PDA

View Full Version : DNA land: Mediterranean islander??

Claudio
06-24-2017, 07:40 PM
So I see on DNA land they have an ethnicity labeled: 'Ashkenazi/Levantine'
Which then further divides into:
:'Ashkenazi'
And
:'Mediterranean islander'
Which encompasses (Sicily,Malta,and Cyprus)?!
Odd grouping?
Something to do with underlying Levantine Ancestry amongst the islanders and such?

Nibelung
06-24-2017, 08:17 PM
I didn't know that. For me it shows no such division/grouping that I can find anywhere, while I do get 4.6% Mediterranean islander.

JerryS.
06-24-2017, 09:54 PM
I wonder why Crete is not included in this group?

Claudio
06-24-2017, 10:02 PM
I wonder why Crete is not included in this group?

I wonder?🤔

Claudio
06-24-2017, 10:22 PM
I didn't know that. For me it shows no such division/grouping that I can find anywhere, while I do get 4.6% Mediterranean islander.

Uploaded my AncestryDNA data today..
And For instance some of my results came back as such: 36% 'Southern European' but was then divided into two sub groups of:
21% 'South Central European' (Italy)
And
15% 'Balkan' (Greece,Albania,Bulgaria
And then there was:
16% 'Ashkenazi/Levantine'
But then also divided into Two sub groups of:
2.9% Ashkenazi' (European Jewish)
And
13% 'Mediterranean islander' (Sicily,Malta,Cyprus)
Maybe DNA land have recently changed up some categories? I dunno?
I just thought there might of been some sort of levantine link as levantine was mentioned and European Jews are ancestorally levantine in origin and I have heard mention that Sicily and some med Islands have a lot of levantine Middle Eastern ancestry? Maybe that's why they grouped them together?
Who knows??

Nibelung
06-25-2017, 11:04 PM
Guess so. I'm still not clear on Phoenician vs Jewish percentages here and there, wherever possibly found. Both I have no problem with, but if the topic came up more often it would help. Do you suppose some of this Levantine-like ancestry could be even more ancient, for example related to the Neolithic culture of Malta? I have no idea where that's thought to come from.

Nibelung
06-25-2017, 11:54 PM
Feeling a little stupid now. Apparently the Neolithic Maltese had some connection to Sicily (pottery) and possibly Iberia too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malta

After dying out it would seem, they were then replaced by (another) population from Sicily in the Bronze Age.

Sorry for taking this off-topic.

Saba123
06-26-2017, 12:43 AM
I made a thread about Mediterranean Islander category on DNAland as well. I find it very confusing because I see people with European and Middle Eastern heritage getting significant amounts of Mediterranean Islander. I personally got 29% Mediterranean Islander and I have no known heritage from Malta/Cyprus/Sicily. But I think I would get it from the Cyprus.

Claudio
06-26-2017, 08:47 AM
I made a thread about Mediterranean Islander category on DNAland as well. I find it very confusing because I see people with European and Middle Eastern heritage getting significant amounts of Mediterranean Islander. I personally got 29% Mediterranean Islander and I have no known heritage from Malta/Cyprus/Sicily. But I think I would get it from the Cyprus.

I think it's a bit stupid as well 🤔
According to Wikipedia Malta was part of the The 300 year Arab Empire of Sicily for Just as long..
So most of that Middle Eastern DNA is going to be from then.. they would of been better in scrapping this grouping and just dividing the percentages into each persons Middle Eastern and Italian etc.. 🤔

BTW.. I just found and commented on your older thread.

AJL
06-26-2017, 04:36 PM
Thread moved to DNA.Land forum. Do not clutter up General with things that don't belong there, Claudio, this is the second such instance in a brief time.

Claudio
06-26-2017, 07:21 PM
Thread moved to DNA.Land forum. Do not clutter up General with things that don't belong there, Claudio, this is the second such instance in a brief time.

I do apologize.. won't happen again 👍

AJL
06-26-2017, 07:56 PM
That's okay, people do have a habit of using General and it's not just you, as long we all try to keep it for its intended purpose.

alexfritz
07-05-2017, 11:40 PM
I dont consider it an 'odd grouping' at all,
in all PCA-plots there is such a cluster of Sicilians, Cypriots, Maltese, Ashkenazi and Turkish Jews (Sephardic) in further PCA-plots this cluster also includes Greek-Islanders (Crete) and South Italians; somewhat like a bridge between South Europe and the Near East;
Sarno et al 2017 features a close look at that cluster; The way i understand it is that DNA.LAND has this cluster as Ashkenazi/Levantine and chops it into Ashkenazi and Mediterranean Islander; The names already give it away 'Mediterranean' and 'Levantine' i.e. an east mediterranean cluster;

Bobby Martnen
09-24-2017, 11:58 PM
I dont consider it an 'odd grouping' at all,
in all PCA-plots there is such a cluster of Sicilians, Cypriots, Maltese, Ashkenazi and Turkish Jews (Sephardic) in further PCA-plots this cluster also includes Greek-Islanders (Crete) and South Italians; somewhat like a bridge between South Europe and the Near East;
Sarno et al 2017 features a close look at that cluster; The way i understand it is that DNA.LAND has this cluster as Ashkenazi/Levantine and chops it into Ashkenazi and Mediterranean Islander; The names already give it away 'Mediterranean' and 'Levantine' i.e. an east mediterranean cluster;

Sicilians, Ashkenazim, and Cypriots are all South Euro/Levant mixes to various degrees. (about 15% Levant and 85% Euro in Sicilians, about half and half in Ashkenazim)