PDA

View Full Version : Why does LivingDNA always seems to find South Asian?

lilac9
07-16-2017, 05:36 PM
I've noticed that most results seem to have a small percentage of South Asian as did mine did at 1.1% Sindhi. I don't get South Asian anywhere else.

greerpalmer
07-16-2017, 05:43 PM
I think it is partially how they classify "South Asian" many of the populations included in their South Asian group are considered Middle Eastern or West Asian in other products. I think the fact that they also have more population groups within this small region make it more likely to match whether correct or not. Most people I've seen lose their south asian populations on standard or cautious mode. Mine becomes more general with a "-related" group. We'll have to see how the algorithm evolves over time.

JohnHowellsTyrfro
07-16-2017, 06:15 PM
I've noticed that most results seem to have a small percentage of South Asian as did mine did at 1.1% Sindhi. I don't get South Asian anywhere else.

I've had South Asian on various tests, Living DNA too, Kalash, Baloch, Burusho etc. My ancestry is all British as far as I know.
I think isolated populations have higher proportions of early ancestry DNA-wise. I tend to get Basque and Sardinian for the same reason I think
I also get Turkic or Steppe Turkic on different calculators. Why I get these, I just don't know, but I don't think it is at all recent. John

evon
07-16-2017, 06:30 PM
I would guess it is a remnant of the old problem that early admixture calculations had, and that it can be considered Eurasian rather than south Asian, possibly something to do with the Indo-European language spread, or the Neolithic.. ANE is also a candidate of course, but that usually comes out as Native American or north Asian in Europeans..

lilac9
07-16-2017, 06:30 PM
I think it is partially how they classify "South Asian" many of the populations included in their South Asian group are considered Middle Eastern or West Asian in other products. I think the fact that they also have more population groups within this small region make it more likely to match whether correct or not. Most people I've seen lose their south asian populations on standard or cautious mode. Mine becomes more general with a "-related" group. We'll have to see how the algorithm evolves over time.

I also lose the Sindhi on standard and cautious modes. It just goes to World unassigned.

lilac9
07-16-2017, 06:32 PM
I would guess it is a remnant of the old problem that early admixture calculations had, and that it can be considered Eurasian rather than south Asian, possibly something to do with the Indo-European language spread, or the Neolithic.. ANE is also a candidate of course, but that usually comes out as Native American or north Asian in Europeans..

I was wondering the same thing since I do have Native-American and I usually get 9% of it unlike the 7.8% I got on LivingDNA.

evon
07-16-2017, 06:37 PM
I was wondering the same thing since I do have Native-American and I usually get 9% of it unlike the 7.8% I got on LivingDNA.

You could ask LivingDNA about it, but I think most testers are aware that this is, in most cases, not actual south Asian ancestry.. But yes they should inform about this "issue" on their page...

greerpalmer
07-17-2017, 02:38 AM
I have put an inquiry in with living DNA regarding population samples and sizes. I will share when I hear back.

Since my Pashtun remains "Pashtun-related" in all 3 modes, I'm curious if it isn't due to a lack of samples in the database for another population and not due to a lack of Pashtun samples.

JohnHowellsTyrfro
07-17-2017, 06:00 AM

That makes sense, I get around 1% Native American on some calculators and Living DNA gives me about 1% Sardinian. Strange that it shows through in some "modern" people and not others. John

JohnHowellsTyrfro
07-17-2017, 06:01 AM

That percentage looks quite high to be just a remnant of something very early? John

ollie444
07-17-2017, 11:09 AM
That makes sense, I get around 1% Native American on some calculators and Living DNA gives me about 1% Sardinian. Strange that it shows through in some "modern" people and not others. John

I get 100% British.

JohnHowellsTyrfro
07-17-2017, 12:09 PM
I get 100% British.

