Benin/Togo 14%
Low Confidence Region
Europe 72%
Great Britain 35%
Ireland 16%
Europe West 7%
Low Confidence Region
Show All Regions

Your nationality is whatever is written in your passport.

Bobby Martnen
09-29-2017, 07:18 AM
You're either a 3/4 NW Euro 1/4 African or 1/2 NW Euro 1/2 heavily mixed African American

MindHive
09-29-2017, 02:21 PM
Nationality is not ethnicity. You could be a citizen of China, making your nationality Chinese, regardless of personal ancestry... Ill take a crazy but as plausable as guessing any other country and say you are a Finnish national.

MindHive
09-29-2017, 02:22 PM
What Dorky said, didnt see his post, sorry.

geebee
09-29-2017, 03:31 PM

Yes! It's why I detest the Ancestry commercial with "Livie", the woman who says that when she traveled and people asked her nationality she would always say "Hispanic". Now, I realize it's a testimonial and presumably Ancestry wants the person's own words -- or at least, what seems like the person's own words -- but I would never have let her say anything so silly.

"Hispanic" is not anyone's nationality. "Hispanic" is from the Latin name for the Iberian Peninsula -- Hispania. It refers to people with Spanish ancestry, but it isn't a nationality. (Since Portugal is on the Iberian Peninsula, it seems reasonable that a Portuguese person could call himself/herself Hispanic, but it doesn't usually seem to work that way.)

Dorkymon's answer is a good one for nationality. Of course, a surprising number of Americans -- which I would guess is marymyers34's nationality, and I might be completely off -- don't have passports.

Amerijoe
09-29-2017, 03:35 PM

Originally my US passport said place of birth Scotland, upon recent renewal it says U.K. and now that change is starting to show up in my DNA., along with an insatiable thirst for tea. Mirror test showed no visible changes so far. :lol:

geebee
09-29-2017, 04:02 PM
Originally my US passport said place of birth Scotland, upon recent renewal it says U.K. and now that change is starting to show up in my DNA., along with an insatiable thirst for tea. Mirror test showed no visible changes so far. :lol:

I guess the State Department doesn't want to recognize Scottish independence before it happens (if it eventually does). Maybe Theresa May complained?

My place of birth is Germany, and only once did a U.S. immigration official say anything about my U.S. passport showing a foreign birthplace. I can only suppose he noticed that I don't have even the slightest trace of a German accent, but instead I have a slight central Pennsylvanian accent. (Sorry, I can't always help it.)

His question was, "Service brat?", which is exactly right. My father was in the U.S. Air Force. I have a Pennsylvania father, Mississippi mother, German birth, U.S. nationality, and English, Scottish, German, Spanish, French, Irish, Swiss, and Native American ethnicity. No wonder I'm always confused.