PDA

View Full Version : Very Disappointed in MyHeritage

Maquiladora
07-19-2017, 10:28 PM
I was told that MyHeritage is very reliable and that you could upload your DNA to it. So I downloaded my FTDNA data as I was told, and I waited 2 days before getting my results back. And this is what I got:

73.5% English
13.2% Greek
6.4% Italian
4.9% North African
2% West Asian

This isn't right at all. I have a significant amount of Central European ancestry, mostly southern German. I'm also Irish and Scottish, and there is no way that I'm 1/8 Greek, given that my great-grandpa was Italian (maybe Sephardi, according to FTDNA, who knows? DNA testing stresses me out... :( ) Also, I'm not North African anywhere after 1800, as far as I know.

I have no idea if this is due to the fact that MyHeritage is beta or that I uploaded it from another testing site, but I expected much better from them. Did anyone else have this problem?

Targum
07-19-2017, 10:42 PM
I was told that MyHeritage is very reliable and that you could upload your DNA to it. So I downloaded my FTDNA data as I was told, and I waited 2 days before getting my results back. And this is what I got:

73.5% English
13.2% Greek
6.4% Italian
4.9% North African
2% West Asian

This isn't right at all. I have a significant amount of Central European ancestry, mostly southern German. I'm also Irish and Scottish, and there is no way that I'm 1/8 Greek, given that my great-grandpa was Italian (maybe Sephardi, according to FTDNA, who knows? DNA testing stresses me out... :( ) Also, I'm not North African anywhere after 1800, as far as I know.

I have no idea if this is due to the fact that MyHeritage is beta or that I uploaded it from another testing site, but I expected much better from them. Did anyone else have this problem?

Yeah I also uploaded from another testing sites and the two minor results I was given border on ridiculous:

Europe
98.9%
Ashkenazi Jewish
97.0%
Ashkenazi Jewish
97.0%
North and West Europe
1.9%
Irish, Scottish, and Welsh
1.9%
Asia
1.1%
Central Asia
1.1%
Central Asian
1.1%

ajc347
07-19-2017, 10:50 PM
My initial results with My Heritage were not the best (with my FTDNA and Ancestry kits showing some pretty wide differences between them). The results were upgraded recently and are now within 5% of each other on the listed population percentages.

They do show a similar amount of Greek to your results and also add in some Finnish (neither of which I have any known ancestral link to). Interestingly, though, my Ancestry results also show a small amount of Greek ancestry (so they well have picked something up from a long time ago after all).

My results are posted here:

http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?9093-MyHeritage-DNA&p=260152&viewfull=1#post260152
http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?9093-MyHeritage-DNA&p=260164&viewfull=1#post260164

Whilst I don't think My Heritage results are the best out there, they have proven to be more accurate than the results I got from DNA Land (which increased the Finnish percentage even more).

The one saving grace is that the upload is free and whilst the results aren't the best, at least there is no financial cost involved in uploading data files to their site.

Maquiladora
07-20-2017, 02:08 AM
Is it possible to upgrade from the beta, because I think that might have been one of the major problems?

Trixster
07-30-2017, 10:09 PM
Is it possible to upgrade from the beta, because I think that might have been one of the major problems?
Yes it is. When I tested mine back in March they were using 9.0. But I switched the mode 99.5 since I just tested my family and they are not now using. The results are now super vague. I'm not really sure I like it very much

leonardo
07-30-2017, 11:08 PM
I received another email today from them, encouraging me to upload my tests. I thought about doing it, then recalled that there have been a few posts on this site expressing similar disappointment. At this time, it does seem like it is worth the effort to upload mine and my mother's for sub par results.

Wing Genealogist
07-30-2017, 11:51 PM
I uploaded my 23andMe results to MyHeritage. The ethnicity breakdown was WAY off (stating I only have 2.3% English ancestry when other autosomal results show 60-70% English).

But I hit pay-dirt on my matches. My closest match is a first cousin to my maternal grandfather. Am I correct that MyHeritage also lacks a Chromosome Browser? I was unable to find one today (when my results came in).

jjensen6
08-12-2017, 07:17 PM
I'd say definitely check which version you're using with myheritage.

This is because, they were the very first I tested with. They gave me these results (0.9 beta):

Europe 100%
British and Irish 60.5%
Balkan 32.2%
Ashkenazi Jewish 7.3%

When I switch to 0.95 beta, here are the results:
Europe 99.3%
North and West Europe
-North and West European 69.5%
-Scandinavian 9.6%
-Irish, Scottish and Welsh 2.7%
Balkan 10.9%
Greek 4%
Ashkenazi Jewish 2.6%

Asia
West Asia 0.7%

Contrast this with my uploaded Ancestry raw data

Europe
North and West Europe
-North and West European 65.2%
-Scandinavian 12.7%
-Irish, Scottish and Welsh 2.3%
Balkan 10.2%
Ashkenazi Jewish 2.4%

Asia
West Asian 7.2%

The Ancestry results (minus the ranges, which only Italy/Greece come up as concrete) are in my signature.

JerryS.
08-12-2017, 09:04 PM
if your gr. grandpa was Italian, don't you think the Greek and other Mediterranean rim admixtures could be part of that? Italy has been influence by many other people i.e. North/Northwest Africans (Barbary coast), Greeks, Albanians (both bring Balkan) the Middle East (lots of jewish in that), Germans (Lombards), French (Gauls), Spanish (Iberian).... Italian DNA did not cease to evolve with the Romans.

p.s. upload raw data to GEDmatch, its free. there are many calculators there and while each is slanted towards one way or the other, they have some that could be spot on for you.