PDA

View Full Version : Living DNA results of italians?

Claudio
07-12-2017, 03:16 PM
Hi there.. interested in hearing living DNA ethnicity results for italians/half italians? or people of partial italian background?
Anyone?

greerpalmer
07-12-2017, 03:26 PM
Yes, the livingDNA user group on facebook has a handful of Italians and some Italian DNA groups were recommending the service. Without sharing their results without permission, they're as you'd expect with majority split among Italy and varying amounts of Iberian, French, Aegean, North African, etc.

They did usually get a trace British Isles which goes back to the POBI population bias, but over all they seemed extremely happy for a service that doesn't just lump them into "southern European"

Claudio
07-12-2017, 05:24 PM
Yes, the livingDNA user group on facebook has a handful of Italians and some Italian DNA groups were recommending the service. Without sharing their results without permission, they're as you'd expect with majority split among Italy and varying amounts of Iberian, French, Aegean, North African, etc.

They did usually get a trace British Isles which goes back to the POBI population bias, but over all they seemed extremely happy for a service that doesn't just lump them into "southern European"

What about there caucasus and Middle Eastern percentages? as LivingDNA is the only company to divide Caucasus into north Turkish ,South Turkish,Kurdish,Armenian.. and Middle East into levantine,Iranian,and Irabian.. any interesting combos turn up?

sktibo
07-12-2017, 05:44 PM
@Claudio

Edit, appears I'm unable to directly link the Facebook group url here. I suggest you join the group and check out the results posted within

Claudio
07-12-2017, 08:11 PM
@Claudio

Edit, appears I'm unable to directly link the Facebook group url here. I suggest you join the group and check out the results posted within

"LivingDNA user group"
Will have a look for on Facebook..
Cheers for the assist 🙂👍

sktibo
07-12-2017, 09:41 PM
"LivingDNA user group"
Will have a look for on Facebook..
Cheers for the assist ����

"Living DNA Users"
is the name of the group, hope to see you on there

MatAust21
07-14-2017, 06:44 PM
I am part northern Italian. I also have a lot of German ancestry, and considerable Polish as well.

Overall, I think Living DNA did a good job regarding my Italian ancestry. The Italian values, as well as the Aegean percentage are surely representative for it. Maybe the French percentage as well.

Their biggest problem, in my opinion, is the way they see all northwestern Europeans as British. They assigned my German ancestry as British.

I'll be attaching my results here:

vettor
07-14-2017, 07:33 PM
I am part northern Italian. I also have a lot of German ancestry, and considerable Polish as well.

Overall, I think Living DNA did a good job regarding my Italian ancestry. The Italian values, as well as the Aegean percentage are surely representative for it. Maybe the French percentage as well.

Their biggest problem, in my opinion, is the way they see all northwestern Europeans as British. They assigned my German ancestry as British.

I'll be attaching my results here:

Is livingdna worth it for a north-italian with a german mix ?

I ask , because my registry documents state ( my paternal line only )

~1200AD in Ravensburg - wurttemburg Germany
~1400 in Dermulo - trentino Italy
~1650 to today in Treviso province , Veneto Italy

greerpalmer
07-14-2017, 09:44 PM

I would say yes, long term but it may be a while until you get results you are truly happy with. In general, I would say the fact that living DNA attempts to break up Italian DNA is a plus versus most commercial products that list Italians as "Italian," or "Southern European" makes Living DNA a smart choice for Italians.

Chances are your German lines will not show in the current living DNA models. Many Germanic people receive some "French" or "German" but the majority of germanic DNA gets clumped in with Southeast English or East Anglia regions since their UK databases are so strong. I'm 25-50% Germanic mostly from Germany, but also France, Luxembourg, Switzerland and Poland. I get 0% German and 1.2% Iberian, 2.3% Tuscany & 1.2% North Italian, which kind of makes sense seeing as the "North Italian" portion covers a good chunk of Switzerland.

The good news is living DNA is currently working on update that would be the most comprehensive study of German DNA breaking it into 20 modern regions including Wurttemburg and 5 historical regions. This is anthropologically a genius way to do things and will definitely help delineate the complexities of Central/North European genetics. https://www.livingdna.com/en-us/german-dna-research-project

EDIT: I will point out unlike some other commercial services that look for "ancient" DNA, living DNA looks back approximately 10 generations since they source their database on modern populations with paper record back a few generations. If your Germanic if far removed it may be difficult to trace, or may be part of the modern Italian genetic pool.

MatAust21
07-15-2017, 05:24 PM

I ask , because my registry documents state ( my paternal line only )

~1200AD in Ravensburg - wurttemburg Germany
~1400 in Dermulo - trentino Italy
~1650 to today in Treviso province , Veneto Italy

I am satisfied with my results so far. If they can accurately pinpoint my German ancestry after collecting some more samples from Central Europe, then I will be very happy.

I am not sure if they would be able to tell you have some Northern European ancestry if your Germanic ancestors moved to Italy many generations ago, however.

Larth
07-15-2017, 06:09 PM
I am not sure if they would be able to tell you have some Northern European ancestry if your Germanic ancestors moved to Italy many generations ago, however.

