Britain
1% Ireland
1% North-African

Isidro
06-15-2017, 01:39 PM
There is quite a variation within Spaniards, I am not sure the accuracy of the results in general for Iberians, I guess like all autosomal studies, it all boils down with the source database and how it is interpreted.
I balded my results as a comparison, in other testing companies I fall more into Iberian averages that Ancestry DNA.

The average on AncestryDNA for spaniards is :

56.0% Iberian Peninsula 68%
22% Italy/Greece 7%
2% Great Britain 4%
1% Ireland 1%
1% North-African <1%

sweuro
06-15-2017, 01:54 PM
There is quite a variation within Spaniards, I am not sure the accuracy of the results in general for Iberians, I guess like all autosomal studies, it all boils down with the source database and how it is interpreted.
I balded my results as a comparison, in other testing companies I fall more into Iberian averages that Ancestry DNA.
you are aragonese, and thus more basque shifted. the Iberian component of AncestryDNA is Basque related, so northern spaniards tend to have higher scores. The average for French Basques is 100% Iberian Peninsula.

Isidro
06-15-2017, 04:21 PM
You are correct about 100% Iberian in Basques which are modeled as mostly in it's entirety EEF with some WHG. There is the Steppe component tha Lalueza puts at 20%? I wonder if it's an indirect component coming from N Europe. The mystery remains CHG, in my results at Ancestry DNA for Caucasian is less than 1% which I find an unresolved issue.
[ QUOTE=sweuro;247102]you are aragonese, and thus more basque shifted. the Iberian component of AncestryDNA is Basque related, so northern spaniards tend to have higher scores. The average for French Basques is 100% Iberian Peninsula.[/QUOTE]

Claudio
06-15-2017, 08:23 PM
You are correct about 100% Iberian in Basques which are modeled as mostly in it's entirety EEF with some WHG. There is the Steppe component tha Lalueza puts at 20%? I wonder if it's an indirect component coming from N Europe. The mystery remains CHG, in my results at Ancestry DNA for Caucasian is less than 1% which I find an unresolved issue.
[ QUOTE=sweuro;247102]you are aragonese, and thus more basque shifted. the Iberian component of AncestryDNA is Basque related, so northern spaniards tend to have higher scores. The average for French Basques is 100% Iberian Peninsula.[/QUOTE]

On the subject of Iberian DNA..
My mother is English..
On AncestryDNA she has :
22% British
53% West European
5% Irish
10% Ashkenazi Jewish
And 8% Iberian
The Iberian is a mystery?
We have traced back all the ancestry on paper and all the ethnicities are accounted for!
But No Spaniard or a Portuguese?
Her Ashkenazi comes from London.Her mothers,mothers,father being Jewish then going back to his Jewish parents to 1780,
In 1780 the Jewish population of London was not dominated by Ashkenazi as it later became in the 18/1900's and was both Sephardic and Ashkenazi.. We hypothesized that her 8% Iberian may be due to an earlier relation 1600's maybe)being Spanish Sephardic Jewish? Could there be an other explanation? Is there not some link between Iberian and British Celtic that could be the explanation or is 8% to high and more likely this hypothesized Sephardic Jewish as mentioned earlier?
I hear FTDNA test for separdic?
Worth me uploading her AncestryDNA data?

Isidro
06-15-2017, 11:26 PM
Claudio,
Sephardic dna as far as I know, has always been a problem identifying it.I don't know if there are databases as references, Sepharads have been mixing and not isolated or gone through a bottle neck like Ashkenazi. There might be a chance also some Sephardic was in the Ashkenazi founders pool.

I do expect Sephardic is in the Iberian component. In autosomal studies; as is difficult to detect we don't know. Admixtures are complicated for me to make sense, somehow results look too "perfect", especially if we add the time, location and culture factors.
. I do understand the science and math behind it is solid but sometimes I wonder at what we are looking at, how traces of DNA are treated within a larger blocks and how those large blocks are within one of the 3 largest main components of someone and the value % given at each stage is mind blowing.

I would trust more the results you will find at Gedmatch than FTDNA.

My mother is English..
On AncestryDNA she has :
22% British
53% West European
5% Irish
10% Ashkenazi Jewish
And 8% Iberian
We have traced back all the ancestry on paper and all the ethnicities are accounted for!
Her Ashkenazi comes from London.Her mothers,mothers,father being Jewish then going back to his Jewish parents to 1780,
In 1780 the Jewish population was not dominated by Ashkenazi as it later became in the 18/1900's and was both Sephardic and Ashkenazi.. We hypothesized that her 8% Iberian may be due to an earlier relation 1600's maybe)being Spanish Sephardic Jewish? Could there be an other explanation? Is there not some link between Iberian and British Celtic that could be the explanation or is 8% to high and more likely this hypothesized Sephardic Jewish as mentioned earlier?
Worth me uploading her AncestryDNA data?[/QUOTE]

