PDA

View Full Version : Swedish DNA Project

greerpalmer
07-27-2017, 10:10 PM
On instagram living DNA posted a photo of their new banners looking for volunteers for the Swedish DNA project. Looks like the project is looking into 10 different regions of Sweden.

timberwolf
07-27-2017, 10:21 PM
It would be good, if they were also to set up projects for both France and Spain.

Pylsteen
07-27-2017, 10:40 PM
Wow, that's ambitious! I wonder what will happen, also seeing the German projects, with the inbetween areas, like Norway, Denmark and the Benelux; France needs a project too, but the law is strict. Can't someone persuade Macron? He does seem to like science.

timberwolf
07-28-2017, 12:24 AM
Wow, that's ambitious! I wonder what will happen, also seeing the German projects, with the inbetween areas, like Norway, Denmark and the Benelux; France needs a project too, but the law is strict. Can't someone persuade Macron? He does seem to like science.

Why so strict in France?

Pylsteen
07-28-2017, 07:24 AM
Why so strict in France?

Almost every DNA test apparently "could" be interpreted as a paternity test, and only officially approved paternity tests are allowed. I don't know exactly how this works, maybe they think that it could infringe parents' rights if someone takes a test without them knowing.

sktibo
07-28-2017, 04:07 PM
A swedish DNA project, that seems like it would be fairly low priority compared to countries like France, which would be beneficial to people with ancestry from not only France but neighboring regions

greerpalmer
07-28-2017, 08:56 PM
A swedish DNA project, that seems like it would be fairly low priority compared to countries like France, which would be beneficial to people with ancestry from not only France but neighboring regions

But again, autosomal DNA tests are illegal in France. Sure, they could collect samples from anonymous individuals, but it would be difficult to incentive participation--currently they offer a discount on kits for participants, but if you can't use the test as currency....

I'm guessing Scandinavian ancestry is high in most British Isles admixtures. As for why they chose Sweden over, say, Denmark--who knows.

Pylsteen
07-29-2017, 10:30 AM
They are focussed on Britain, which is their home of course; the German project is a very good idea, both for Brits, and of course to make the test more attractive for many Americans; I would say Spain would be interesting too.

07-29-2017, 11:03 AM
Just an idea isn’t there circ 100s thousands French expats in and around London? That would be more than enough for their sample set.
They just need a way to target these individuals.

sktibo
07-29-2017, 07:11 PM
Could do a French Canadian project, might be the next best thing, or at the very least, just collect more French samples from French Canadian sources

sktibo
07-29-2017, 07:16 PM
But again, autosomal DNA tests are illegal in France. Sure, they could collect samples from anonymous individuals, but it would be difficult to incentive participation--currently they offer a discount on kits for participants, but if you can't use the test as currency....

I'm guessing Scandinavian ancestry is high in most British Isles admixtures. As for why they chose Sweden over, say, Denmark--who knows.

Completely agree Denmark would have been a better project option. They did mention that they were planning on doing a French DNA project, if they don't give the participants DNA results and just use their DNA I don't think it could be considered any sort of paternity test and wouldn't be a problem.. i suppose they might have to pay participants or something though.. incentive as you said will be a problem