Yep, our genome comes from ancestors who lived no more than two/three centuries ago.

asbr
07-18-2017, 11:43 AM
Check out my thread:
http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?10908-Crazy-Discrepancy-on-Living-DNA-vs-23andme

I have a fair amount of Italian ancestry.
Mom is a mix of: Mostly Portuguese and Spaniards, together with Italian, German and Native American
Dad is: 3/4s Italian (Tuscany, Tyrol and Lombardia), 1/4 Portuguese

Given this mix of Northen Italy + Iberian + Some Germanic, I got the following breakdown:
58.2% French, 9.5% South Italy, 8.2% Tuscany, +12.1% from other European regions, 6.3% Native American

Pretty interesting outcome in my opinion, but it seems like there are some real challenges in discerning Western Europe populations, that is, UK, France, Germany, Italy and Iberia. Often the test assigns you a completely different population from what you were supposed to be cause they are so mixed among each other.

Xtian
07-18-2017, 01:40 PM
Im Russian and I get nearly 9% Italian ancestry split between Tuscan and South Italy.
I have no idea why, but there is a lack of Russians who have done the test so I dont know if its normal or not.

I have been in Gedmatch Jtest and dont return any Jewish either.

JohnHowellsTyrfro
07-18-2017, 05:08 PM
Im Russian and I get nearly 9% Italian ancestry split between Tuscan and South Italy.
I have no idea why, but there is a lack of Russians who have done the test so I dont know if its normal or not.

I have been in Gedmatch Jtest and dont return any Jewish either.

I think quite a lot of British testers get Tuscan which doesn't actually seem very probable. Best guess "Tuscan" looks closest to some regional population mix elsewhere or could reflect something "Ancient". I get Basque, SW Asia, Sardinia for the latter reason I think.

JohnHowellsTyrfro
07-18-2017, 05:14 PM
Yep, our genome comes from ancestors who lived no more than two/three centuries ago.

I don't think that rules out much older DNA signatures in our results. As I just mentioned I have British ancestry but get Basque, SW Asian and even Sardinian which I understand are genetically relatively isolated populations which have an "older" DNA signature that is closer to early populations, including maybe Neolithic. Otzi the iceman's DNA is closest to modern Sardinians I understand.

USA4981
07-21-2017, 05:08 PM
I have North Italy 5.1%, Sardinia 2.5%, Aegean 1.5%, and East Balkans 1.2% and my mtDNA is W4a1. Where is W4a1 from?
My Results:
Europe 100%
Great Britain and Ireland 89.7%
Southeast England 42.6%
Southwest Scotland and Northern Ireland 14.7%
South Central England 5.1%
Cumbria 4.2%
South England 3.9%
North Yorkshire 3.3%
South Wales 3%
Lincolnshire 3%
East Anglia 2.9%
Cornwall 2.7%
Northwest Scotland 1.6%
South Yorkshire 1.4%
Devon 1.2%
Europe (South) 9.1%
North Italy 5.1%
Sardinia 2.5%
Aegean 1.5%
Europe (East) 1.2%
East Balkans 1.2%

My Sister Stephanie's Results:
Europe 100%
Great Britain and Ireland 92.3%
Southeast England 36.7%
Southwest Scotland and Northern Ireland 15.1%
Lincolnshire 7.8%
Cumbria 5.6%
South Central England 5.2%
South Wales 4.5%
Cornwall 4.1%
South England 3.8%
South Yorkshire 2.7%
North Yorkshire 1.9%
Devon 1.9%
Aberdeenshire 1.6%
Orkney 1.3%
Europe (South) 7.7%
North Italy 6.4%
Sardinia 1.3%

We are twins.

Pylsteen
07-21-2017, 06:08 PM
I have North Italy 5.1%, Sardinia 2.5%, Aegean 1.5%, and East Balkans 1.2% and my mtDNA is W4a1. Where is W4a1 from?

Hello, not many W's on here.. this website (http://www.thecid.com) is the best one i think about haplogroup W.
About W4a1, it tells the following:

"W4a1, which originated in Scandinavia around 3,000 years ago. A major subgroup with the 16286 mutation appeared in Scandinavia 2000 years ago. This subgroup is found in Sweden, Norway, Denmark, and the British Isles. Single results are from Poland and the Netherlands. The timing and distribution of the branches indicates a clear signal related to the expansion of the Vikings in historical times. It is most often reported from Scotland and the northern areas of England, again connecting it to the Viking settlement of Britain."

Before that, it would likely have spread from the central Asian steppes (possibly with the Indo-Europeans), eventually coming from the neighbourhood of Turkmenistan. Other sister branches split off there, which became widespread in Pakistan and India. Because subbranches like W1 and some W3 are popular there, LivingDNA gives us a story about the Indus civilization; this story only suits those branches though, and is not representative for the whole haplogroup W.

Larth
07-21-2017, 06:13 PM
I think quite a lot of British testers get Tuscan which doesn't actually seem very probable. Best guess "Tuscan" looks closest to some regional population mix elsewhere or could reflect something "Ancient". I get Basque, SW Asia, Sardinia for the latter reason I think.