Targum
06-15-2017, 11:36 PM
All true but as I have posted before Sefaradi and Ashkenazi heavily overlap, they (+ SYJ ) all derive from same two seed populations, Italqim and Romaniot, the Jews who came to Greece and Italy from Israel in Hellenistic and Roman times and developed into Western Jews. Ashkenazim picked up some minor E. Europe and minor Chinese (no Povich and Zuckerberg by far were not the first lol ), and Sefaradim picked up minor Iberian and N. African, in addition to N. African already shared with Ashkenazim. This is why Sefaradim all score Ashkenazi on calculators. Also there was much later exchange, as Kevin Brook has well documented.

http://www.khazaria.com/sephardim-cnpoland.html

sweuro
06-16-2017, 12:07 AM
My mother is English..
On AncestryDNA she has :
22% British
53% West European
5% Irish
10% Ashkenazi Jewish
And 8% Iberian
In 1780 the Jewish population was not dominated by Ashkenazi as it later became in the 18/1900's and was both Sephardic and Ashkenazi.. We hypothesized that her 8% Iberian may be due to an earlier relation 1600's maybe)being Spanish Sephardic Jewish? Could there be an other explanation? Is there not some link between Iberian and British Celtic that could be the explanation or is 8% to high and more likely this hypothesized Sephardic Jewish as mentioned earlier?
Worth me uploading her AncestryDNA data?
Many western-europeans score Iberian peninsula, because there is some degree of genetic overlap (probably from Neolithic times or the Atlantic Bronze Age). Also the English received some french invasions (normans) and french people score some Iberian. The Iberian here has nothing to do with Sephardics :
1) this Iberian component is very Basque -related (Basques score 100% Iberian) and Spanairds score on average 56% and French score 14%
2) Jews already have their own component
3) Iberians and Sephardics are totally different ethnicities, just like Poles and Ashkenazies. It's common for Sephardics i've seen on 23andMe that score 0% Iberian. And the other way around also, the spanish average on AncestryDNA is 0% Jewish.

Claudio
06-16-2017, 10:28 AM
Many western-europeans score Iberian peninsula, because there is some degree of genetic overlap (probably from Neolithic times or the Atlantic Bronze Age). Also the English received some french invasions (normans) and french people score some Iberian. The Iberian here has nothing to do with Sephardics :
1) this Iberian component is very Basque -related (Basques score 100% Iberian) and Spanairds score on average 56% and French score 14%
3) Iberians and Sephardics are totally different ethnicities, just like Poles and Ashkenazies. It's common for Sephardics i've seen on 23andMe that score 0% Iberian. And the other way around also, the spanish average on AncestryDNA is 0% Jewish.

I Agree you might be right.. originally we put the iberian down to my mothers high 53%West European..
a poster on another thread mentioned FTDNA Do actually test and have an ethinicity catergory for Separdic,do you know if this is true?
if so i might as well upload my data to confirm or rule out Separdic?

Targum
06-16-2017, 02:17 PM
"3) Iberians and Sephardics are totally different ethnicities, just like Poles and Ashkenazies. It's common for Sephardics i've seen on 23andMe that score 0% Iberian. And the other way around also, the spanish average on AncestryDNA is 0% Jewish."

Very well stated

Claudio
06-17-2017, 04:15 PM

Just got my mothers results from FTDNA..
No Separdic!
8% Ashkenazi
And now a whopping 25% Iberian!?
Is it possible for my mother to have 25% Iberian ancestry without having a direct Iberian ancestor? Or should my mother start asking her family questions? lol

ArmandoR1b
06-17-2017, 09:19 PM
Just got my mothers results from FTDNA..
No Separdic!
8% Ashkenazi
And now a whopping 25% Iberian!?
Is it possible for my mother to have 25% Iberian ancestry without having a direct Iberian ancestor? Or should my mother start asking her family questions? lol

AncestryDNA and FTDNA myOrigins do not accurately detect Iberian DNA. Both of them assign too much to some people that don't really have Iberian ancestry and too little to some people that do have Iberian ancestry. 23andme is the only company that I have seen to provide an amount that more closely matches documented ancestry in Spaniards, Portuguese, Basques, other Europeans, and Latin Americans.

Claudio
06-17-2017, 09:49 PM
AncestryDNA and FTDNA myOrigins do not accurately detect Iberian DNA. Both of them assign too much to some people that don't really have Iberian ancestry and too little to some people that do have Iberian ancestry. 23andme is the only company that I have seen to provide an amount that more closely matches documented ancestry in Spaniards, Portuguese, Basques, other Europeans, and Latin Americans.

What companies results do you think are most correct in general when assigning ethnicity percentages?

ArmandoR1b
06-17-2017, 10:11 PM
What companies results do you think are most correct in general when assigning ethnicity percentages?

23andme

Claudio
06-17-2017, 11:08 PM

23andme

Good🙂
I am awaiting there results.