PDA

View Full Version : Some DNA tribes info

Mixed
06-28-2017, 07:24 PM
I sent both my AncestryDNA file and a few days later my 23&me file thinking there would be some difference. There was none at all. So I wanted to provide that insight so others would not waste extra money doing so. That being said I felt this was the best test I have done.

http://dnatribes-snp.com/

sktibo
06-28-2017, 11:34 PM
I sent both my AncestryDNA file and a few days later my 23&me file thinking there would be some difference. There was none at all. So I wanted to provide that insight so others would not waste extra money doing so. That being said I felt this was the best test I have done.

How long did it take for you to get your results in?

Mixed
06-29-2017, 12:05 AM
How long did it take for you to get your results in?

One day. I strongly recommend it.

Tz85
06-29-2017, 01:29 AM

Totally agree. I sent my data, and my moms to dna tribes, and within 24 hours I had my results. Imo they are the most accurate, and the best value.

Tomenable
06-29-2017, 02:02 AM
I'm not sure if it is so accurate.

Tz85
06-29-2017, 02:27 AM

Was accurate for me.

Mixed
06-29-2017, 12:36 PM

Let me guess. You are not really Polish? :P

Tomenable
06-29-2017, 12:47 PM
Let me guess. You are not really Polish? :P

It's not really about me. My results are still quite accurate (although it gave me Czech and Slovak before Polish - but at least they are similar populations). However, CrazyDaisy (who is Ecuadorian and has confirmed Spanish, including Galician and Basque, ancestry) got 0% Iberian in DNA Tribes:

http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?213850-Crazydaisy-DNAtribes&p=4482201&viewfull=1#post4482201

K36 Oracle correctly gives her Spanish Galician as the main / most similar population. :)

But DNA Tribes still correctly identified Ecuador as her recent ancestral population.

============================

As for my results, here is a comparison between DNA Tribes and Tolan's K36 tool:

1) DNA Tribes (top 40 populations in Europe):

http://i.imgur.com/QU3Ubqj.png

2) Tolan's K36 tool (over 50% similarity rate):

http://i.imgur.com/82bbzno.png

According to DNA Tribes, most of their Polish samples are Eastern Poles. And this is why I didn't get Polish as my top match. Eastern Poles are indeed less North-Western genetically than Western Poles. This can also be seen in Tolan's K36 tool when I use Function B and exclude an eastern Polish population:

http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?11007-Polish-detailed-DNA-Tribes-SNP-results&p=249268&viewfull=1#post249268

3) Tolan's K36 (Function B, minus east Poles):

http://i.imgur.com/8RNb31T.png

Mixed
06-29-2017, 01:01 PM
It's not really about me. My results are still quite accurate (although it gave me Czech and Slovak before Polish - but at least they are similar populations). However, CrazyDaisy (who is Ecuadorian and has confirmed Spanish, including Galician and Basque, ancestry) got 0% Iberian in DNA Tribes:

http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?213850-Crazydaisy-DNAtribes&p=4482201&viewfull=1#post4482201

K36 Oracle correctly gives her Spanish Galician as the main / most similar population. :)

But DNA Tribes correctly identified Ecuador as her recent ancestral population.

============================

As for my results, here is a comparison between DNA Tribes and Tolan's K36 tool:

1) DNA Tribes (top 40 populations in Europe):

http://i.imgur.com/QU3Ubqj.png

2) Tolan's K36 tool (over 50% similarity rate):

http://i.imgur.com/82bbzno.png

According to DNA Tribes, most of their Polish samples are Eastern Poles. And this is why I didn't get Polish as my top match. Eastern Poles are indeed less North-Western genetically than Western Poles. This can also be seen in Tolan's K36 tool when I use Function B and exclude an eastern Polish population:

http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?11007-Polish-detailed-DNA-Tribes-SNP-results&p=249268&viewfull=1#post249268

3) Tolan's K36 (Function B, minus east Poles):

http://i.imgur.com/8RNb31T.png

I thought she got some good responses regarding that matter.

