PDA

View Full Version : No Forum at Living_DNA

Kathlingram
07-05-2017, 01:52 PM
I really would like to try to figure out why my original results were incorrect.. In a fashion that I can understand, not just a pat on the head.. Yes the Help Desk at Living_DNA is pleasant..
and secondly and just as important WHY do I just see 100% UK.. I should have 10-15% Non UK which should at least be shown in a percentage of non-UK..

07-05-2017, 01:58 PM
Hi Kathlingram, Just to make sure I understand you correctly, is the 100% UK, in Complete Mode? or also the other Modes too? I have not heard of anybody getting 100% seems odd.
I think they will bring in forums, when they release their DNA Relative Matches.

Kathlingram
07-05-2017, 02:25 PM
Hi Kathlingram, Just to make sure I understand you correctly, is the 100% UK, in Complete Mode? or also the other Modes too? I have not heard of anybody getting 100% seems odd.
I think they will bring in forums, when they release their DNA Relative Matches.
Well all of the Modes say 100% UK and the "Unassigned" Says this:"Great Britain and Ireland (unassigned) 10.8%"
Is that another type of unassigned and not UK? It does not say that.

07-05-2017, 02:32 PM
Well all of the Modes say 100% UK and the "Unassigned" Says this:"Great Britain and Ireland (unassigned) 10.8%"
Is that another type of unassigned and not UK? It does not say that.

How is it possible for all the modes to show 100% UK, and then 10.8% "Great Britain and Ireland (unassigned) 10.8%"?
That's a contradiction in itself.

Shouldn't the Complete mode assign, any unassigned? is it possible to upload screenshot of your complete Mode?
thanks.

Kathlingram
07-05-2017, 02:42 PM
How is it possible for all the modes to show 100% UK, and then 10.8% "Great Britain and Ireland (unassigned) 10.8%"?
That's a contradiction in itself.

They all say 100% "Great Britain and Ireland".. I guess I paraphrased to say 100% UK..are they not the same thing?
Does this :"Great Britain and Ireland (unassigned) 10.8%" reference another country in Europe? If so I clearly do not understand..

My question should have been "Why do my results show no countries outside of Great Britain and Ireland" ... and I should have had some.. in the "Through History" I see it show other Euro countries further out than 500 years

Kathlingram
07-05-2017, 03:19 PM
I DID hear back from them and appreciate their promptness in that respect :"We are only able to establish the percentage similarity of your DNA to the population samples available in our reference dataset. Currently, in the family ancestry part of our testing package, we can compare with and report on your ancestry up to 80 worldwide regions.

Unfortunately, even our fine-scale algorithm cannot distinguish between some very genetically similar countries. In these cases, we group them into genetically-distinct clusters that often reflect natural geographical boundaries. In order to clearly distinguish results into more specific regions/countries, sample data fulfilling very specific criteria will have to be collected and included in our reference datasets. This is a process that takes years.

Many populations are themselves formed from the mixture of other populations. Our algorithm will attempt to match you directly to a population/region, where we have it in our reference database. If:
we do not have your region of interest and/or,
we have a low sample size for that region, or,
if there is further population structure within that population/region,
then in the interim, we are likely to assign some ancestry to the regions we do have that contribute to your region of interest."

So perhaps the 10% Unassigned is my missing ancestral..

greerpalmer
07-05-2017, 03:20 PM
They all say 100% "Great Britain and Ireland".. I guess I paraphrased to say 100% UK..are they not the same thing?
Does this :"Great Britain and Ireland (unassigned) 10.8%" reference another country in Europe? If so I clearly do not understand..

My question should have been "Why do my results show no countries outside of Great Britain and Ireland" ... and I should have had some.. in the "Through History" I see it show other Euro countries further out than 500 years

Gotta love how everyone's first question is about the complete mode and whether you're drilling down deep enough. Yes, your results do in fact show 100% UK of which just short of 11% is difficult to pinpoint beyond general UK.
I'm curious about your Norwegian and Swedish family ties, since you post both flags. Is this based on a paper trail?

