PDA

View Full Version : Differences in Sibling "Cousins" matches

Claxon
07-17-2013, 02:05 PM
I have just received results from my brothers 23and Me Relative Finder links, and perhaps 50% of them are different than mine. However, there are surname links to my mothers side of the family, which I did not get. I have more results to my fathers side maternal surnames than he does. ( including to an NPE)

My surname matches are also a bit different at FtDNA Family Finder, which are of course, due to different parameters at a different company.

The other side is that ( yes we ARE brothers) is that my 23 and Me med things may as well say I can enter the Kentucky races ( very healthy), my brother is quite sickly, and very much shows in HIS med report. This surprised me.

So, I apparently got more from my fathers side, while he got more from my mothers side.

My point is that it is obviously beneficial to have siblings test, to find family cousin links.

I am a bit surprised to find this out, as I have been in this stuff since day 1, and no one, to my knowledge, including the testing companies, put forward the benefits of sibling testing. Should be a revenue enhancer .

We both carry a gene for Crohns disease and psoriasis ( neither has the disease, but my son has severe psoriasis), while he is FOUR times the average for two other situations, which do not show up in mine.

I thought siblings would both inherit, in this situation.May not GET it, but be carriers.

I would also add that he shows 10% French, which I do not ( mother is French/ Guernsey) while I have 10% Scandinavian, which he does not.
Rich

Scarlet Ibis
07-19-2013, 12:41 AM
I forgot exactly how, but I noticed the user Stephen1986/Quotablepatella also had his brother tested, and they came out with ancestry results that looked a little different. I think recombination might help explain at least some of it.

I am going to get my sister tested, but I already spent my recreational dna money on a 2nd hand Geno 2.0 kit for my dad, and a 23andme kit for my great-aunt, so it'll have to wait a few paychecks.

Claxon
07-22-2013, 11:23 PM
I forgot exactly how, but I noticed the user Stephen1986/Quotablepatella also had his brother tested, and they came out with ancestry results that looked a little different. I think recombination might help explain at least some of it.

I am going to get my sister tested, but I already spent my recreational dna money on a 2nd hand Geno 2.0 kit for my dad, and a 23andme kit for my great-aunt, so it'll have to wait a few paychecks.

HI scarlet
Yes, I thought it would be helpful to mention this. Most of us "know" about recombination and other things, but it is a surprise to see it in different matches... then we really "KNOW" it.
Now I am even more aware, of how unlike I could be to my own ancestors... bits and pieces of them vaporizing, with each generation. poof.....gone there goes great grand dad.... not in the DNA anymore. At one point, I was almost certain that my brother and I must have had different fathers.... but that is not the case at all. I just got more of one side, he more of the other. Luckily for me, I got the healthy side. Even the 23 and Me medical reports are as if for totally different people.

And yet, we find resemblances, sometimes very close, to ancestors that would have passed down very little DNA.
A benefit of course, is in finding many more autosomal matches.( cousin... Relative Finder etc)
Rich C

Natalie14612
08-04-2013, 12:19 AM
My sister and I both tested, but we have different fathers. My ancestral results were 76% Western Europe and 23% Ashkenai Jewish. Her results were 50% western Europe and 49.1% East Asian (Han). Our mother's side has no Jewish ancestry. My father's father is unknown but they lived in Tazewell, VA, where there were probably no Jewish families. My sister's father was from Macedonia/Bulgaria, not China/Japan/Korea. Our matches are mostly different except for her 1 third cousin match who is also a 3rd cousin match for me. I am guessing this person is related on our mother's side.

How do we figure out this East Asian stuff?
From what I understand about siblings is that we get 50% of our genes from each parent and could inherit different genes from the 50% inherited so we don't have to be totally similar genetically.

Interesting but confusing!

Natalie
s

Claxon
08-11-2013, 06:11 PM
I think the normal way of thinking on this, is that although we inherit 50% of "stuff" from each parent, that still leaves a mixture of matter that a sibling might inherit from each parent. In other words, I got a certain 50 % from each parent, and each parent obviously still has 100% of their own DNA, of which a different mix would be passed down to a sibling.... still 50%, but different.
This is where I have a problem with autosomal admixture lately. It is always an average of averages from each parent and ancestors.

I am British/ Romanian/ at Nat Geno, but my brother is British/ French.

I have 10% Scandinavian, he is 10% Irish. Same parents !

I think this is the part that many of us miss, and proves through the "lie" that this hints at. It is an interesting experiment in ancestry, but is ultimately meaningless.

My average may point to a Native American Cherokee, while his could show 100% Indonesian. Averages of averages making exact matches to known populations.
Rich