PDA

View Full Version : My living DNA result (Northwestern french)

Tolan
07-25-2017, 10:22 AM
I am not surprised by the results since I knew that French DNA was badly recognized by Living DNA!
A large part goes to the British Isles and the other part to southern Europe.

If I did this test, it was to know wich British regions, my DNA was the closest.
So, it is the South of England that comes first, with also a few Irish.
I expected to see a little more Wales ...

Complete:
http://gen3553.pagesperso-orange.fr/ADN/autosomal/Living-Complete.png
http://gen3553.pagesperso-orange.fr/ADN/autosomal/Living-Complete.png

Cautious:
http://gen3553.pagesperso-orange.fr/ADN/autosomal/Living-Cautious.png
http://gen3553.pagesperso-orange.fr/ADN/autosomal/Living-Cautious.png

nuplix
07-25-2017, 10:36 AM
Nice; congratulations!

07-25-2017, 10:39 AM
Hey Tolan, its nice to see some Breton results on here from LDNA, I always wondered what such a result might be for a Breton, I suppose it might be showing you which areas your Breton ancestors inhabited in Britannia before migrating to Armornica.
Sort of makes sense really, that most of them would have been from the South of England, I suppose most of the S English now of course are heavily Anglicized, so culturally the link is weak, and the cultural link to wales remains, in language and culture, but it appears the Genetic link to the South of old Britannia remains fairly strong.

Tolan
07-25-2017, 10:53 AM
Hey Tolan, its nice to see some Breton results on here from LDNA, I always wondered what such a result might be for a Breton, I suppose it might be showing you which areas your Breton ancestors inhabited in Britannia before migrating to Armornica.
Sort of makes sense really, that most of them would have been from the South of England, I suppose most of the S English now of course are heavily Anglicized, so culturally the link is weak, and the cultural link to wales remains, in language and culture, but it appears the Genetic link to the South of old Britannia remains fairly strong.

I think I have almost no Breton ancestors from the British Isles.
My region of Brittany (very eastern) really stayed away from migrations.
The link between my ancestors and the British Isles is probably anterior to the Breton migrations.
And it would be interesting to compare my results with Bretons of the West (Finistériens, costarmoricains).

ADW_1981
07-25-2017, 12:35 PM
The link between my ancestors and the British Isles is probably anterior to the Breton migrations.
And it would be interesting to compare my results with Bretons of the West (Finistériens, costarmoricains).

It could be, as you said earlier, because LivingDNA doesn't have a good French reference population. Only 4.6% French? Doesn't make sense. Perhaps some is encapsulated in the Tuscany and Iberian portion as well.

JohnHowellsTyrfro
07-25-2017, 12:36 PM

I think at the moment it's difficult to pick out what might be Welsh or Irish maybe because of limited testing. I have quite substantial South Welsh and borders ancestry but a significant part of Wales was affected considerably by post- Norman period migration.
I'm not at all convinced "Cornish" is really Cornish and I wonder about Orkney too. I think maybe regional populations with a similar historical composition are being confused with others to some extent.
In a way it makes sense that your "British" similarities would be seen mostly in the areas closest to France I would have thought? John

sktibo
07-25-2017, 03:55 PM
I would have expected a higher Cornish percentage, followed by Welsh. I'm very surprised to see that you get more Ireland than many people with actual Irish ancestry

MacEochaidh
07-25-2017, 04:53 PM
I am 25% French Canadian with most of my ancestry from Brittany and Normandy. I also have one line from Auvergne. This is what I get on LDNA "Complete" mode:

Europe (South) 12.2%
Tuscany 10.6%
Iberian Peninsula 1.6%

Europe (North and West) 5%
France 5%

In other modes the France 5% remains and 12.2% is unassigned.

E_M81_I3A
07-25-2017, 05:05 PM
As I said in another thread I think "Great Britain and Ireland" results are not very reliable as even someone like me (50% South East French from Alps) with no ancestor from Great Britain gets 25% :

Great Britain and Ireland 25.2%

East Anglia-related ancestry 20.3%
Cumbria-related ancestry 3.8%
South Wales-related ancestry 1.1

Pylsteen
07-25-2017, 05:13 PM
As I said in another thread I think "Great Britain and Ireland" results are not very reliable as even someone like me (50% South East French from Alps)

Just a thought: East Anglian-related ancestry can be interpreted as Germanic ancestry; though I agree you should have gotten more French, which seems an issue with them, but maybe some of it is from Burgundian tribes?

avalon
07-25-2017, 06:20 PM
I must admit, I find it strange that LivingDNA does such a poor job with French ancestry. Presumably LivingDNA have access to the full POBI data and from that study there were 3 France sample locations and one of them was in Rennes, so very close to the part of Brittany that Tolan comes from.

avalon
07-25-2017, 06:50 PM

This is an interesting point. Do you think there would be a big difference between you and someone from Western Brittany, such as Finistere?