Tomenable
06-29-2017, 01:02 PM
My nickname there is Litvin so these are my responses, but I'm still quite confused. :)

I just tried to make sense of that.

But it correctly identified her Basque ancestry. And she has some German ancestry.

Tomenable
06-29-2017, 01:04 PM
Can you start a thread about your results and compare your paper trial with your results?

Mixed
06-29-2017, 01:08 PM
My nickname there is Litvin so these are my responses, but I'm still quite confused. :)

I just tried to make sense of that.

But it correctly identified her Basque ancestry. And she has some German ancestry.

My top 5 were Slovenia, Czech, Germany, Russia Voronezh, and Slovakia. Polish came in 9th. It identified my Irish and German. Also, caught my Italian.

Tomenable
06-29-2017, 01:11 PM
My top 5 were Slovenia, Czech, Germany, Russia Voronezh, and Slovakia. Polish came in 9th.

That seems accurate. How much of your ancestry is Polish?

Most of Polish-Americans are mixed with other ancestries:

http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?10347-(Unofficial)-oracle-for-Eurogenes-K36-256-reference-populations&p=251130&viewfull=1#post251130

http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?10347-(Unofficial)-oracle-for-Eurogenes-K36-256-reference-populations&p=251173&viewfull=1#post251173

K36 PCA:

https://s1.postimg.org/8mo2gf6a7/paq.jpg

Tomenable
06-29-2017, 01:17 PM
It identified my Irish and German. Also, caught my Italian.

In my case it caught my "Celtic" - I got Cornwall West Britain 10th:

http://i.imgur.com/0rWoH88.png
And interestingly my subclade of R1b is very common in Cornwall (but my branch is basal to Cornish branch - so it rather came from the east to Cornwall, not from Cornwall to Poland):

http://i.imgur.com/91eYtUe.png
It is common in Britain in general, but especially frequent in Cornwall.

Polish came in 9th. It identified my Irish and German. Also, caught my Italian.

What proportions of Polish/Irish/German/Italian do you have (based on paper trial)?

Tomenable
06-29-2017, 01:44 PM
I agree that it is quite accurate and inexpensive. Definitely worth trying.

I'm just not sure if it is super accurate.

Mixed
06-29-2017, 06:43 PM
I agree that it is quite accurate and inexpensive. Definitely worth trying.

I'm just not sure if it is super accurate.

It goes deeper than most other services.

Ancestry DNA has me like
30% Italian
20% East Europe
17% Great Britain
11% Ireland
6% West Europe

Mixed
06-29-2017, 10:00 PM
Can you start a thread about your results and compare your paper trial with your results?

Neither side of my family is close to form much of a paper trail. I know what two generations pretty much are. That is it. I also believe somewhere there was a affair or something because of some of my results.

Mixed
07-05-2017, 08:57 PM
Deleted

timberwolf
07-05-2017, 10:06 PM
I did this test a little over a year ago, when they released their last Update June 2016

In summary

I came out as 100 % European ( No surprise there)

For my top Regional Cluster Mixture

NW European 62.2
Baltic-North Slavic 17.9
Iberian 16.3
Plus three smaller admixtures Basque. Tibetan and Amazonian

Top !0 Population Matches
1 Argyll and Bute Scottish Highlands
2 Ireland
3 England
4 Netherlands
5 Cornwall West Britain
6 Sweden
7 European American
8 Orkney Islands Scotland
9 Belgium
10 Slovenia

I thought it was interesting how they presented their information. Not sold on the accuracy of their test however. But it is cheap and I did get my results within hours of payment. So their turn around time, is excellent.

It is interesting that the Scottish highlands came out as my number one match. I don't have any recorded Highland ancestry, however I did score 6.6 Highland ancestry with LDNA. So I am thinking perhaps I do have some ancestry from that part of the world, or at least there is a real possibility I do.

I would rather pay a small fee for something, that is at least partly accurate, as opposed to the complete rubbish I received from MyHeritage for free.