Maybe it's specific to certain population groups or just chance. I think maybe it does relate to very early ancestry. These "unexpected" results often seem to relate to genetically isolated (relatively speaking) population groups whose DNA may be closer to early peoples. I understand Otzi's DNA is closest to Sardinians in terms of modern populations. John

ollie444
07-17-2017, 02:09 PM
Maybe it's specific to certain population groups or just chance. I think maybe it does relate to very early ancestry. These "unexpected" results often seem to relate to genetically isolated (relatively speaking) population groups whose DNA may be closer to early peoples. I understand Otzi's DNA is closest to Sardinians in terms of modern populations. John

I wasn't denying this, merely commenting that I have no traces cropping up. I do get some South Asian in my MyHeritage results and my FTDNA results.

greerpalmer
07-19-2017, 03:58 PM
From Living DNA staff:

Unfortunately, even our fine-scale algorithm cannot distinguish between some very genetically similar countries. In these cases, we group them into genetically-distinct clusters that often reflect natural geographical boundaries. In order to clearly distinguish results into more specific regions/countries, sample data fulfilling very specific criteria will have to be collected and included in our reference datasets. This is a process that takes years.

Many populations are themselves formed from the mixture of other populations. Our algorithm will attempt to match you directly to a population/region, where we have it in our reference database. if:
we do not have your region of interest and/or,
we have a low sample size for that region, or,
if there is further population structure within that population/region,
then in the interim, we are likely to assign some ancestry to the regions we do have that contribute to your region of interest.

Please note that we can cannot advise on what your results may reflect, before you take the test, and we cannot currently distinguish which parts of your ancestry come from which side of the family, nor from which generation.

Reference Datasets can be found here: https://www.livingdna.com/en/help-centre/198/which-datasets-provide-living-dna-family-ancestry-breakdown

Based on this response my guess is that the high affinity for South Asian has something to do with a lack of data elsewhere. Maybe someone can elaborate on the sample size for HGDP. Ironically, although I receive 4.1% Pashtun on all 3 modes, both my father and I match with participant kits from the Baloch samples on GEDmatch. These kits of course are anonymous. When I reached out to the individual who hosts these kits on GEDmatch, he offered this: "Some Europeans will have some small percentage of Baloch Kurd Pashtun or Caucuses populations or even North Indian because at least 1/3 of all these populations ancestry is shared with European groups via the Caspian Pontic Steppe. Usually these percentages are 3% or less for Europeans."

ollie444
07-19-2017, 04:05 PM
From Living DNA staff:

Please note that we can cannot advise on what your results may reflect, before you take the test, and we cannot currently distinguish which parts of your ancestry come from which side of the family, nor from which generation.

Will we ever be able to tell which parts of our ancestry come from which side of the family without testing our parents?

Amerijoe
07-19-2017, 04:24 PM
Will we ever be able to tell which parts of our ancestry come from which side of the family without testing our parents?

I'm with you on that one! The difficulty in my case is an unknown father where there are indications of a British mix. My mum is also a British mix. There more than likely is a slight difference in each mix, but with two parents coming from similar genetic pools, how do you separate and assign what to whom? It's still on my wish list.

greerpalmer
07-19-2017, 09:50 PM
Playing with my living DNA results I saw this on MDLP World 22 that I thought was an interesting commentary on why I would show small parts Pashtun on living DNA and more West Asian/European on others. http://www.anthrogenica.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=17620&d=1500500819

Pylsteen
07-19-2017, 09:55 PM
Mm. you and your parents all share Indo-Iranian, that could real then.

greerpalmer
07-19-2017, 10:10 PM
Mm. you and your parents all share Indo-Iranian, that could real then.

I'm not certain what World 22 looks like in most Europeans but I always assumed it skewed toward these central eurasian populations.

Pylsteen
07-19-2017, 10:26 PM
I don't have it; well, here you go:

JohnHowellsTyrfro
07-20-2017, 06:06 AM
From Living DNA staff:

Unfortunately, even our fine-scale algorithm cannot distinguish between some very genetically similar countries. In these cases, we group them into genetically-distinct clusters that often reflect natural geographical boundaries. In order to clearly distinguish results into more specific regions/countries, sample data fulfilling very specific criteria will have to be collected and included in our reference datasets. This is a process that takes years.

