PDA

View Full Version : Any others with U1a1?, Or any Indians?

Zak_S
07-10-2017, 11:03 PM
Curious about origin of this Haplogroup and its distribution, one of my Indian Relatives is U1a1 at least from 23andme. Some sources say its found in Kerala Christians and others show Middle Eastern and Italian/Tuscan links as well. If you show U1a1 or any descendant as your MTDNA please reply with your ethnicity, Thanks!.

MirandaOutside
10-15-2017, 10:33 PM
Hi Zak - I am u1a1, and the farthest I trace back, which is only 4 generations on the maternal line, is Slovakia. I am actively trying to research that line. I test as 2% south Asian, which I know can be "noise," however I understand some Roma go back to India, and while I have no known Roma ancestry, I am curious if that is where the south Asian is from. Still researching!

GailT
10-16-2017, 12:34 AM
U1a1 is estimated to be about 20,000 years old and is very widely distributed from Europe to the Middle East to South Asia. You would need the full mtDNA sequence test to identify a more refined subclade of U1a1 to say something more specific about the geographic origins of your branch. If you tested at 23andMe you can upload your results to James Lick's mthap web tool to see if any extra mutations were found that identify a more specific subclade.

MulticulturalGirl
07-02-2018, 11:20 AM
Curious about origin of this Haplogroup and its distribution, one of my Indian Relatives is U1a1 at least from 23andme. Some sources say its found in Kerala Christians and others show Middle Eastern and Italian/Tuscan links as well. If you show U1a1 or any descendant as your MTDNA please reply with your ethnicity, Thanks!.

Hi there.. both my parents are from South India (Davangere and Ballupet... nearest common city is Bengaluru). I was born in UK but raised in Australia and am based in Berlin, Germany. I have not found much info on U1a1 (and definitely none of U1a1c1).

I identify as a Kannada person.. and that is also my mother tongue. What about you guys? What have you learned so far?

Johane Derite
07-02-2018, 11:32 AM
I am an Albanian with U1.

Here is a U1 general thread I opened where I dump any relevant papers and information that comes my way

https://anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?13600-U1-General-Thread&highlight=U1a1a

Settler23
08-22-2018, 05:47 PM
Hi, I am U1a1, unsure about any further defined than that. I am 100% European, not sure about my mom's direct female line as it dies out rather quickly, but all others on that side of the family have been European settlers to colonial America. Sorry I can't be more helpful!