PDA

View Full Version : Spanish & Hispanic subforum

Shadogowah
07-24-2017, 08:00 AM
Hello all,

After having several interesting conversations around population genetics in the context of medieval Spain and other topics around Spain and Hispanic America in subforums that had nothing to do with the subject, I was wondering if it is possible to have an specific subforum for them. It would also appeal those Spanish-Speaking people interested in genetic genealogy that aren't fluent in English.

However, taking into consideration the big amount of hispanics in USA that haven't got Spanish as first language, I'd like it to be mostly bilingual and allow the use of both Spanish and English and even other Iberian or native american languages.

(Actually I find surprising that such a space hasn't been requested yet)

DMXX
07-24-2017, 09:56 AM
Hi,

We did have a Spanish sub-forum for at least a year. Unfortunately, it wasn't very active. The administration decided to withdraw it from public viewing.

If you are interested in actively contributing to the section and if other members are also willing to, we'll consider re-opening it.

Members - Please give this post a "thanks" if you're interested!

Shadogowah
07-24-2017, 10:50 AM
Hi,

We did have a Spanish sub-forum for at least a year. Unfortunately, it wasn't very active. The administration decided to withdraw it from public viewing.

If you are interested in actively contributing to the section and if other members are also willing to, we'll consider re-opening it.

Members - Please give this post a "thanks" if you're interested!

Thanks DMXX. I didn't know there was already a subforum for it in the past.

I am actually interested and I think I am not the only one.

DMXX
07-24-2017, 11:34 AM
Thanks DMXX. I didn't know there was already a subforum for it in the past.

I am actually interested and I think I am not the only one.

No problem! We have a handful of old International Area subsections that have been retired due to complete inactivity. Needless clutter on the index.

That being said, we're aware times change, and we are very happy to provide a supply where there is demand.

Vicmalaga
10-17-2017, 08:41 PM
I'm new in Anthrogenica and DNA investigation, and since I started this is the type of forum I've been trying to find. I am sure it will be useful for other Brazilians too. As for language, I personally find appropriated a multi-lingual thread. Many don't write in Spanish but are able to read, and also it wouldn't rule out those who express better in Spanish. And we can always find help to go from one language to another.

I'm on a search for my granfather's family, from Málaga, and we have a suspicion the family changed their names when emigrated to Brazil, so DNA is my main resource - although I still don't know what I'm doing.

SuperCapitalista
10-19-2017, 12:17 PM
Prefer English but would visit one in Spanish if it was created.

Shadogowah
10-19-2017, 01:45 PM
Prefer English but would visit one in Spanish if it was created.

In my first post:

Hello all,

After having several interesting conversations around population genetics in the context of medieval Spain and other topics around Spain and Hispanic America in subforums that had nothing to do with the subject, I was wondering if it is possible to have an specific subforum for them. It would also appeal those Spanish-Speaking people interested in genetic genealogy that aren't fluent in English.

However, taking into consideration the big amount of hispanics in USA that haven't got Spanish as first language, I'd like it to be mostly bilingual and allow the use of both Spanish and English and even other Iberian or native american languages.

(Actually I find surprising that such a space hasn't been requested yet)

Thus, both.

AJL
10-19-2017, 02:13 PM
I'm new in Anthrogenica and DNA investigation, and since I started this is the type of forum I've been trying to find. I am sure it will be useful for other Brazilians too. As for language, I personally find appropriated a multi-lingual thread. Many don't write in Spanish but are able to read, and also it wouldn't rule out those who express better in Spanish. And we can always find help to go from one language to another.

I'm on a search for my granfather's family, from Málaga, and we have a suspicion the family changed their names when emigrated to Brazil, so DNA is my main resource - although I still don't know what I'm doing.

Our Portuguese section is certainly a fair bit busier than our Spanish section ever was:

http://www.anthrogenica.com/forumdisplay.php?179-Portuguese

That being said, a bilingual section might attract more activity, because there are a large number of 2nd/3rd generation Americans and beyond with Spanish roots.

Vicmalaga
10-19-2017, 11:55 PM
Our Portuguese section is certainly a fair bit busier than our Spanish section ever was:

http://www.anthrogenica.com/forumdisplay.php?179-Portuguese

That being said, a bilingual section might attract more activity, because there are a large number of 2nd/3rd generation Americans and beyond with Spanish roots.

Thanks for the link to the Portuguese thread, it is useful to me, but as I said, I'm looking for my Spanish side of the family. I find many resources on Portugal, but surprisingly not much on Spain. I hope more people get to know about this forum so we can have more exchange on Spain.

djvnet
10-20-2017, 04:51 PM
Same here - new to Anthrogenica and hoping it will help me learn how to determine how my clan made it to Spain...

Jaime Conde
10-28-2017, 12:42 AM
Thanks

Shadogowah
10-28-2017, 05:56 PM
How many "Thanks" do we need?

DMXX
10-29-2017, 02:08 AM
I think the "Thanks" are spilling over the sides now!

We have heard our community. An announcement will be made in the coming days, pending the securing of additional oversight for the section.