Many populations are themselves formed from the mixture of other populations. Our algorithm will attempt to match you directly to a population/region, where we have it in our reference database. if:
we do not have your region of interest and/or,
we have a low sample size for that region, or,
if there is further population structure within that population/region,
then in the interim, we are likely to assign some ancestry to the regions we do have that contribute to your region of interest.

Reference Datasets can be found here: https://www.livingdna.com/en/help-centre/198/which-datasets-provide-living-dna-family-ancestry-breakdown

Based on this response my guess is that the high affinity for South Asian has something to do with a lack of data elsewhere. Maybe someone can elaborate on the sample size for HGDP. Ironically, although I receive 4.1% Pashtun on all 3 modes, both my father and I match with participant kits from the Baloch samples on GEDmatch. These kits of course are anonymous. When I reached out to the individual who hosts these kits on GEDmatch, he offered this: "Some Europeans will have some small percentage of Baloch Kurd Pashtun or Caucuses populations or even North Indian because at least 1/3 of all these populations ancestry is shared with European groups via the Caspian Pontic Steppe. Usually these percentages are 3% or less for Europeans."

Where on Gedmatch would I find these Baloch samples please - are they on the "paid" level that I haven't joined as yet? How close a match do you get?
Actually I think these "oddities" can be quite informative. All LivingDNA and other companies can do is try and match us to the closest modern population, the geography of where these populations are now maybe isn't that relevant in the context of thousands of years of migration.
I've been seeking an answer for my "South Asian" and other odd results for some time and I'm now largely convinced it shows early shared ancestral origins within thousands of years rather than a few hundred years. John

greerpalmer
07-20-2017, 04:07 PM
Where on Gedmatch would I find these Baloch samples please

The best way to find them would be to go on Genesis GEDmatch and search "HDGP" which will be listed in both the name and as testing service for most.

My father actually matches with Burusho, Kalash, Pathan, Uyghur, Brahui and Baloch samples but most are at the 5-6 cM point which is certainly questionable. My mother also matches with a few of these kits all at <6cM.

I match at 12.3 cMs or 5 gens with one kit, making me the closest match. Most of his matches have English or Spanish names which made me think he is admixed, but his admixture results say otherwise.

Population
Pygmy -
West-Asian 31.75
North-European-Mesolithic 1.78
Indo-Tibetan 0.43
Mesoamerican -
Arctic-Amerind -
South-America_Amerind -
Indian 47.21
North-Siberean 2.34
Atlantic_Mediterranean_Neolithic -
Samoedic 2.20
Indo-Iranian 6.81
East-Siberean -
North-East-European 3.49
South-African -
North-Amerind 0.30
Sub-Saharian -
East-South-Asian 3.06
Near_East -
Melanesian 0.63
Paleo-Siberian -
Austronesian -

Pylsteen
07-23-2017, 07:47 PM
I came across the MDLP site (http://magnusducatus.blogspot.nl/2012/09/the-component-maps-of-mdlp-world22.html), and there are some maps there; the Indo-Iranian component is generally confined to the historical Indo-Iranian area, and is in very low levels present in Europe; interestingly it has a higher presence in the Atlantic fringe than in the rest of Europe, and that reminds me of the spread of the "Gedrosian" component of Dodecad K12b (see here (http://www.eupedia.com/europe/autosomal_maps_dodecad.shtml)).

greerpalmer
07-23-2017, 11:42 PM
I came across the MDLP site (http://magnusducatus.blogspot.nl/2012/09/the-component-maps-of-mdlp-world22.html), and there are some maps there; the Indo-Iranian component is generally confined to the historical Indo-Iranian area, and is in very low levels present in Europe; interestingly it has a higher presence in the Atlantic fringe than in the rest of Europe, and that reminds me of the spread of the "Gedrosian" component of Dodecad K12b (see here (http://www.eupedia.com/europe/autosomal_maps_dodecad.shtml)).

Thanks, this definitely helps to clarify "near east" vs "west asia" too.

Solothurn
08-11-2017, 05:19 PM
On LDNA I get: 1.5% Chechnya
Ancestry 1% Caucasus
FTDNA 1% South Central Asia.