Mixed
07-05-2017, 10:23 PM
I did this test a little over a year ago, when they released their last Update June 2016

In summary

NW European 62.2
Baltic-North Slavic 17.9
Iberian 16.3

2 Ireland
3 England
4 Netherlands
5 Cornwall West Britain
6 Sweden
7 European American
9 Belgium
10 Slovenia

I thought it was interesting how they presented their information. Not sold on the accuracy of their test however. But it is cheap and I did get my results within hours of payment. So their turn around time, is excellent.

It is interesting that the Scottish highlands came out as my number one match. I don't have any recorded Highland ancestry, however I did score 6.6 Highland ancestry with LDNA. So I am thinking perhaps I do have some ancestry from that part of the world, or at least there is a real possibility I do.

I would rather pay a small fee for something, that is at least partly accurate, as opposed to the complete rubbish I received from MyHeritage for free.

How many of your population matches were red? That is significant. Your fifth ranked population is as significant as your first place if the top five are red. That is my situation.

timberwolf
07-05-2017, 10:32 PM
The top five are red. The only outlier is the Netherlands, I have no Dutch ancestry.

The other four are reasonable matches.

sktibo
07-06-2017, 01:15 AM

In summary

NW European 62.2
Baltic-North Slavic 17.9
Iberian 16.3

2 Ireland
3 England
4 Netherlands
5 Cornwall West Britain
6 Sweden
7 European American
9 Belgium
10 Slovenia

In the case of Living DNA NW Scotland could also be North Ireland, see MacEochaidh and JonathanMcG's results. Might be genuine, might not be, either way it's fun to look into. DNA tribes gave me Ireland as my number 1 match, and if I actually have any native Irish at all I'm 3-6%. Certainly not enough to justify it as my closest match, despite it being what I would want it to be. In your case, Cornwall should definitely be your first.

timberwolf
07-06-2017, 02:07 AM
I do have Northern Irish ancestry and I suspect they were part of the plantation.

When I started out researching my family history. I thought originally that my maternal mothers line, were Scots, and It came as some surprise to find out they were from Belfast.

When I received my results, I queried DNA Tribes about the Netherlands, Belgium and Slovenia.

They said with the Netherlands admixture, it was hard to distinguish it from both English and continental. With Belgium, I wanted to know whether the samples were Flemish or Walloon. They did not really answer that. They did state that they wanted to break Belgium down into those two regions. However this was a year ago, and they have not had an update since.

With Slovenia, they stated that Slovenia had a higher Germanic mixture, as opposed to the surrounding states in the Balkans, as an explanation of why Slovenia ranked so high in my report.

Yes I totally agree, that Cornwall should have been ranked first on my list.

Mixed
07-06-2017, 12:41 PM
[QUOTE=Tomenable;253480]That seems accurate. How much of your ancestry is Polish?

Most of Polish-Americans are mixed with other ancestries:

Prussian influence.

timberwolf
07-07-2017, 11:38 PM
I emailed DNA Tribes, regarding whether if they had any plans to update their algorithm in the near future.

We will likely update the algorithms in the next 6-12 months.

DNA Tribes

Exosuits
07-10-2017, 07:53 AM
Yes my favourite test of them all, seems to go further back and pick up more than the other companies.

Kurki
01-27-2018, 06:13 PM
I'm so far most impressed by DNA Tribes for a upload. Many populations. Every other one I've taken has missing populations. Much of my family is Danish, for example, and that appears to be missing from several common upload sites (and I don't believe WeGene even has a Scandinavian reference, another appears to blur Sweden into Finland...?). DNA Tribes has all the major European populations, plus noted I'm close to Russian Kursk and Voronezh (my Eastern influences perhaps outside of the known Scandinavian ancestry). This all matches up with stuff I'm getting from GEDmatch, Ancestry, GenePlaza, etc, and general East Euro and Russian. In GEDmatch, the trace areas for East Euro seem matched to Ukraine most often, or sometimes Mordovia. Kursk and Voronezh both border Ukraine. But all of these are listed as populations in DNA Tribes. I do not know what size their populations are. But they did cover my whole ancestry and the admixtures seem to be fine-tuned versions of anything else I've gotten on uploads or larger payments.