It's obviously not recent Tuscan ancestry.

USA4981
07-22-2017, 05:48 PM
Thank you, Pylsteen .
W-C194T is also on my report.

Nino90
12-19-2018, 12:43 PM
Remove.

Nino90
12-19-2018, 12:43 PM
I uploaded my 23andme v5

I am just part italian(37.5%)

euromutt
12-19-2018, 01:47 PM
I am half Italian with the other half of my ancestry being from France and the British Isles.
If you combine the Europe South and the Near East (4.6%) that they assigned me they're not terribly far off.

Standard Mode

Europe 95.4%

Europe (South) 40%
-South Italy 18.4%
-North Italy 12.4%
-Tuscany 7%
-Aegean 2.3%

Great Britain and Ireland 46.2%
-Lincolnshire 8.7%
-Devon 6.6%
-Northwest England 6.2%
-Cornwall 5.2%
-Central England 3.6%
-Southeast England 3.1%
-Aberdeenshire 2.2%
-South Yorkshire 1.9%
-East Anglia 1.5%
-Cumbria 1.4%
-South England 1.2%
-Ireland 1.2%
-Northumbria 1%

Great Britain and Ireland (unassigned) 2.4%

Europe (North and West) 6.7%
-France 6.7%

Europe (unassigned) 2.5%

Near East 4.6%
-Kurdish 1.7%
-North Turkey 1.7%
-Iran 1.1%

Nino90
12-19-2018, 02:57 PM
Thank you for sharing. I should have uploaded my converted 23andme V3 file. It gives me better results most of the times.
Interesting is that for once got Tuscan. In most calculators and sites I got Iberian or North Italian / Piedmont / Aosta valley for my Italian part.

Thracian88
12-19-2018, 03:12 PM
I am not Italian but livingDNA gave 23.2% Tuscany. 23andMe also gave me 6.8% and Italy possible match below Italian section.

euromutt
12-19-2018, 04:45 PM
Thank you for sharing. I should have uploaded my converted 23andme V3 file. It gives me better results most of the times.
Interesting is that for once got Tuscan. In most calculators and sites I got Iberian or North Italian / Piedmont / Aosta valley for my Italian part.

I can't recall if you've shared elsewhere, but do you know where in Italy your family originated from? Which result reflects your known ancestry better as far as drilling it down?

My family is from Southern Italy so my 12.4% Northern Italian is definitely not recent if it is somehow correct.

Nino90
12-19-2018, 05:00 PM
I can't recall if you've shared elsewhere, but do you know where in Italy your family originated from? Which result reflects your known ancestry better as far as drilling it down?

My family is from Southern Italy so my 12.4% Northern Italian is definitely not recent if it is somehow correct.

My great grandfather was from North Tuscany. In the beginning of the Apennines. From around the same area as my grandmothers father.
People from that area don't look very typical Tuscan. Some are much more similar to North Italians than Mediterranean-like Central Italians.
And it seems my Italian DNA is mainly from North Italy. Please check my signature and the link to my thread where I share my own DNA + my Fathers who is 75% Italian.

As for your North Italian. Because you are mixed the DNA-test sometimes shortcut and mix your South Italian with North West European to get North Italian like admixture.
Possible same for me .

Nino90
12-19-2018, 05:01 PM
I am not Italian but livingDNA gave 23.2% Tuscany. 23andMe also gave me 6.8% and Italy possible match below Italian section.

I guess you are from Balkan or Greece (Thracian)?

Thracian88
12-20-2018, 07:19 PM
I guess you are from Balkan or Greece (Thracian)?

Yes, I am. I guess it is normal for this region.

RobinBMc
12-21-2018, 01:29 AM
My dad is half Italian (southern) and his LivingDNA results (raw data uploaded from AncestryDNA though) are 56.9% North Italy. That's close to 50%, although his ancestry is not from the north. He also got 11% Aegean and 4.4% North Turkey, but if those are coming from his Italian ancestry (he has no other southern European ancestry, his other 50% is German/Scots-Irish), then it's way too much over 50%.

I'm about 32% Italian (I had one Italian grandparent but I know from my other grandparent having actually tested how much DNA I got from both of them, and I got more than the 25% "on paper" from my Italian grandparent), and I took the actual LivingDNA test, no upload, and got 17.3% North Italy, 10.4% Tuscany, and 4.4% Aegean, adding up to 30.2%, which is very close to my expected 32%. I just don't know why all the North Italy results when research going back to the late 1700s suggest an entirely southern ancestry, plus my Italian family have always looked more southern (dark hair, eyes, skin, etc).

johnthe
12-29-2018, 01:52 AM
For Italians it seems that Living DNA assigns a larger than normal percentage to the Caucasus and middle East. 23andme or ancestry DNA are better options

mancio78
01-05-2019, 10:51 PM
I have one full Italian grandparent from south-central Italy but Living dna gave me only 7.9% Europe South split between Tuscany and Sardinia. Ancestry DNA gives me 27% Europe South and DNA Land gives me 18% South European, 8% Sardinian and 5% Ashkenazi.

It seems to me that Living DNA isnít a reliable test for Italians.