I don't know if all the above is 'noise', probably :)

Robert1
08-11-2017, 06:26 PM
In all three modes Living DNA reports 98.7% UK for me and 1.3% Scandinavia. Otherwise there are no trace amounts reported from the rest of the world nor would I expect that (except about 5% of my Southeast England should be German/Netherlands).

Most of my results are from Western England, Northwest Scotland, Wales and Ireland - probably why I did not get those trace amounts that others do.

JerryS.
08-11-2017, 07:25 PM
how does one tell from those pie charts and the like if the admixture is ancient or recent? if you don't know your background, what do they really tell you?

FionnSneachta
08-11-2017, 07:57 PM
I don't get any unusual regions like South Asian except for Scandinavia which was also picked up by Ancestry DNA. All of my LDNA regions are in Ireland 🇮🇪 and Great Britain with that 1.2% Scandinavia.

Jessie
08-12-2017, 06:49 AM
My LivingDNA results is all Britain and Ireland and then 1.4 Chechnya and 1.3 Pashtun. My brother's only non Britain and Ireland result is 9% Scandinavia. I would think with some updates these more exotic results might disappear.

Solothurn
08-15-2017, 01:20 AM
Oh and MyHeritage 1.5% Central Asia :)

On LDNA I get: 1.5% Chechnya
Ancestry 1% Caucasus
FTDNA 1% South Central Asia.

I don't know if all the above is 'noise', probably :)

JerryS.
08-15-2017, 12:41 PM
how does one tell from those pie charts and the like if the admixture is ancient or recent? if you don't know your background, what do they really tell you?

anyone?

JohnHowellsTyrfro
08-15-2017, 04:34 PM
anyone?

I'm not very good at interpreting these things but I would think that the lower percentages are more likely to be ancient (possibly) ,particularly if it is from a place that seems unlikely in terms of recent ancestry. I understand if you are looking at as low as 1% or less, it may not mean anything at all. People refer to it as "noise" by which I assume they mean just part of the general genetic soup.
Maybe someone can give a better explanation.

Capitalis
11-03-2017, 04:22 PM
Hi all,

I'm from South Wales and received my Living DNA results today.

My paper trail ancestry going back four to six generations is as follows:

Great Britain and Ireland 100%
England 55%
-'Southwest England' 53.5% (Devon*, Dorset, Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Somerset, Wiltshire)
-'Northwest England' 1.5% (Lancashire)
Ireland 39% (Counties Cork, Kilkenny, Wicklow; otherwise just recorded as 'Ireland' on census returns)
South Wales 6% (Pembrokeshire)

*I have photographic evidence of one Devon GGG grandmother's non-European ancestry (of unidentified origin).

In comparison, here are my Living DNA 'complete' results:

Great Britain and Ireland 92%
-Southeast England 27.6%
-Devon 15.4%
-East Anglia 7.2%
-Southwest Scotland and Northern Ireland 7.1%
-South England 7%
-South Wales 6.4%
-South Yorkshire 5.3%
-Northwest Scotland 4.9%
-South Central England 3.3%
-Northumbria 2.8%
-South Wales Border 2.6%
-Central England 1.3%
-North Yorkshire 1.1%

Europe (South) 4.5%
-Sardinia 1.7%
-Basque 1.4%
-Tuscany 1.4%

Near East 1.3%
-Kurdish 1.3%

Asia (Central) 1.1%
-Chechnya 1.1%

Asia (South) 1%
-Indian subcontinent 1%

I'm open minded about the results and haven't drawn any firm conclusions as to whether they answer some 'family mysteries'. Any and all comments are welcome.

JohnHowellsTyrfro
11-03-2017, 05:23 PM
Hi all,

England 55%
-'Southwest England' 53.5% (Devon*, Dorset, Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Somerset, Wiltshire)
Ireland 39% (Counties Cork, Kilkenny, Wicklow; otherwise just recorded as 'Ireland' on census returns)

*I have photographic evidence of one Devon GGG grandmother's non-European ancestry (of unidentified origin).