I used an Ancestry upload. I am rechecking with FTDNA (waiting) because I'm wondering about the mtDNA and maybe not the best sample from Ancestry. This is one site I will probably go to again to check with another sample (the FTDNA). If the results are the same, I don't see that as a problem. Probably more like a confirmation that I had good samples or they had good population references. Like the better GEDmatch sites, it matched my top single population match and that is included in my admixture at about 40%, which does probably line up for ancestry. So it's nothing bizarre. The unaccounted Eastern Euro in AncestryDNA report are most likely Western Russia. I'll still take with a grain of salt, but it does match GEDmatch results, yet even more specific. It does have a Roma population match, as well as Laplander. I think most important to have several populations if you are going to get into this business at all, which they appear to have done well.

digital_noise
04-18-2018, 12:39 AM
Ran my DNA Tribes SNP analysis. This is what came back. More or less accurate and what I have seen elsewhere, however I have no known Finnish (Swedish yes, about 8%). The "oracle" that they run basically matches what Lukasz can provide in his K36 analysis (for 5 Euro, which is a steal), as well as what 24 Genetics provides at a much greater cost...

Continental core mixture
79% European
18.2 North African-Middle Eastern

Regional Cluster mixture
34.4% NW Europe
26.9% Italian Greek
11% Balto-North Slavic
8.2% Iberian
8.2% Finnish
4.3% Caucasus
4% Basque
1% Ashkenazi

firemonkey
04-18-2018, 03:41 PM
Here are my top population matches. I am not sure which count as red.

digital_noise
04-18-2018, 06:24 PM
My Top pop matches. Just realized yo can attach pics directly from your computer..:boink:

lukaszM
04-18-2018, 10:58 PM
My Top pop matches. Just realized yo can attach pics directly from your computer..:boink:

I see that in DNA Tribes artificial Belgium for NW-Euro with some southern admix is also at the top. Hard to resists it also in my reports:)

BackToTheForests
04-18-2018, 11:55 PM
These are my top population matches:

I will likely use them again for my mother.

Mixed
04-22-2018, 06:24 PM
These are my top population matches:

I will likely use them again for my mother.

So much Anglo Saxon. Boring. :)

BackToTheForests
04-24-2018, 01:47 PM
So much Anglo Saxon. Boring. :)

I think I can top that one...

Mixed
04-24-2018, 04:04 PM
I think I can top that one...

Ugh. It's like God decided to create the most boring genetic creature in history. Anglo Saxon=boring. I think you pure Anglos should just save your money. :)

digital_noise
09-20-2018, 10:34 PM
Anyone received a DNA.Tribes report recently? I just went to their site and it look slike some area's have been renamed? Italian/Greek looks to be Aegean now, and along with a couple others (looks like Basque has been removed, or maybe swallowed by Iberian??)

Anyways, just curious.

Charlie X
10-12-2018, 02:34 AM
DNA Tribes (based upon FTDNA data):

Table 1: Your Continental Core Mixture

Continental Core Mixture

European 80.6%
North African and Middle Eastern 15.4%
South Asian 2.9%
Siberian 0.6%
Sub-Saharan African 0.2%
Amerindian 0.2%
Asian 0.1%

Table 2: Your Regional Cluster Mixture

Regional Cluster Mixture

Northwest European 57.9%
Italian Greek 11.1%
Finnish 8.7%
Iberian 7.6%
Caucasus 4.9%
Sephardic Jewish 4.8%
Pakistani 3.4%
Other 1.6%

Table 3: Your Population Mixture

Population Mixture

Denmark 70.1%
Sardinia 14.6%
Lapland 4.8%
Chechen 3.7%
Galicia Spain 3%
Ossetia 2.2%
Brahui Pakistan 1.5%
Other 0.1%

