PDA

View Full Version : Jewish East Asians

mrjohn
06-22-2017, 06:54 PM
Does anyone know why Ashkenazi Jews score small amounts of Yakut/East Asian on 23 and me? Is it related to the Khazars or is there a more recent admixture that took place in Russia/Ukraine?

mrjohn
06-24-2017, 11:33 PM
Anyone?

shirshine
06-26-2017, 05:47 PM
The existence of some eastern Eurasian haplotypes in eastern Ashkenazi Jews supports an East Asian genetic contribution, likely from Chinese. Further evidence indicates that this connection can be attributed to a gene flow event that occurred less than 1.4 kilo-years ago (kya), which falls within the time frame of the Silk Road scenario and fits well with historical records and archaeological discoveries. This observed genetic contribution from Chinese to Ashkenazi Jews demonstrates that the historical exchange between Ashkenazim and the Far East was not confined to the cultural sphere but also extended to an exchange of genes.
From "A genetic contribution from the Far East into Ashkenazi Jews via the ancient Silk Road" (can't figure out how to embed links).

Oleg (Rus)
06-26-2017, 05:50 PM
I saw only noise level and not in all A. Jews, nothing serious East Asian (IMO).

Cornella
06-26-2017, 06:33 PM
Small amounts of East Asian ancestry is normal for West Eurasians outside of Western Europe (and North Africa).

Cinnamon orange
06-27-2017, 09:24 AM
I think the surname Kagan comes from Khazar. I imagine some east European Jews have Asian ancestry in small amounts but not all. Minor ancestry for Ashkenazi people on 23andme is outside the Ashkenazi category. Sometimes people get Scandinavian, Asian or other groups.

Agamemnon
07-08-2017, 10:38 PM
I think the surname Kagan comes from Khazar. I imagine some east European Jews have Asian ancestry in small amounts but not all. Minor ancestry for Ashkenazi people on 23andme is outside the Ashkenazi category. Sometimes people get Scandinavian, Asian or other groups.

"Kagan" is just "Kahan" (the Aramaic equivalent of Kohen) really. /h/ is often transliterated with the cyrillic Ge (Г) into Russian and Ukrainian, for instance "Hitler" is spelled Гитлер in Russian and Гітлер in Ukrainian. In both cases, what you're seeing is "Gitler", however everyone knows how this is meant to be pronounced. Not so much with Kahan, which is how "Kagan" replaced "Kahan".

greerpalmer
07-13-2017, 09:55 PM
Does anyone know why Ashkenazi Jews score small amounts of Yakut/East Asian on 23 and me? Is it related to the Khazars or is there a more recent admixture that took place in Russia/Ukraine?

When you say "small amount" you mean >5%, >2%, >1%? In general, it is not uncommon for Eastern Europeans to have trace East Asian. Whether its from Han influence, common trade routes or even the Golden Horde, I would assume it is fairly ancient and passed down through multiple lines in small amounts.

Tz85
07-14-2017, 12:06 AM
When you say "small amount" you mean >5%, >2%, >1%? In general, it is not uncommon for Eastern Europeans to have trace East Asian. Whether its from Han influence, common trade routes or even the Golden Horde, I would assume it is fairly ancient and passed down through multiple lines in small amounts.

Like .5% more likely.

Claudio
07-18-2017, 04:37 PM

Go to google.. type in "Radhanite Jews" this more or less explains it.. Silk Road merchants.. back and forth East to West/West to East for centuries.. I here they even setup some synagogues in north China on there travels..