PDA

View Full Version : DNA Tribes SNP Analysis

sktibo
07-04-2017, 04:22 PM
Just got my DNA Tribes in, it is very interesting but I find it quite strange.

Regional Cluster Admixture:
NW Europe: 57.3
Iberian: 12.4
Balkan: 8
Basque: 6.5
Finnish: 5.6
Balto-North Slavic: 3.7
Urals: 2.1
Yeniseian: 1.9
Northern Amerindian: 1.6
Persian Jewish: 1

Native Population Mixture:
Denmark: 67.9
Galicia Spain: 11.5
Basque Spain: 7.6
Montenegro: 6.6
Lapland: 4
Maris: 2.4

Denmark, at 67.9% on this? That is a new one for me.

Europe Population Matches:
1 Ireland
2 England
3 Netherlands
4 Cornwall West Britain
5 Belgium
6 Argyll and Bute Scottish Highlands
9 Orkney Islands Scotland
10 Sweden
11 Norway
12 France
13 Slovenia
14 Germany
15 Denmark
17 Czech
19 Spain
20 Bergamo Italy
22 Slovakia
24 Hungary
25 Finland
26 Tuscany Italy

As our screenshot posting size is now very restricted, I have to write out my results. I'm happy to write out what it gave me if anyone wants to see that. I don't think I'll be able to post the graphs or maps.

So it assigns me over half Danish, and then gives me Ireland as my closest match. I don't see the connection. How commonly does it assign Persian Jewish? What is Yeniseian?
Thank you

07-04-2017, 04:33 PM
As other test mistake Danish, Northern Germany, Netherlands, for English could this be just a reversal, mistaking English for Danish?
The Danish DNA must have allot in common with the Eastern side of England?

kingjohn
07-04-2017, 04:39 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yeniseian_languages
take in count that everything lower than 5% is not stable enough
and could be mistake {that includes the ural ,persian jews, and the yeniseian
you got huge northwest european element in table 2
and than in table 3 you got one of the irritation that give you the best fit in snp combined with the other elements {for example iberian in table 2 = galician in table 3,
balkan in table 2 = montenegro in table 3, basque in table 2 = spanish basque in table 3 }
i am sure in the other iritations you got ireland or orkney
very cool results
regards
adam

sktibo
07-04-2017, 06:03 PM
As other test mistake Danish, Northern Germany, Netherlands, for English could this be just a reversal, mistaking English for Danish?
The Danish DNA must have allot in common with the Eastern side of England?

I don't think so, I've seen it confused with Dutch and German, not the Scandinavian countries. Further, even if it were the case, I'm not actually that English: less than 30%, which is still a ton for someone as mixed as I am. So, I don't think this is what happened here.

kingjohn
07-04-2017, 06:48 PM
danish, Norwegian , German
English Scottish
all those populations score huge north Atlantic and north sea in eurogenes k36
there is overlap in genetic markers between those populations thats why they can be interchangeable in the irritations
logical results
if you would get red sea arab or italian greek than i would say dna tribes blew it but is not the case here :)

sktibo
07-05-2017, 12:53 AM
danish, Norwegian , German
English Scottish
all those populations score huge north Atlantic and north sea in eurogenes k36
there is overlap in genetic markers between those populations thats why they can be interchangeable in the irritations
logical results
if you would get red sea arab or italian greek than i would say dna tribes blew it but is not the case here :)

Yes, the second iteration gives me 76% Ireland, 3rd, 79% Orkney, 4th, 60% Norway, 5th, 64% Sweden, 6th, Netherlands 50%, 7th, Belgium 41%, Scotland 34%, Montenegro 8%, 8th, Cornwall 47%, Scotland 34%, Montenegro 7%

So it's good that they show 8 iterations of their calculation. It is very difficult to tell NW European populations apart as you said, but some Calculators do a better job than others. I think that in the case of splitting NW European populations this one isn't very good: Neither Denmark or Ireland are representative of the majority of my ancestry.
Still, very cool test

Mixed
07-05-2017, 01:03 PM
Read page 8 on your report and it kind of explains that some of these populations overlap. Page 8 is the best information in the report, imo. Page 9 is also significant as my closest population is Russian Voronezh. Yet, my first five tribes are TIED for their genetic contribution to my makeup with all five being highlighted in red. If you have questions email them. They responded to all of my emails to clarify some things for me.