-Southeast England 27.6%
-Devon 15.4%
-East Anglia 7.2%
-South England 7%
-South Wales 6.4%
-South Yorkshire 5.3%
-Northwest Scotland 4.9%
-Northumbria 2.8%
-South Wales Border 2.6%
-Central England 1.3%
-North Yorkshire 1.1%

Europe (South) 4.5%
-Sardinia 1.7%
-Basque 1.4%
-Tuscany 1.4%

Near East 1.3%
-Kurdish 1.3%

Asia (Central) 1.1%
-Chechnya 1.1%

Asia (South) 1%
-Indian subcontinent 1%

I'm open minded about the results and haven't drawn any firm conclusions as to whether they answer some 'family mysteries'. Any and all comments are welcome.

Hello and welcome from a fellow South Walian. :) My known ancestry is mostly in South/Mid Wales and the borders, particularly West Herefordshire.
These are my complete results the lower percentages are not very different from mine. I suspect Basque/Sardinian/Asian etc. may reflect an "early" similar DNA signature as these areas are relatively genetically isolated - but that's just my theory. :) I've heard all sorts of theories about having ancestors from distant places but I think it's just "old" - these small percentages are not that unusual I don't think. I'm no DNA expert but I think we don't inherit DNA from all our ancestors, particularly the further back you go. Maybe someone with more knowledge will comment.

Europe 97.1%
Great Britain and Ireland 94.5%
South Wales Border 59.4%
South Wales 17.4%
North Wales 7.2%
Northwest Scotland 3.4%
Cornwall 3.1%
South Central England 2.8%
Orkney 1.3%
Europe (South) 2.6%
Basque 1.5%
Sardinia 1%
Asia (South) 1.4%
Burusho 1.4%
Asia (Central) 1.4%
Northwest Caucasus 1.4%

Edit : Just a further thought, you may well have foreign ancestry if you have some evidence - I just mean it doesn't appear to be that obvious from your results

avalon
11-03-2017, 10:00 PM
Hi all,

England 55%

-Southeast England 27.6%
-Devon 15.4%
-East Anglia 7.2%
-South England 7%
-South Wales 6.4%
-South Yorkshire 5.3%
-Northwest Scotland 4.9%
-Northumbria 2.8%
-South Wales Border 2.6%
-Central England 1.3%
-North Yorkshire 1.1%

Europe (South) 4.5%
-Sardinia 1.7%
-Basque 1.4%
-Tuscany 1.4%

Near East 1.3%
-Kurdish 1.3%

Asia (Central) 1.1%
-Chechnya 1.1%

Asia (South) 1%
-Indian subcontinent 1%

I notice that your paper trail ancestry shows quite a bit of Irish but this is not reflected in your LivingDNA results. I'm not sure how much you have been following the threads here, but LivingDNA currently only have a small number of Irish samples, so a lot of irish posters here have been receiving very low % for Ireland. They are working on this, so in a year or so you will probably find they update your results with higher irish %.

Capitalis
11-06-2017, 06:55 PM
Hi all,

I spent the weekend exploring the Eurogenes K36 calculator on GED Match and through reading the forums here found that Lukas had posted what I assume are the K36 averages for various populations around Europe. You can find the figures by clicking on a region on the interactive maps (which I'm not allowed to link to).

I took my K36 results into a spreadsheet and compared them with each region that Lukas had created for the UK and Ireland. I highlighted any area where I had either more than twice the amount or less than half the amount of a K36 ancestral grouping in comparison to the various regions of the UK and Ireland.

I hope this makes sense and I would include a link to the PDF of the spreadsheet but again I'm not allowed. It would be great if I could as it's easier to show the results than explain.

From the Eurogenes K36 blog:

An important point to keep in mind is not to take the ancestry proportions too literally. If you're, say, English, and you get an Iberian score of 12% this doesn't actually mean you have recent ancestry from Spain or Portugal. What it means is that 12% of your alleles look typical of the reference samples classified as Iberian, and this figure might only indicate recent Iberian admixture if it's clearly higher than those of other English users.

