PDA

View Full Version : GEDMatch Question

Maquiladora
07-16-2017, 11:15 PM
If you took a DNA test with two different companies and uploaded your DNA, would you receive the same results on both? I took a DNA test on FTDNA but have been told that 23andMe and LDNA are far more accurate.

Assuming I decided to take either of those tests, would I still have the same GEDMatch results that I did for FTDNA? Like my Oracle populations? I know you can't take a test at GEDMatch but I was impressed with the specificity of the website.

Sorry if this is a novice question, but I didn't study genetics until a couple months ago.

J1 DYS388=13
07-17-2017, 06:45 AM
My match lists are different. I haven't compared Oracle results.

JerryS.
07-17-2017, 08:56 AM
they will probably be different.

my Ancestry DNA result showed 27% Western European, yet the same raw data loaded to My Heritage does not show any.

Sassoneg
07-17-2017, 12:10 PM
they will probably be different.

my Ancestry DNA result showed 27% Western European, yet the same raw data loaded to My Heritage does not show any.

My Ancestry.com and MyHeritage results were different. 10% Scandinavian vs 32%, respectively. Ancestry gave me overwhelming British and 10% Irish but MyHeritage gave me overwhelming Irish/Scottish/Welsh and almost no English. Most of the immigrants in my tree long ago came from England.

On the broad scale though, they both were accurate in a general north and west European ancestry.

ajc347
07-17-2017, 12:43 PM
Assuming I decided to take either of those tests, would I still have the same GEDMatch results that I did for FTDNA? Like my Oracle populations? I know you can't take a test at GEDMatch but I was impressed with the specificity of the website.

My FTDNA, Ancestry and Living DNA all showed relatively similar admixture results when uploaded to Gedmatch / Gedmatch Genesis.

My FTDNA and Ancestry raw data upload results are now pretty similar on My Heritage as well (they weren't at first, but the recent update appears to have resolved this). :)

Maquiladora
07-17-2017, 06:23 PM
My FTDNA, Ancestry and Living DNA all showed relatively similar admixture results when uploaded to Gedmatch / Gedmatch Genesis.

My FTDNA and Ancestry raw data upload results are now pretty similar on My Heritage as well (they weren't at first, but the recent update appears to have resolved this). :)

Wait, so I can upload my FTDNA data to MyHeritage without any cost? I didn't know that.

ajc347
07-17-2017, 07:15 PM
Wait, so I can upload my FTDNA data to MyHeritage without any cost?

Yep. :)

Here's the link to the upload page: https://www.myheritage.com/dna/upload

Maquiladora
07-17-2017, 09:31 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/l4q83E0RjRSGLXBLO/source.gif

JerryS.
07-18-2017, 12:46 PM
use the GEDmatch calculators, oracle and oracle 4 from Dodecad V3, Eurogenes EUtest..... those seem to be the best for European descendants.