sktibo
07-05-2017, 07:54 PM
Read page 8 on your report and it kind of explains that some of these populations overlap. Page 8 is the best information in the report, imo. Page 9 is also significant as my closest population is Russian Voronezh. Yet, my first five tribes are TIED for their genetic contribution to my makeup with all five being highlighted in red. If you have questions email them. They responded to all of my emails to clarify some things for me.

yes, the populations definitely overlap, however, being a mostly mixed NW European person, my basis for judging a DNA test is on how well they can differentiate these closely related groups. Some tests do better than others on this, but DNA tribes snp analysis is one of the least accurate when compared to my known ancestry. Denmark and Ireland were my top populations, and neither are a good fit. It looks like it is a good test for other groups, but for NW Europeans, it is not a good test. 23andme and the k36 oracle by LucaszM still reign supreme for that.
Just to be clear, I'm not saying it's a bad test overall, I'm sure based on the positive reviews it has received that it's actually quite good for many people of different backgrounds.

JFWinstone
07-05-2017, 08:16 PM
I wouldn't take the Native and Jewish populations table too seriously. It says "These results do not necessarily indicate percentages of recent family ancestors from each country or ethnic group listed, but instead express the closest genetic fit for your genome using SNP markers". For that table I have

Table 3: Your Population Mixture (23andme)
Population Mixture
Denmark 62.9%
Ossetia 7.5%
Basque Spain 6.8%
Udmurts 6.4%
Mikea Madagascar 6.3%
Hindi Speakers in Uttar Pradesh India 5.3%
Anuak Ethiopia 3.1%
Lapland 1.6%
Other 0.1%

Table 3: Your Population Mixture (AncestryDNA)
Population Mixture
Denmark 66.3%
Udmurts 6.6%
Temoro Madagascar 6.2%
Ossetia 6.1%
Hindi Speakers in Uttar Pradesh India 5.6%
Basque Spain 4.9%
Nivkh 2.8%
Lapland 1.4%
Other 0.1%

I'm definitely not 62-67% Danish.

sktibo
07-05-2017, 08:43 PM
I wouldn't take the Native and Jewish populations table too seriously. It says "These results do not necessarily indicate percentages of recent family ancestors from each country or ethnic group listed, but instead express the closest genetic fit for your genome using SNP markers". For that table I have

Table 3: Your Population Mixture (23andme)
Population Mixture
Denmark 62.9%
Ossetia 7.5%
Basque Spain 6.8%
Udmurts 6.4%
Mikea Madagascar 6.3%
Hindi Speakers in Uttar Pradesh India 5.3%
Anuak Ethiopia 3.1%
Lapland 1.6%
Other 0.1%

Table 3: Your Population Mixture (AncestryDNA)
Population Mixture
Denmark 66.3%
Udmurts 6.6%
Temoro Madagascar 6.2%
Ossetia 6.1%
Hindi Speakers in Uttar Pradesh India 5.6%
Basque Spain 4.9%
Nivkh 2.8%
Lapland 1.4%
Other 0.1%

I'm definitely not 62-67% Danish.

Yeah, so your results also indicate it's not a good test for NW euro ancestry. Still, I think their methodology is very interesting and it's a pretty cool report

randwulf
07-06-2017, 02:42 AM
The various mix percentage results for my family were more like nMonte runs against other calculator spreadsheets without any pruning of the spreadsheet (letting the nMonte do its thing with the entire spreadsheet) and also looked odd at first. However, the plots and maps created based on the various mixes, including the iterations one, were really very good. I am curious if you looked at the plots and maps as the primary output, sort of suspending taking the percentages as too meaningful in their own rights temporarily, if you think differently about its accuracy. I found almost all of the plots and the heat maps accurate. I also thought that the Continental Cores mix was really good, among the best of that type of analysis that I have gotten in a test.

sktibo
07-06-2017, 05:03 AM
The various mix percentage results for my family were more like nMonte runs against other calculator spreadsheets without any pruning of the spreadsheet (letting the nMonte do its thing with the entire spreadsheet) and also looked odd at first. However, the plots and maps created based on the various mixes, including the iterations one, were really very good. I am curious if you looked at the plots and maps as the primary output, sort of suspending taking the percentages as too meaningful in their own rights temporarily, if you think differently about its accuracy. I found almost all of the plots and the heat maps accurate. I also thought that the Continental Cores mix was really good, among the best of that type of analysis that I have gotten in a test.

