PDA

View Full Version : R-S3262?

atomman695
06-27-2017, 06:08 AM
What is the origin of this haplogroup?

It is located downstream of R-Z9 and R-Z344 (Z9>Z30>Z2>Z7>Z8>Z1>Z344>Z6>S18951>S3262).

I am trying to figure out where an ancestor in my family tree is originally from who carries this haplogroup. He was adopted and we have no idea of his origins. Would knowing this haplogroup provide enough insight into determining his origins?

Thanks

Wing Genealogist
06-27-2017, 11:14 AM
atomman695,

If you have done Y-DNA testing at Family Tree DNA, I would strongly encourage you to join the R-U106 Haplogroup Project https://www.familytreedna.com/public/U106 We also have an associated Yahoogroup where most of the discussion about U106 and its subclades takes place. Please PM (private message) me if you are interested in more information.

In addition, we do have a statistician (Dr. Iain McDonald) who is analyzing Big Y results and has several online reports, which can be found at: http://www.jb.man.ac.uk/~mcdonald/genetics.html

According to Iain's analysis work, S3262 dates back to roughly 152 AD with a 95% Confidence Interval (CI) of 437 BC — 657 AD.

Most S3262+ folks come from either England or Scotland, but it is entirely possible this is simply due to the strong bias due to the fact far more "British" folks have done extensive Y-DNA testing than "Continental" folks. Given the estimated age of S3262, it appears likely it pre-dates the Germanic "Anglo-Saxon" invasion of what we now call England. It is currently believed S3262 came to "the Isles" during this period (rather than being native since "birth").

I also happen to descend from Z6. As you stated you descend from S18951, which is the largest subclade of Z6. I descend from A96, which is quite a bit smaller. Recently a third branch of Z6 has been found, identified by the BY13881 clade. This clade is believed to be quite a bit smaller than even A96.

atomman695
01-20-2018, 12:09 PM
Wow. I totally forgot to check this thread. Thank you for your detailed response.

I'll give some more background into what I'm researching. This ancestor is not on my paternal line and lived three centuries ago (born around 1683) and lived in what is now Quebec, Canada. Based on some very convincing paper trail evidence (such as his baptismal record), we are very certain that he was an Indian captive from New England captured as a child during King William's War (1689-1697) and taken to New France. The priest as his baptism gave him the surname Aube, but we are not sure whether that is close to his original surname. We have been trying to find his original family (colonist ancestors) and birthplace.