PDA

View Full Version : rs17822931 in Non-Asian Populations, Where Could It Have Come From?

rockman
06-15-2017, 06:17 PM
Another result I got from Promethease:

rs17822931(T;T)
Dry earwax. No body odour. Likely Asian ancestry. Reduced colostrum. This is what causes most Asians to have dry flaky earwax instead of wet earwax. It is also what causes Asians to not have body odour and not need to use deodorant. It suggests Asian ancestry, although it can also occur in white people. Unfortunately it also reduces or prevents the production of colostrum when breast feeding.

I find this interesting as I never use deoderant and still have bottles laying around for like the past 5 years not used. Same with the earwax, it's dry and not wet like others. My parents also have the same gene.

It seems to be almost non-existant in non-east asians with Gujuratis coming close in at 16.8% (although we have no association with Gujurat from either side).

Any theories on how this is pravalent on both sides of my family (my parents are not in any way related as per FTDNA results).

fished
06-15-2017, 11:33 PM
I don't think it's especially surprising given your South Asian background. Plenty of opportunities over history for East Asian ancestry to trickle in and have slight influences in certain gene frequencies. I don't know your specific background, but given the Bangladeshi flag on your profile I feel I should point out that Bangladeshis often score minor Southeast Asian ancestry, which makes sense from a geographic perspective.

Also, if this gene reaches a frequency of 16.8% in Gujarat in Northwest India, I would imagine it probably appears with similar frequency throughout the subcontinent. 16.8% may be a minority, but it's certainly not a negligible percentage.

Varun R
06-16-2017, 01:58 AM
South Indians appear to have the derived variant at frequencies similar to or greater than Bengalis, per ALFRED. It's possible that the derived variant doesn't have anything to do with recent Tibeto-Burman or Austroasiatic ancestry.

rockman
06-16-2017, 04:52 AM
I don't think it's especially surprising given your South Asian background. Plenty of opportunities over history for East Asian ancestry to trickle in and have slight influences in certain gene frequencies. I don't know your specific background, but given the Bangladeshi flag on your profile I feel I should point out that Bangladeshis often score minor Southeast Asian ancestry, which makes sense from a geographic perspective.

Also, if this gene reaches a frequency of 16.8% in Gujarat in Northwest India, I would imagine it probably appears with similar frequency throughout the subcontinent. 16.8% may be a minority, but it's certainly not a negligible percentage.

My ancestry is more Bengali/Persian maternally and North Indian (UP)/Persian/Central Asian on my fathers side. I can't imagine this gene existing among Persians and most Indians to be honest. Bengali is more believable given their closeness to East Asians but North Indians would be rather slim (and rather diluted in me).

fished
06-17-2017, 04:27 AM
My ancestry is more Bengali/Persian maternally and North Indian (UP)/Persian/Central Asian on my fathers side. I can't imagine this gene existing among Persians and most Indians to be honest. Bengali is more believable given their closeness to East Asians but North Indians would be rather slim (and rather diluted in me).

Well, given what you say, I think it's fair to guess that on your maternal side it comes from the Bengali part, and on your paternal side it might be from the Central Asian part.

rockman
06-17-2017, 05:56 AM
Well, given what you say, I think it's fair to guess that on your maternal side it comes from the Bengali part, and on your paternal side it might be from the Central Asian part.

Hmm might be, but even the Central Asian is very diluted, far more than the Indian and Persian.