As an example, I have 22.33% North Sea in comparison to the Welsh average of 18.94%. 22.33 divided by 18.94 gives me 1.18x as much North Sea as the Welsh average. This is the same comparison that I've carried out on the rest of the populations.

My K36 score/Wales average K36 score = factor

North Sea: 22.33/18.94=1.18 [was Fennoscandian]
North Atlantic: 17.38/18.32=0.95
North-East European: 11.27/8.03=1.40
Central European: 9.84/7.10=1.39
Central Mediterranean: 8.81/4.89=1.80 [was Italian]
Basque: 5.49/2.94=1.87
Western European: 5.13/8.54=0.60 [was French]
South Caucasian: 4.67/0.04=116.75* [was Armenian]
North Caucasian: 4.35/3.26=1.33
East Central European: 3.58/5.68=0.63
Eastern European: 2.85/4.93=0.58
Balkan: 2.84/1.98=1.44 [was East-Balkan]
Atlanto-Mediterranean: 0.91/14.08=0.06* [was Iberian]
West Mediterranean: 0.44/0.84=0.52
West Caucasian: 0.12/0.21=0.58

*South Caucasian (Lukas suggested renaming it from Armenian in a forum post) stands out as being unusually high for me versus all UK and Ireland populations, while Atlanto-Mediterranean (Iberian) stands out as being unusually low.

The South Caucasian may well be in line with the small percentages that Living DNA assigned for me to Chechnya and Kurdish. Whether it's recent or ancient ancestry, I agree with John that I can't honestly say.

Capitalis
11-06-2017, 08:04 PM
Hello and welcome from a fellow South Walian. :) My known ancestry is mostly in South/Mid Wales and the borders, particularly West Herefordshire.
These are my complete results the lower percentages are not very different from mine. I suspect Basque/Sardinian/Asian etc. may reflect an "early" similar DNA signature as these areas are relatively genetically isolated - but that's just my theory. :) I've heard all sorts of theories about having ancestors from distant places but I think it's just "old" - these small percentages are not that unusual I don't think. I'm no DNA expert but I think we don't inherit DNA from all our ancestors, particularly the further back you go. Maybe someone with more knowledge will comment.

Europe 97.1%
Great Britain and Ireland 94.5%
South Wales Border 59.4%
South Wales 17.4%
North Wales 7.2%
Northwest Scotland 3.4%
Cornwall 3.1%
South Central England 2.8%
Orkney 1.3%
Europe (South) 2.6%
Basque 1.5%
Sardinia 1%
Asia (South) 1.4%
Burusho 1.4%
Asia (Central) 1.4%
Northwest Caucasus 1.4%

Edit : Just a further thought, you may well have foreign ancestry if you have some evidence - I just mean it doesn't appear to be that obvious from your results

Hi John,

Following on from my post above, I saw that you'd posted your kit number in a previous discussion so I did the same K36 comparison for you versus all UK and Ireland groupings. I've copied the Welsh population comparison below (I'll post the PDF with all UK and Ireland groupings when I've made enough posts to be allowed to post links). Or if you PM me an email address I'll gladly send it on to you.

Your K36 score/Wales average K36 score = factor

North Sea: 19.02/18.94=1.00 [was Fennoscandian]
Atlanto-Mediterranean: 13.53/14.08=0.96 [was Iberian]
North Atlantic: 13.18/18.32=0.72
North-East European: 10.37/8.03=1.29
Central Mediterranean: 10.05/4.89=2.06 [was Italian]
Western European: 9.54/8.54=1.12 [was French]
East Central European: 8.49/5.68=1.49
Central European: 4.06/7.10=0.57
South Central Asian: 2.81/0.07=38.32*
Eastern European: 2.67/4.93=0.54
Basque: 2.26/2.94=0.77
North Caucasian: 2.04/3.26=0.63
Balkan: 1.86/1.98=0.94 [was East-Balkan]
Amerindian: 0.13/0.03=4.59

*Only your South Central Asian score was consistently high versus all UK and Ireland populations.