Continental core was very far off in comparison to other tests for me, the plots were fine, but they placed me in NW euro zones, so that's not impressive. The heat map actually did good, the darkest red squares were east England, Wales, SW England/Brittany, NE France, and the low countries, however highlighting such a large range of genetically related regions isn't that impressive either.
Again, I judge a DNA test by how well it does in identifying and differentiating NW Euro regions, so by my standards this test is one of the least accurate. Doesn't mean it isn't great for others ofc

firemonkey
07-06-2017, 09:37 AM
My known ancestry is British. Table 2 & 3 results.

FTDNA

Table 2: Your Regional Cluster Mixture
Regional Cluster Mixture
Northwest European 56.2%
Balto - North Slavic 18.2%
Finnish 8.5%
Lebanese Cypriot 6%
Iberian 4.5%
Balochi Punjab 2.7%
Basque 1.8%
Amazonian 1.1%
Sephardic Jewish 1%

Table 3: Your Population Mixture
Population Mixture
Sweden 42.9%
Ireland 35%
Estonia 11.3%
Latvia 3.1%
Druze Israel Carmel 3%
Hindi Speakers in Haryana India 2.6%
Basque Spain 1.1%
Surui Brazil 1%

23andMe

Regional Cluster Mixture
Northwest European 57.4%
Balto - North Slavic 17.3%
Finnish 8.3%
Lebanese Cypriot 6.4%
Iberian 4.3%
Balochi Punjab 3.1%
Basque 1.8%
Amazonian 1%
Other 0.4%

Population Mixture
Sweden 50.1%
Ireland 30.2%
Estonia 9.9%
Hindi Speakers in Haryana India 3%
Druze Israel Carmel 2.6%
Latvia 2%
Basque Spain 1.1%
Surui Brazil 0.9%
Other 0.2%

Ancestry

Regional Cluster Mixture
Northwest European 57%
Finnish 8.6%
Lebanese Cypriot 5.5%
Iberian 5%
Balochi Punjab 4%
Basque 1.8%
Other 0.8%

Population Mixture
Ireland 44.6%
Sweden 33.2%
Estonia 14.1%
Hindi Speakers in Haryana India 4%
Turkish Cyprus 1.8%
Basque Spain 1%
Latvia 1%
Druze Israel Carmel 0.4%

Father FTDNA

British ancestry

Regional Cluster Mixture
Northwest European 57.3%
Balto - North Slavic 17.4%
Italian Greek 7.8%
Iberian 6.4%
Finnish 4.1%
Basque 3.1%
Balkan 2.5%
Sephardic Jewish 1.4%

Population Mixture
Ireland 46.6%
Sweden 14.4%
Denmark 11.6%
Sardinia 8.8%
Lithuania 7.1%
Slovenia 5.2%
Latvia 4.8%
Basque Spain 1.1%
Other 0.4%

L1983
07-06-2017, 10:11 AM
These are mine. I'm yet to try it out on parents.

randwulf
07-06-2017, 11:11 AM
Continental core was very far off in comparison to other tests for me, the plots were fine, but they placed me in NW euro zones, so that's not impressive. The heat map actually did good, the darkest red squares were east England, Wales, SW England/Brittany, NE France, and the low countries, however highlighting such a large range of genetically related regions isn't that impressive either.
Again, I judge a DNA test by how well it does in identifying and differentiating NW Euro regions, so by my standards this test is one of the least accurate. Doesn't mean it isn't great for others ofc

I see. You may be looking for something different than me out of these tests. However, my plots and maps for the DNA Tribes analysis were accurate within NW European variation, too. It seems there isn't much real variation in NW Europe to begin with, from past modeling exercises I have done. I noticed I could model almost every NW European at a reasonably close distance as a combination Lithuanian/Sardinian/Georgian and the percentages just change depending on the general region in NW Europe. This is nothing like the puzzle I found when trying to do the same kind of modeling with South Asians, which was very complex. I would be surprised if a test could sort out with real accuracy a person of very mixed NW European background, but there are several that do a good job with the general regions and I put the plots/maps of this test in that category.

sktibo
07-06-2017, 08:24 PM
I see. You may be looking for something different than me out of these tests. However, my plots and maps for the DNA Tribes analysis were accurate within NW European variation, too. It seems there isn't much real variation in NW Europe to begin with, from past modeling exercises I have done. I noticed I could model almost every NW European at a reasonably close distance as a combination Lithuanian/Sardinian/Georgian and the percentages just change depending on the general region in NW Europe. This is nothing like the puzzle I found when trying to do the same kind of modeling with South Asians, which was very complex. I would be surprised if a test could sort out with real accuracy a person of very mixed NW European background, but there are several that do a good job with the general regions and I put the plots/maps of this test in that category.

