PDA

View Full Version : Results aren't accurate

annalubov
07-15-2017, 07:30 AM
Does anyone see that results aren't accurate. Why would Mongolian ancestry be under Chinese? Or Uyghur?

Mongolia first of all is different country and Uyghur population is of Turkic ancestry only.

Dorsetshireman
07-15-2017, 08:43 AM
Historically Mongolia was part of China until the early twentieth century, and even today there are ethnic Mongols who live in Inner Mongolia, China, although the region now has a Han Chinese majority. So I suppose they're thinking Chinese in the national sense, rather than ethnic.

annalubov
07-15-2017, 08:52 AM
[QUOTE=Dorsetshireman;260815]Historically Mongolia was part of China until the early twentieth century, and even today there are ethnic Mongols who live in Inner Mongolia, China, although the region now has a Han Chinese majority. So I suppose they're thinking Chinese in the national sense, rather than ethnic.[/QUOTE
But they aren't Chinese. Mongolians have their own rich history and culture that are different of Chinese. It is a separate country and I am sure Mongolians would not liked to be called Chinese.

Cofgene
07-15-2017, 11:34 AM
It comes back to reference populations. If Mongolians haven't been formally sampled and included as a reference then ones results will be shifted to other references within the data set. The results are accurate with respect to what the sample was referenced against.

Dorsetshireman
07-15-2017, 12:34 PM
Historically Mongolia was part of China until the early twentieth century, and even today there are ethnic Mongols who live in Inner Mongolia, China, although the region now has a Han Chinese majority. So I suppose they're thinking Chinese in the national sense, rather than ethnic.
But they aren't Chinese. Mongolians have their own rich history and culture that are different of Chinese. It is a separate country and I am sure Mongolians would not liked to be called Chinese.

Eh, not saying I agree with the Chinese perspective, just explaining why they might class Mongolian under that bracket.

serena297
08-06-2017, 04:09 AM
Wegene is kind of hit or miss. Did you find it helpful in your case?

Parameswara
08-07-2017, 06:14 AM
Does anyone see that results aren't accurate. Why would Mongolian ancestry be under Chinese? Or Uyghur?

Mongolia first of all is different country and Uyghur population is of Turkic ancestry only.

There is Inner Mongolia (Nei Menggu) province in China which is autonomous province. There are approximately 5.8 million people classified as ethnic Mongols living in China. Most of them live in Inner Mongolia, Northeast China, Xinjiang, etc. The Mongol population in China is over twice that of the sovereign state of Mongolia. Modern China is heterogenous country with many ethnics and Mongol (Menggu) is one of those 56 officiaL ethnics there. And beside the "Mongol" ethnicity in China, there are more Mongolian who speak Mongolic languages who has their own ethnicity like Dongxiang, Monguor, Daur, and Bonan.

TonyC
08-12-2017, 12:53 PM
I've pretty much run the gamut with every DNA testing platform and ran raw data through all available calculators on gedmatch and there has never been any (even remote at that) mention of Mideast ancestry but somehow Wegene has me at 9% Egyptian. They've got a long way to go.

Searcher
09-11-2017, 08:09 PM
I do not have any granparents or great-grandparents who are 100% Chinese/Southeast Asian but Wegene seems to think I'm 75% South Asian.