I assume this is the missing non-UK 10% you're looking for? My guess is that rather than not identifying Scandinavian all together (Scandinavian can be detected with a fairly high confidence rating versus, say, Germanic/Central European) livingDNA's complex algorithm is recombining your Scandinavian bits with your English bits to more closely align you with a UK population--whats your Orkney % look like? Did your Scandinavian immigrate through New Sweden in the 1600's? Perhaps your inherited Scandinavian shows as more "ancient" segments which would mirror the Scandinavian footprint in modern day UK.

We know Ancestry tends to overestimate Scandinavian but I have not heard that about 23andme or ftDNA.

Long story short, the algorithm, as impressive as it is on the micro level, still has opportunities on the macro level within Northwest Europe. I am confident that livingDNA will improve going forward, but we'll have to be patient with the results. I've tested with several commercial companies and my results typically swing 20% from test to test based on a heavy european admix. LivingDNA has been the most promising thus far, despite not reflecting ANY of my 1/3 German roots.

Kathlingram
07-05-2017, 03:46 PM
Gotta love how everyone's first question is about the complete mode and whether you're drilling down deep enough. Yes, your results do in fact show 100% UK of which just short of 11% is difficult to pinpoint beyond general UK.
I'm curious about your Norwegian and Swedish family ties, since you post both flags. Is this based on a paper trail?

I assume this is the missing non-UK 10% you're looking for? My guess is that rather than not identifying Scandinavian all together (Scandinavian can be detected with a fairly high confidence rating versus, say, Germanic/Central European) livingDNA's complex algorithm is recombining your Scandinavian bits with your English bits to more closely align you with a UK population--whats your Orkney % look like? Did your Scandinavian immigrate through New Sweden in the 1600's? Perhaps your inherited Scandinavian shows as more "ancient" segments which would mirror the Scandinavian footprint in modern day UK.

We know Ancestry tends to overestimate Scandinavian but I have not heard that about 23andme or ftDNA.

Long story short, the algorithm, as impressive as it is on the micro level, still has opportunities on the macro level within Northwest Europe. I am confident that livingDNA will improve going forward, but we'll have to be patient with the results. I've tested with several commercial companies and my results typically swing 20% from test to test based on a heavy european admix. LivingDNA has been the most promising thus far, despite not reflecting ANY of my 1/3 German roots.

Well there is my putative Grandfather who was my father's stepfather and who was not married to my grandmother at that time.. everyone had doubts and grandmother kept pretty mum..
This has shot that out of the water I think but that is OK

I do have a 3rd great grandparent couple and the male Captain Charles Swanson ( Swenson) was born in Goteborg Sweden in 1888.. hsi brother Andrew ( Anders) Was impressed off an American Ship in 1797 by the British.Philadelphia.. Captain Swanson died on hsi vessel in the Delaware River in 1850 of cholera.. his wife Letitia sometimes said she was from Sweden and spoke Swedish and somrtimes born in NJ..She probably was of the Colonial Swedes lines..

I also have 4 German(Alsace) and Swiss Palatinates who are there 1750-60 and were Catholic.. married within their groups for at least 2 generations..Member of Old St.Joseph's along with Admiral Barry and documented well

Not tons but both Dr.Doug McDonald and DNA Tribes pointed to 15-17% Arctic tribal.. which I left pointed to Sigurd Boe, Dad's stepfather who died an Norwegian National and from North of the Arctic Circle..Grandparent shares can be as small as 10%.. one of my grandsosn share only 17.7% with me..the rest between 24 and 30% ( takes from the other Grandparent)

So it is OK I guess.. perhaps I should remove my Norway flag..No..one of my Palatinates was Henry Norbeck, from Norway who came in with them and whose daughter was my 5th great..marrying another
Palatinate.. I proved 4 of these men as Revolutionary Patriots at the DAR so attached to them

yes I am mostly English and Irish though so will have to wait for more resolution..

Kathlingram
07-05-2017, 03:55 PM
They also sent me this:"In accordance from feedback from the community, our raw data files are currently undergoing an overhaul, so autosomal downloads may be unavailable during this time. We expect that they'll be back within the month.

Unfortunately, we do not currently have the resources to maintain an in-house forum. Our director and support team administrators are monitoring our social media accounts closely.

Thank you for bearing with us. "
and I appreciate that..