I'm sure you are aware of this paper, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4795055/ which does suggest that the western parts of Brittany display the most genetic differentiation in that particular study.

Tolan
07-26-2017, 03:44 AM
This is an interesting point. Do you think there would be a big difference between you and someone from Western Brittany, such as Finistere?

I'm sure you are aware of this paper, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4795055/ which does suggest that the western parts of Brittany display the most genetic differentiation in that particular study.

Here is a pca of this study that I realized:

Numbers 29, 56 and 22 are together, these are Finistère, Morbihan and Côtes d'Armor.
I am from 35 (Ille et Vilaine), on the border with 53 (Mayenne).
So, yes, probably there is a difference between us.

avalon
07-26-2017, 09:01 AM
Here is a pca of this study that I realized:

Numbers 29, 56 and 22 are together, these are Finistère, Morbihan and Côtes d'Armor.
I am from 35 (Ille et Vilaine), on the border with 53 (Mayenne).
So, yes, probably there is a difference between us.

Interesting. We won't really know until we see LivingDNA results but my guess would be that someone from Western Brittany might show higher % of Wales and Cornwall. Although, the Breton migration was 1600 years ago so genetic drift may have come in to play enough to differentiate modern Bretons from modern Cornish/Welsh.

E_M81_I3A
07-27-2017, 04:35 PM
I must admit, I find it strange that LivingDNA does such a poor job with French ancestry. Presumably LivingDNA have access to the full POBI data and from that study there were 3 France sample locations and one of them was in Rennes, so very close to the part of Brittany that Tolan comes from.

I asked LivingDna about my low percentage for French ancestry and this is what they replied :

"France is an region that we are looking to improve this is difficult because testing is somewhat illegal in France. If you have French ancestry but it was not inferred as strongly as you expected: French ancestry will only be perfectly recovered if you resemble the French individuals in our panel, from the North of the country. Ancestry from other regions of France will use some of the neighbouring populations. South East England is the most common substitute from the UK.

I can see that you have also got a call for Central England, East Anglia, Lincolnshire and Southeast England where the top contributor to that signature is France at 14.20% of the signature."

and similarly regarding my low North African percentage :

"Migrations, trade, and invasions into and out of the region from surrounding areas means that the people here have a rich and complex population history. The genetic footprint of North Africa represents an amalgamation of influences from Sub-Saharan Africa, Europe, and the Middle East. Prehistoric migration from the Levant seems to have had the biggest impact on the region, as the first farmers swept across much of Eurasia. In contrast, the Islamic expansions of the 7th and 8th Centuries brought tremendous political and social change to North Africa, but appear to have had little genetic impact as mass conversions of local inhabitants seems to have been more common with little settlement by Arab invaders.

Over time we will be adding many more samples to our population reference sets so I am sure that your results will change to reflect this "

Tolan
07-30-2017, 06:16 PM
I asked LivingDna about my low percentage for French ancestry and this is what they replied :

"France is an region that we are looking to improve this is difficult because testing is somewhat illegal in France. If you have French ancestry but it was not inferred as strongly as you expected: French ancestry will only be perfectly recovered if you resemble the French individuals in our panel, from the North of the country. Ancestry from other regions of France will use some of the neighbouring populations. South East England is the most common substitute from the UK.

I can see that you have also got a call for Central England, East Anglia, Lincolnshire and Southeast England where the top contributor to that signature is France at 14.20% of the signature."

and similarly regarding my low North African percentage :

"Migrations, trade, and invasions into and out of the region from surrounding areas means that the people here have a rich and complex population history. The genetic footprint of North Africa represents an amalgamation of influences from Sub-Saharan Africa, Europe, and the Middle East. Prehistoric migration from the Levant seems to have had the biggest impact on the region, as the first farmers swept across much of Eurasia. In contrast, the Islamic expansions of the 7th and 8th Centuries brought tremendous political and social change to North Africa, but appear to have had little genetic impact as mass conversions of local inhabitants seems to have been more common with little settlement by Arab invaders.

Over time we will be adding many more samples to our population reference sets so I am sure that your results will change to reflect this "

In the 25.2%, what are the regions of the British Isles that you have?