Table 14: Your Population Matches: Diasporic Populations

Rank Population Diaspora Type

2 Caucasian New Zealand and Australia Diaspora
7 European American Diaspora
14 Romani Europe Diaspora
17 Canary Islands Diaspora
22 Cuba Diaspora
24 Mestizo Diaspora
26 Brazil Diaspora
30 Ashkenazi Jewish Europe General Jewish Diaspora
35 Ashkenazi Jewish Netherlands Jewish Diaspora
39 Ashkenazi Jewish Romania Jewish Diaspora
40 Sephardic Jewish Turkey Jewish Diaspora
44 Puerto Rico Diaspora
47 Italian Jewish Jewish Diaspora
52 Algerian Jewish Jewish Diaspora
54 Sephardic Jewish General Jewish Diaspora
59 Colombia Diaspora
65 Moroccan Jewish Jewish Diaspora
68 Syrian Jewish Jewish Diaspora
69 Ashkenazi Jewish Austria Jewish Diaspora
73 Libyan Jewish Jewish Diaspora
74 Costa Rica Diaspora
82 Ashkenazi Jewish France Jewish Diaspora
89 Persian Qatar Diaspora
90 Ashkenazi Jewish Belarus Jewish Diaspora
92 Iraqi Jewish Jewish Diaspora
94 Tunisian Jewish Jewish Diaspora
96 Ashkenazi Jewish Poland Jewish Diaspora
97 Kurdistan Jewish Jewish Diaspora
103 Azerbaijani Jewish Jewish Diaspora
107 Georgian Jewish Jewish Diaspora
118 Ashkenazi Jewish Latvia Jewish Diaspora
122 Ashkenazi Jewish Germany Jewish Diaspora
125 Iranian Jewish Jewish Diaspora
128 Ashkenazi Jewish Russia Jewish Diaspora
130 Dominican Republic Diaspora
136 Mexican American Los Angeles CA Diaspora
143 Uzbekistani Jewish Jewish Diaspora
161 Yemenite Jewish Jewish Diaspora
170 Mumbai Jewish Jewish Diaspora
189 Cochin Jewish India Jewish Diaspora
193 Indian Singaporean Diaspora
203 Colored Wellington South Africa Diaspora
257 Ethiopian Jewish Jewish Diaspora
298 African American Diaspora
312 Colored Colesberg South Africa Diaspora
323 Chinese American Denver CO Diaspora
360 Chinese Singaporean Diaspora
383 African Qatar Diaspora
385 Jamaica Diaspora
397 Barbados Diaspora
412 Haiti Diaspora

kingjohn
10-13-2018, 07:28 PM
DNA Tribes (based upon FTDNA data):

Table 1: Your Continental Core Mixture

Continental Core Mixture

European 80.6%
North African and Middle Eastern 15.4%
South Asian 2.9%
Siberian 0.6%
Sub-Saharan African 0.2%
Amerindian 0.2%
Asian 0.1%

Table 2: Your Regional Cluster Mixture

Regional Cluster Mixture

Northwest European 57.9%
Italian Greek 11.1%
Finnish 8.7%
Iberian 7.6%
Caucasus 4.9%
Sephardic Jewish 4.8%
Pakistani 3.4%
Other 1.6%

Table 3: Your Population Mixture

Population Mixture

Denmark 70.1%
Sardinia 14.6%
Lapland 4.8%
Chechen 3.7%
Galicia Spain 3%
Ossetia 2.2%
Brahui Pakistan 1.5%
Other 0.1%

