PDA

View Full Version : U106>Z381>L48>Z9>Z30>Z349>Z2>S15510>Y7378

Wheal
07-14-2017, 06:21 PM
Hellooooo out there.... I am in this hole, and I think all alone.

Wing Genealogist
07-15-2017, 11:35 AM
First of all, if you have tested at FTDNA and have not already done so, I would strongly recommend you join their R-U106 Haplogroup Project https://www.familytreedna.com/public/U106

In addition, I would recommend you join the U106 Yahoo discussion group by sending an email to: [email protected] This is a large and active forum and over 99% of U106 discussions happen over there.

The R-U106 Project currently lists only one individual at that clade level, but Y7378 does have a cascade of subclades below it. With the limited Big Y testing done to date, we have estimated the age of this clade as: 1223 BC (with a 95% Confidence Interval between 1946 BC — 558 BC)

Wheal
10-29-2017, 01:10 AM
Yes, my dad is that one individual. I am trying to get my brothers and uncle to also test, but no luck yet.

Wing Genealogist
10-29-2017, 10:35 AM
Testing very close relatives (such as sons and brothers of the original tester) really doesn't give you much information. Even if they took the Big Y test, they would more than likely not have any differences from your father. And even if (by chance) they did have any differences, it still would not mean all that much (but some studies do look for these differences within a single generation to help estimate the mutation rate).

IMHO (In my humble opinion), it would be much better to use funds to test either distant relatives, or people whose STR markers are a close match to your father (but you don't know whether/how they are related).

To give you an idea about testing distant relatives: I am the Genealogist for the Wing Family of America, Inc. (WFA, http://www.wingfamily.org) The family traces the descendants of Rev. John Winge (1584-1630) & his wife, Deborah Bachiler (c1590-p1640). John & Deborah had 4 sons. John died in England, but the widow Deborah brought her four sons to New England in 1632 (along with her father, the aged Rev. Stephen Bachiler). One of the four sons returned back to England, and his line is known to have died out. The other three sons all left descendants. I had one male Wing from each of these three brothers take the Big Y test and used their results to look at differences. I found 13 SNPs these three Wings had but not yet found in any other family and I found 7, 4 & 3 SNPs each had which was not shared with the other Wings.

What this shows is that since the common ancestor (born in 1584) there had been 7, 4 & 3 SNPs found in each line (12th and 13th generation). Thus, within these three individuals a SNP was found within their line roughly every 3-4 generations. It must be remembered that SNP mutations are random events, so it is always possible (at least in theory) for more than one SNP to have occurred between father and son and it is always possible to find no SNP differences for several generations.

Using random mutations to track the various lines is really a fairly poor tool, but it is the only tool we have.

Wheal
10-29-2017, 06:50 PM
In his surname project he has no matches with a common ancestor. Most trace their surname to Switzerland, his line was from Baden. The 4 brothers who also migrated over a 10 year period have no living male descendants that I have been able locate.

It is my thought the one brother who came first, supposedly with another family after he learned the 'butcher' trade in Switzerland took the name of the family he stayed with. The other brothers then also took that name. The only reason that I question that is one story is that the first brother came at the age of 6 to Ohio and later talks about a couple of years later he opened a butcher shop in Kentucky and then in Illinois. Not likely an 8 yo would open a butcher shop. But he could have taken the name of the family he came to the US with, or was apprenticed with at an early age. But, they list their father's name as the same in Germany.

Wing Genealogist
10-29-2017, 07:40 PM
It would not even have to be a person with the same surname. You can usually check the closest Y-DNA matches a kit has via their FTDNA page. I say usually, because sometimes the matches page "times out" and you receive an error message.

As a Project administrator (for the U106 Haplogroup Project) I am able to go in and look at your matches. I note where you currently don't have any matches at the 67, 37, or 25 STR marker level. You do match a Beecher at the 12 marker level. He has done 37 STR markers so you don't match at 25 or 37 STRs. You have the option of emailing him and either offer to help pay for (or pay for all) of SNP test. It is definitely a bit of a gamble (given the fact he only matches at 12 markers) but he may well end up being a distant relative and Y7378+.

In order to help pay for someone else's test, you would need to work with a project administrator, and both you and the other individual would have to be members of the project. The U106 project would be happy to assist with this, but you would need to have this match join the U106 Project first.