PDA

View Full Version : J1c8a2, Anyone else?

Cyn
07-12-2017, 12:46 PM
Hello,

I am a J1c8a2 and I feel so all alone.

I know of J1c8s, but I've never seen another J1c8a2.

Thanks

Gray Fox
07-15-2017, 08:59 AM
Hello,

I am a J1c8a2 and I feel so all alone.

I know of J1c8s, but I've never seen another J1c8a2.

Thanks

What company did you test with? And yes, it is a lonely world for us J1c's, especially your variety. I'm always curious to see where J1c8 varieties hail from. Do you know your mdka's country of origin?

Cyn
07-22-2017, 06:16 PM
Yes. My MRCA was born in the Netherlands in 1793. I can trace most my Dutch branches back to the 1400s, but not my MRCA. I test my mtDNA with Helix/NatGeo. Ancestry shows my autosomal as
54% East Europe
33% Scandinavian
7% Europe West
2% Asia South
1% Middle East

When I put my kit into GEDmatch, I always get two things of .5 to 4%: Red Sea and Northeast Africa, and Siberian, Beringia, and Amerindian. Which I find a hoot, as my grandparents came here from Lithuania and my great grandparents, The Netherlands.

What variety of J1c are you and from where?

Cyn
07-22-2017, 06:16 PM
Oh, sorry, I just now see that you are a J1c8. I wonder what my "a2" means?

Gray Fox
07-23-2017, 11:15 AM
I'm currently brick walled in late 18th century North Carolina for the mdka of my maternal line (seemingly British in origin). I have received a match via 23&me with a Yugoslavian woman of Danube Swabian background who is also J1c8. She only recently immigrated to the states, so I'm thinking this may be a fairly old connection.

The "a2" is simply a part of the nomenclature, in this case I'm assuming, designating either estimated age or in relation to discovery of other J1c8a sub-branches.

Cyn
07-23-2017, 11:43 AM
You know about the Moravians in the 1700s in North Carolina, which is my home state. Do you? Have you checked any of those church records? It might sound like your mdka could have joined them for religious reasons. The Moravian church would have extended into Yugoslavia.

Gray Fox
07-24-2017, 05:04 AM
You know about the Moravians in the 1700s in North Carolina, which is my home state. Do you? Have you checked any of those church records? It might sound like your mdka could have joined them for religious reasons. The Moravian church would have extended into Yugoslavia.

That's an interesting possibility and one that I hadn't considered. Her surname was Tompkins, If I remember right, and I've not been able to locate her parents. So yes, her mother may well have been associated with the Moravian church. Thanks for bringing that possibility to my attention!

Cyn
07-24-2017, 11:39 AM
Of course. I'm a retired historian and photojournalist. I know a lot and I drink ;-)
No, seriously, I'm very good at making connections and research, so if you have any other brick walls, let me know, fellow J1c8.
I did a course in history on the religions in the US and do know what groups came, where they went, and why.
Also, my husband's tree is full of very early settlers, early 1600s, who were so varied in their religious beliefs and settled from Virginia to New Hampshire.
And, not to go on, but my first job was with Wachovia Bank, and you had to know why the bank got its name.
Ciao!

Gray Fox
07-26-2017, 08:45 AM
Of course. I'm a retired historian and photojournalist. I know a lot and I drink ;-)
No, seriously, I'm very good at making connections and research, so if you have any other brick walls, let me know, fellow J1c8.
I did a course in history on the religions in the US and do know what groups came, where they went, and why.
Also, my husband's tree is full of very early settlers, early 1600s, who were so varied in their religious beliefs and settled from Virginia to New Hampshire.
And, not to go on, but my first job was with Wachovia Bank, and you had to know why the bank got its name.
Ciao!

If you want, you can try your hand at my Y-DNA mdka. I know the line ultimately comes from Devon as we matched a man whose G,G,Grandfather recently immigrated to the states from there and the name is rather old there. But the journey across the Atlantic is a mystery.

The ancestor in question was a Samuel Isaac, born in or around 1685 and the earliest records have him and his son in Old Orange County, Virginia around 1730. I've not been able to determine their religious background, but they did intermarry with mostly people of British background.