Table 14: Your Population Matches: Diasporic Populations

Rank Population Diaspora Type

2 Caucasian New Zealand and Australia Diaspora
7 European American Diaspora
14 Romani Europe Diaspora
17 Canary Islands Diaspora
22 Cuba Diaspora
24 Mestizo Diaspora
26 Brazil Diaspora
30 Ashkenazi Jewish Europe General Jewish Diaspora
35 Ashkenazi Jewish Netherlands Jewish Diaspora
39 Ashkenazi Jewish Romania Jewish Diaspora
40 Sephardic Jewish Turkey Jewish Diaspora
44 Puerto Rico Diaspora
47 Italian Jewish Jewish Diaspora
52 Algerian Jewish Jewish Diaspora
54 Sephardic Jewish General Jewish Diaspora
59 Colombia Diaspora
65 Moroccan Jewish Jewish Diaspora
68 Syrian Jewish Jewish Diaspora
69 Ashkenazi Jewish Austria Jewish Diaspora
73 Libyan Jewish Jewish Diaspora
74 Costa Rica Diaspora
82 Ashkenazi Jewish France Jewish Diaspora
89 Persian Qatar Diaspora
90 Ashkenazi Jewish Belarus Jewish Diaspora
92 Iraqi Jewish Jewish Diaspora
94 Tunisian Jewish Jewish Diaspora
96 Ashkenazi Jewish Poland Jewish Diaspora
97 Kurdistan Jewish Jewish Diaspora
103 Azerbaijani Jewish Jewish Diaspora
107 Georgian Jewish Jewish Diaspora
118 Ashkenazi Jewish Latvia Jewish Diaspora
122 Ashkenazi Jewish Germany Jewish Diaspora
125 Iranian Jewish Jewish Diaspora
128 Ashkenazi Jewish Russia Jewish Diaspora
130 Dominican Republic Diaspora
136 Mexican American Los Angeles CA Diaspora
143 Uzbekistani Jewish Jewish Diaspora
161 Yemenite Jewish Jewish Diaspora
170 Mumbai Jewish Jewish Diaspora
189 Cochin Jewish India Jewish Diaspora
193 Indian Singaporean Diaspora
203 Colored Wellington South Africa Diaspora
257 Ethiopian Jewish Jewish Diaspora
298 African American Diaspora
312 Colored Colesberg South Africa Diaspora
323 Chinese American Denver CO Diaspora
360 Chinese Singaporean Diaspora
383 African Qatar Diaspora
385 Jamaica Diaspora
397 Barbados Diaspora
412 Haiti Diaspora

interesting that you score 3.4% pakistan in table 2:
that is very cool :):beerchug:

Tz85
10-13-2018, 09:33 PM
I think DNA Tribes maybe gone. The website no longer exists.

Charlie X
10-13-2018, 10:52 PM
thanks kingjohn!

it was mega cool since i never would have suspected it. It was identified in my mother's 23&Me ancestry report. I then uploaded her 23&Me data to DNALand and here's where the head scratching began:

incidentally DNALAND tipped us off to our Jewish ancestry - 8.1% Ashkenazi in her case.

i have some friends at work who are Pakistani - they didn't believe it until I showed them the report lol

Charlie X
10-13-2018, 11:27 PM
here's my DNALAND report - it closely mirrors hers except in my case it came up "ambiguous" it took DNA Tribes to tease in out.

Mixed
01-03-2019, 01:25 PM
This website is offline:(
dnatribes-snp.com/

They no longer offer that service.

Charlie X
01-03-2019, 04:09 PM
i ran my mother's 23&Me data through DNA Tribes - to compare her reports with mine (23&Me and FTDNA data). In all cases there was a commonality of assignments - global, regional and so forth - Sephardi Jew was one such assignment.

JMcB
01-03-2019, 05:23 PM
i ran my mother's 23&Me data through DNA Tribes - to compare her reports with mine (23&Me and FTDNA data). In all cases there was a commonality of assignments - global, regional and so forth - Sephardi Jew was one such assignment.

So what do they charge to get a report by uploading your raw data?

Charlie X
01-03-2019, 08:40 PM
So what do they charge to get a report by uploading your raw data?

$49 USD

Mixed
01-08-2019, 06:00 PM
Makes no difference. They no longer offer SNP analysis.