As you can tell I certainly disagree that this test does a good job on NW Euro people, and I think the other results I've seen posted here agree that it does not pick them apart well. What is really interesting is your comment about modeling NW Europeans as a combination of Eastern/Sardinian/Caucus, and of course that might be a big reason why this is so difficult for these tests to pick apart. My reason for being critical is that tests such as 23andme appear to do a good job fairly consistently on the NW euro split. I'll have to watch for your posts about how you model these populations, would that be down in the autosomal section?

randwulf
07-06-2017, 09:15 PM
As you can tell I certainly disagree that this test does a good job on NW Euro people, and I think the other results I've seen posted here agree that it does not pick them apart well. What is really interesting is your comment about modeling NW Europeans as a combination of Eastern/Sardinian/Caucus, and of course that might be a big reason why this is so difficult for these tests to pick apart. My reason for being critical is that tests such as 23andme appear to do a good job fairly consistently on the NW euro split. I'll have to watch for your posts about how you model these populations, would that be down in the autosomal section?

This link is an example. The post just after it is part of the same stream of thinking, too.

http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?9181-Davidski-s-Basal-rick-K7-Global-10-Genetic-Map-Results&p=209877&viewfull=1#post209877

Luis
07-06-2017, 09:39 PM
Is this a new update, or is it the same from June 2016?

kingjohn
07-07-2017, 10:12 AM
Is this a new update, or is it the same from June 2016?

the same

Exosuits
07-10-2017, 07:45 AM
Isn't it in the introduction that DNA Tribes' SNP analysis is more indicative of deeper or ancient ancestry as opposed to Ancestry or MH presenting a more recent timeframe?

serena297
08-06-2017, 04:19 AM
Do you think it was worth the money? Wondering if I should try it out, but thought I'd see what people who did it feel about it.

sktibo
08-06-2017, 05:30 AM
Do you think it was worth the money? Wondering if I should try it out, but thought I'd see what people who did it feel about it.

Personally, I don't think it's worth it - but I think it very much depends on your ethnic background - Some people say it does a very good job in analyzing their ethnicity. In my case I thought it was quite far off. There's a lot of very good feedback that I think will give you input as to your question in this thread. I've expressed my opinion and why I think that in here, and other people have posted positive reviews for it as well - have a look and no matter what you decide I hope it is a fun experience. I personally feel like I don't actually regret any of my DNA test purchases because I find them so entertaining.
I like to recommend 23andme as well as Living DNA, if you haven't bought those yet I would encourage you to buy one of them before purchasing this one. It does of course depend on what you are looking for and your ethnic background.

Mixed
08-26-2017, 04:53 PM

Yes. Supposedly they test more SNPs than some of these other companies and they have been around longer. Living DNA is more United Kingdom oriented and people are claiming mixed results from what I am reading. That being said Tribes gave me solid results based on what I know about my ancestrial history. Ireland and Scottish Highlands were well represented as well as Russia and other Slavic territories.

firemonkey
08-26-2017, 05:22 PM
My dna tribes over 5%.

FTDNA

Regional Cluster Mixture
Northwest European 56.2%
Finnish 8.5%
Lebanese Cypriot 6%

23andMe

Northwest European 57.4%
Finnish 8.3%
Lebanese Cypriot 6.4%

Ancestry

Northwest European 57%
Finnish 8.6%
Lebanese Cypriot 5.5%
Iberian 5%

The Lebanese Cypriot is interesting. I get on average about 9-10% Med Islander with dna land and 9-10% East Med with gene plaza.

kingjohn
08-27-2017, 03:39 AM
My dna tribes over 5%.

FTDNA

Regional Cluster Mixture
Northwest European 56.2%
Finnish 8.5%
Lebanese Cypriot 6%

23andMe

Northwest European 57.4%
Finnish 8.3%
Lebanese Cypriot 6.4%

Ancestry

Northwest European 57%
Finnish 8.6%
Lebanese Cypriot 5.5%
Iberian 5%

The Lebanese Cypriot is interesting. I get on average about 9-10% Med Islander with dna land and 9-10% East Med with gene plaza.

indeed interesting the big quesion how did it reach Britain ?
lost Phoenicians ?
tin trade ?

my father score 14% Lebanese- cyprus in dna tribes table 2 :
i think these are Phoenician DNA signatures